Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,373,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Functional MRI makes use of a special signal called blood oxygen level dependent (BOLD) contrast.

It also uses GLM as a statistical model...and has to be rendered with....

Spoiler
A COMPUTER MODEL

Functional magnetic resonance imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your dishonesty knows no bounds. That is not what you were initially referring to. What you now seem to be objecting to is using graphic representation of a signal.

How do you cope with watching TV? Or viewing the computer screen you are using right now?

Heaven help you if you ever get a brain tumor. "Oh noez! Don't come near me with that fMRI thingie! It's all a conspiracy by the lefties and the gayz!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 04:33 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,907,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Your dishonesty knows no bounds. That is not what you were initially referring to. What you now seem to be objecting to is using graphic representation of a signal.

How do you cope with watching TV? Or viewing the computer screen you are using right now?

Heaven help you if you ever get a brain tumor. "Oh noez! Don't come near me with that fMRI thingie! It's all a conspiracy by the lefties and the gayz!"
If you cannot distinguish the MAJOR difference in using statistical analysis to visually represent a cellular mass as opposed to a higher order of functionality, which is totally intangible, then you are a totally lost being.

And the irony is you clown people daily for subscribing to their personal flavor of spookism....

Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
If you cannot distinguish the MAJOR difference in using statistical analysis to visually represent a cellular mass as opposed to a higher order of functionality, which is totally intangible, then you are a totally lost being.

And the irony is you clown people daily for subscribing to their personal flavor of spookism....
Do you really have no clue about how the brain works?
There is nothing 'intangible' about the structure of the brain, blood flow and the firing of neurones.

Perhaps the reason why you don't seem to be able to think rationally is an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and over reactive amygdalae.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Do you really have no clue about how the brain works?
There is nothing 'intangible' about the structure of the brain, blood flow and the firing of neurones.

Perhaps the reason why you don't seem to be able to think rationally is an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and over reactive amygdalae.
Yes, blood flows to the brain... OMG YOU JUST CRACKED THE CODE!!!

Thanks...I never knew that. I never knew what a neuron was. Thanks for telling me "neurons fire off". I'm pretty sure you don't even know what the hell you mean by that. But yes, the brain is a network and neurons "talk" to each other.

Maybe you are trying to get at "We all have the same brain more or less" so this should be pretty easy stuff for science to figure out, eh? And that may be true from a physiological standpoint. But THOUGHTS and perception are not, by any stretch of the imagination, "tangible". And to say we are close to understanding how thoughts and emotions come from the "visualizing of neurons firing off" is a lie.

Not to hijack anymore...if you feel that passionately about your cute picture taking mechanism....make a thread on it.

But, fMRI is a computer model of the brain...just like global warming uses a climate model...

It's not reality or a representation....it's an interpretation.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, blood flows to the brain... OMG YOU JUST CRACKED THE CODE!!!

Thanks...I never knew that. I never knew what a neuron was. Thanks for telling me "neurons fire off". I'm pretty sure you don't even know what the hell you mean by that. But yes, the brain is a network and neurons "talk" to each other.

Maybe you are trying to get at "We all have the same brain more or less" so this should be pretty easy stuff for science to figure out, eh? And that may be true from a physiological standpoint. But THOUGHTS and perception are not, by any stretch of the imagination, "tangible". And to say we are close to understanding how thoughts and emotions come from the "visualizing of neurons firing off" is a lie.

Not to hijack anymore...if you feel that passionately about your cute picture taking mechanism....make a thread on it.

But, fMRI is a computer model of the brain...just like global warming uses a climate model...

It's not reality or a representation....it's an interpretation.
Okay so you really don't know how the brain works. And you created yet another couple of straw man statements and used a really stupid analogy. All so you could feel like you actually 'won' something.

Like I said... an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and over reactive amygdalae.... plus ignorance, plus arrogance.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Okay so you really don't know how the brain works. And you created yet another couple of straw man statements and used a really stupid analogy.

Like I said... an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and over reactive amygdalae.... plus ignorance.
Yes, and you know what? The functions of the amygdalae and cortex etc. etc. have only been observed in the presence of TWO things....

1 - in the presence of physical damage to said areas

or

2 - physically sticking stuff into living peoples brains

NOT by statistical models whose interpretations are subjective and completely dependent on nailing all parameters.

It's nothing to do with MY pre-frontal cortex or my amygdala...it's just you loving to bathe in your own muck.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 AM

27,522 posts, read 28,613,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
In essence, is the creator myth simply a story made up by control freaks or the well-intentioned passed down for millenia in various cultures in various ways or was it simply originally a tale of people with an overwhelmingly advanced technological progress who visited and shaped what we were and what we are?
It is mainly the second of the three choices. Creation myths were a kind of "best guess" about how things came to be in an era when scientific knowledge as we know it did not exist.

People would have believed that God other supernatural beings were communicating with them through dreams, hallucinations and such. Schizophrenics would of course have been convinced of this. With nothing else to go on, imaginations were free to run wild. And stories told were passed down from generation to generation and became codified as part of the culture.

All in all, it was a nice try. But no cigars to offer here. (Well, not until Chuck D came along anyway).

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-24-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Everything simply popping into existence IS rational?

What would you say to the child hat said the glass of water just popped into existence?

you people are so afraid that children may mention a higher power that you would rather stunt intellectual debate than have an open discussion.
why do all conservatives equate a reluctance to teach religion in public schools with fear?

And about that glass of water; the better question would be where did the water in the glass come from.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,192,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This sounds reasonable.

Creation science could be taught in the public schools in a comparative religion curriculum. It can be argued that it is important that it be taught in order that the students become fully aware of the range of beliefs about origins among different religions. But, in order to be constitutional in the U.S.:

Creation science can only be taught as a concept that some people believe in; it cannot be taught as actual truth.

Creation science based on the biblical book of Genesis cannot constitutionally be discussed in isolation. The beliefs of other religions, and of secular movements would have to be taught along with the Judeo-Christian-Muslim belief. Otherwise, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam would seen as being promoted by the school as superior to other religions and to a secular lifestyle.

Teaching of evolution in U.S. schools
Comparative religion is a college course. Other than religious schools, I have never seen any public k-12 school that had a religious studies course.

Let the kids wait until college to take comparative religion, they can pay for it too.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, and you know what? The functions of the amygdalae and cortex etc. etc. have only been observed in the presence of TWO things....

1 - in the presence of physical damage to said areas

or

2 - physically sticking stuff into living peoples brains

NOT by statistical models whose interpretations are subjective and completely dependent on nailing all parameters.

It's nothing to do with MY pre-frontal cortex or my amygdala...it's just you loving to bathe in your own muck.
blah blah waffle blah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies