Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, in most cases it's the government.

I always find it bizarre that the OWS poster completely omits the fact that most european countries with "free college" use selective tracking and only the "better students" get free college while the rest get pushed off onto service job tracks or truck driving school etc.

That's the rub, we have more choice and control but there are absolutely predatory (or close enough) schools out there oh too happy to rack up student loan debt on you.

To that extent I don't have a problem with many of the proposals, especially those aimed at cracking down on those crap psuedo-colleges.

Some of the aspects make me nervous....basically, because I make a higher income I'm going to pick up the bill for all of these larger pell grants, loan forgiveness etc. while my kids won't be eligible for a penny....because we have a student loan "crisis" driven by some kids that couldn't lower themselves to do 2 years of Jr. College and working a job etc......nooooooo they had to go spend 4-5 years at a private school so they could graduate with their teaching degree or whatever along with 150k worth of debt.

A lot of the problem with higher education is that the students don't make good choices, they don't take the time to educated themselves on college debt and dig themselves a big hole because they feel entitled to what they want rather than what they can afford. Here lies personal responsibility RIP.

I don't think that this true any longer. My wife decided to return to school and I am the person who fills out all the online forms for student loans and such. The website has multiple pages of information about loan debt and repayment options that must be signed off on BEFORE they will even let you complete an application for aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I think the subjective part is more important.

Even if someone scores well on the SATs it does not mean they are ready to go away to college.
Those are 2 different issues.

Admissions based upon criteria like GPA, test scores etc.

The decision on if or WHERE to go and so forth however is up to the family.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You could be right. This plan, like HCR, has way too much Conservative influence in it's structure. Higher Ed should not cost the student anything, that would make it a pretty progressive plan.
" Higher Ed should not cost the student anything," I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that YOU are in favor of MORE gov't give aways, at the rest of the taxpayers expense.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You could be right. This plan, like HCR, has way too much Conservative influence in it's structure. Higher Ed should not cost the student anything, that would make it a pretty progressive plan.
By having government get involved in financing higher education, the costs of higher education skyrocketed. Now that the costs are so high, the obvious solution is to have the federal government pay them. That will solve the problem.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Pages and pages of conservatives encouraging trade school over college. I'm not shocked

Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
A lot of people aren't cut for any kind of schooling. Problem is the kinds of jobs people like that used to do are ever so dwindling.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Believe it or not learning a skilled trade requires the same amount of intelligence and dedication that college requires.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Pages and pages of conservatives encouraging trade school over college. I'm not shocked
My cousin the plumber makes more money than the vast majority of my college educated relatives and didn't have student loans to pay off either.

What's with the snobbery towards trade schools?

For some kids, it's an excellent choice.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I don't think that this true any longer. My wife decided to return to school and I am the person who fills out all the online forms for student loans and such. The website has multiple pages of information about loan debt and repayment options that must be signed off on BEFORE they will even let you complete an application for aid.
I'm sure it's gotten better since college debt has gotten a lot more attention in recent years. Some people just won't listen though and just don't have a concept of what their degree will pay or think about how they will handle a 100k student loan debt on top of living costs.

There are just a whole bunch of people out there with really really low financial IQ's.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It works in Europe because not everyone goes to college.
That wouldn't fly here because of "discrimination" against non-smart people.
The progressives in Europe are smarter than the ones here because they know that everyone is not a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Who then decides what is "unqualified" ?
They have certain tests u take as u progress in public schools. U don't do well they will dissuade u and re direct u to a vocational professional.

It's very ironic that Dems and liberals in this country. For as much as they support European social programs. Liberals are against this method to make college more elitist.

That's what they do in other countries. Some kids are not made out for college.

Many European countries you do bad in secondary schools you are essentially done with any chance of post secondary education (college). And that's the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies