U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
53,292 posts, read 31,790,498 times
Reputation: 91506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Osama bin Laden never received aid from the US. While it is true that Reagan, with Congress' approval, provided financial and military support for the Afghan Mujahideen from 1981 through 1988, Osama bin Laden was never a part of that organization. Furthermore, Osama bin Laden did not leave Sudan for Afghanistan until 1989, after Reagan had already left office.
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure if Bin Laden was a member of the Afghan Mujahideen organization, I wanted to let Don Draper, and others who think Reagan knowingly helped Bin Laden, to know that OBL never received any aid from the United States while Reagan was in office. The aid we gave the Mujahideen organization was to fight "The Evil Empire", as Reagan referred to the Soviet Union back in the early 1980s.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,384 posts, read 4,819,204 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Obama isn't the divider. its the nutcase gop who are the dividers. rather than compromise on trying to grow the economy, they rather focus on legislating reproductive rights of women, redefine "rape", and provide no alternative to the horrendous health care situation in our country.
Interesting notion... Let me pose this question to you.

WHY do the "nutcase GOP" oppose Obama supposedly so much more, than the "LWNJ's", did to Reagan. Could it be the way the message was delivered. The fact that Reagan actually listened to people?

As for the rest of your diatribe, Legislating reproductive rights? Do you mean requesting you pay for your OWN preventative measures? Really? The one people wanting to redefine rape are a few really way out wingnuts. As for alternative, over one dozen alternatives have been proposed and either shot down by democrats or just totally ignored.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,519 posts, read 40,974,428 times
Reputation: 13601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Osama bin Laden never received aid from the US. While it is true that Reagan, with Congress' approval, provided financial and military support for the Afghan Mujahideen from 1981 through 1988, Osama bin Laden was never a part of that organization. Furthermore, Osama bin Laden did not leave Sudan for Afghanistan until 1989, after Reagan had already left office.
OBL was in involved in that timeframe, and did in fact work closely with the Pakistani leaders who received money directly from US, but of course the US could not have known what his future had in store for us.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Florida
73,519 posts, read 40,974,428 times
Reputation: 13601
Bowing down to Mao

Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,824 posts, read 21,768,806 times
Reputation: 6526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
OBL was in involved in that timeframe, and did in fact work closely with the Pakistani leaders who received money directly from US, but of course the US could not have known what his future had in store for us.
Osama bin Laden did work with Pakistan in 1989 and 1990. More specifically, Osama bin Laden worked with the Pakistani ISI, creators of the Taliban. He had absolutely nothing to do with the Afghan Mujahideen, nor did the US provide funds to Pakistan during the 1980s or 1990s. The US funded the Afghan Mujahideen beginning with Carter in 1980 and throughout Reagan's two terms, which ultimately became the Afghan Northern Alliance, and enemy of the Pakistani Taliban.

Once again, the US provided no support, directly or indirectly, to Osama bin Laden or his al Qaeda organization. The bulk of Osama bin Laden's funding came from Saudi charities.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,777 posts, read 12,836,930 times
Reputation: 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Are you blind? The tax-cut was 1981 and 1983. Revenue for 1982 is much lower than 1981 and 1984 and 1985 are still lower than 1981. The gains are merely the effect of inflation and population growth, which tend to increase revenue regardless of tax policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Taxes were too high at that time and cutting them was appropriate. Let's not forget that he also removed tons of loopholes, so a lot of people who were taking advantage of the loopholes ended up with a tax hike, not a cut.
in the first part of your post you said that taxes were too high and Reagan cut them. In the next sentence you said he cut loopholes and therefore raised taxes. Can't have it both ways. If he really didn't, then that undercuts your argument that cutting taxes raises more revenue.

In any case, the aggregate effect of Reaganomics was to cut taxes, mostly on the upper bracket and cut spending in areas that mattered to the poor, like Revenue Sharing, which funded education in poor states.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,519 posts, read 40,974,428 times
Reputation: 13601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Osama bin Laden did work with Pakistan in 1989 and 1990. More specifically, Osama bin Laden worked with the Pakistani ISI, creators of the Taliban. He had absolutely nothing to do with the Afghan Mujahideen, nor did the US provide funds to Pakistan during the 1980s or 1990s. The US funded the Afghan Mujahideen beginning with Carter in 1980 and throughout Reagan's two terms, which ultimately became the Afghan Northern Alliance, and enemy of the Pakistani Taliban.
He was involved much before that, even in 1979 and he was indeed helping the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. Al Qaeda itself was not formed until 1988. Maybe that is where the confusion stems from. You are incorrect in saying US did not provide funds to Pakistan during the 1980s, because we did. We helped the Afghans through Pakistan.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,519 posts, read 40,974,428 times
Reputation: 13601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
in the first part of your post you said that taxes were too high and Reagan cut them. In the next sentence you said he cut loopholes and therefore raised taxes. Can't have it both ways. If he really didn't, then that undercuts your argument that cutting taxes raises more revenue.

In any case, the aggregate effect of Reaganomics was to cut taxes, mostly on the upper bracket and cut spending in areas that mattered to the poor, like Revenue Sharing, which funded education in poor states.
You can have it both ways, and Reagan did have it both ways. He cut the tax rates, and he also removed loopholes. It was the sensible thing to do. As a matter of fact Obama has proposed twice to do the very same thing with corporate taxes, but GOP argues the removal of loopholes is a tax hike, and therefore out of the question ().
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,824 posts, read 21,768,806 times
Reputation: 6526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He was involved much before that, even in 1979 and he was indeed helping the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. Al Qaeda itself was not formed until 1988. Maybe that is where the confusion stems from. You are incorrect in saying US did not provide funds to Pakistan during the 1980s, because we did. We helped the Afghans through Pakistan.
Osama bin Laden did not arrive in Afghanistan from Sudan until 1989, and al Qaeda was formed in 1991 with Pakistan's help through the Taliban. In 1979 Osama bin Laden was still living in Saudi Arabia. Pakistan is, and always has been, the enemy of the Afghan Mujahideen (a.k.a. Northern Alliance). You are seriously misinformed. Not a single US penny went to Pakistan until after 09/11/2001.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,824 posts, read 21,768,806 times
Reputation: 6526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can have it both ways, and Reagan did have it both ways. He cut the tax rates, and he also removed loopholes. It was the sensible thing to do. As a matter of fact Obama has proposed twice to do the very same thing with corporate taxes, but GOP argues the removal of loopholes is a tax hike, and therefore out of the question ().
Presidents do not cut or raise tax rates. Nor do Presidents create or remove tax loopholes. People who blame or credit Presidents for acts of Congress clearly do not know how their own government functions.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top