Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Obama isn't the divider. its the nutcase gop who are the dividers. rather than compromise on trying to grow the economy, they rather focus on legislating reproductive rights of women, redefine "rape", and provide no alternative to the horrendous health care situation in our country.
NEWFLASH .... the healthcare system is worse after Obamacare and with it ohh and all those folks are still uninsured.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Here's a funny story about RR from The Age of Reagan by Steven Hayward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward
When the TV networks installed cameras with powerful telephoto lenses on a nearby peak to peer down on the ranch, Reagan wanted to fake a heart attack and fall off his horse as a prank. The Secret Service talked him out of it, warning that the hair-trigger news networks might rush to broadcast the story, potentially crashing the stock market....

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
NEWFLASH .... the healthcare system is worse after Obamacare and with it ohh and all those folks are still uninsured.
newsflash : No it isn't. My cousin's daughter was born with leukemia. When she became an adult and sought to get insurance on her own, no insurance provider would cover her because of her "pre-existing" condition.

today, she has insurance coverage, through her employer.

Tell me how that is worse

Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Reagan has reached "mythological" status among consevatives, but not the whole of the American people. Compare Reagan to other presidents who have reached overall "mythilogical" status and he would not fair as well.

Most people do not remember the Reagan era first hand. Americans are living through the Obama era.

Apples and oranges.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
When I was reading recently about Reagan's first term it occurred to me that there were a lot of similarities between 1980 and 2008. The economy had been a wreck in the late 1970's. I remember hearing the same stories then that we hear now, of guys with graduate degrees driving cabs. The problems continued into the early part of Reagan's first term. In fall 1982, unemployment peaked at 10.8 percent. The peak rate after the 2008 crash was 10.2, in Oct, 2009.

But later it hit me that there was one huge difference. It was a kind of "dog that didn't bark" thing: at least in the reading I did, Reagan never spent time blaming Carter. Instead he focused on his policies, and implicitly seemed to accept that the responsibility for getting the ship out of dangerous waters were now his.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I was reading recently about Reagan's first term it occurred to me that there were a lot of similarities between 1980 and 2008. The economy had been a wreck in the late 1970's. I remember hearing the same stories then that we hear now, of guys with graduate degrees driving cabs. The problems continued into the early part of Reagan's first term. In fall 1982, unemployment peaked at 10.8 percent. The peak rate after the 2008 crash was 10.2, in Oct, 2009.

But later it hit me that there was one huge difference. It was a kind of "dog that didn't bark" thing: at least in the reading I did, Reagan never spent time blaming Carter. Instead he focused on his policies, and implicitly seemed to accept that the responsibility for getting the ship out of dangerous waters were now his.

Reagan blamed other administrations for the recession he inherited.

SOTU 1982:

The last decade has seen a series of recessions. There was a recession in 1970, in 1974, and again in the spring of 1980. Each time, unemployment increased and inflation soon turned up again. We coined the word "stagflation" to describe this.
Government's response to these recessions was to pump up the money supply and increase spending. In the last 6 months of 1980, as an example, the money supply increased at the fastest rate in postwar history—13 percent. Inflation remained in double digits, and government spending

SOTU 1983:
As we gather here tonight, the state of our Union is strong, but our economy is troubled. For too many of our fellow citizens-farmers, steel and auto workers, lumbermen, black teenagers, working mothers-this is a painful period. We must all do everything in our power to bring their ordeal to an end. It has fallen to us, in our time, to undo damage that was a long time in the making, and to begin the hard but necessary task of building a better future for ourselves and our children..."

Last edited by carterstamp; 08-23-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Reagan was respected by both sides.
Obama is barely respected by his own.
Reagan was able to reach across and find compromise.
Obama only divides.
Reagan could speak to the masses without need of a teleprompter
Obama well we all know.
Both survived scandals.
Both seem to have a cult following.
Both have apologists

Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
newsflash : No it isn't. My cousin's daughter was born with leukemia. When she became an adult and sought to get insurance on her own, no insurance provider would cover her because of her "pre-existing" condition.

today, she has insurance coverage, through her employer.

Tell me how that is worse
It was ALWAYS illegal to discriminate through ones employer.

You either dont have all the details, or lying through your ass..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In terms of policy, they did just about the same thing.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Reagan belived in America. He believed in the people. I'm not arguing his policies were right or wrong. The man was a great president. Obama thinks America is wrong. That is where the problem is. Show me where Obama has spoken about America like Reagan did? The "light" of the world so to say which the US is. Now if you don't believe that then you are on Obama's level. The US was ready to go down in '80 and Reagan brought us back with his policies (not gonna debate that in this thread) and mostly his attitude that the US is great. First thing the man did was get our hostages back. USA........USA......USA.......we need that attitude back and Obama isn't bringing it.
I honestly feel you are seeing what you want to see. Obama is a much better speaker than Reagan was, even though Reagan was great too, he was an actor after all and in a way Obama is a great actor as well.

Obama is very positive about America. I figure you just hear what you want to hear because even I, someone who voted for Obama, thinks he can go on and on about how great America is and how great the American people are (our spirit, our workers, our industry, and further blahblahblah) and I actually do love my country a great deal, but it can get sickening how much he talks about it.

I believe both Obama and Reagan care(s or d) about this country. For you to think that Reagan and Obama's policies were similar and the only difference is Reagan's "view" or "speeches" about America were better, that is just your personal opinion. And hopefully someone mentioned that Reagan really didn't get our hostages back. Iran just waited until Carter was gone before releasing them, Carter laid the groundwork, they didn't like Carter (like the majority of Americans at the time) and so they waited for him to leave before releasing our hostages.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Reagan was respected by both sides.
Obama is barely respected by his own.
Reagan was able to reach across and find compromise.
Obama only divides.
Reagan could speak to the masses without need of a teleprompter
Obama well we all know.
Both survived scandals.
Both seem to have a cult following.
Both have apologists
Wanted to say that in regards to the bold above, I think you have to consider the fact that the Democrats, unlike todays GOP did not go into a hissy fit when their party didn't win. They knew they had to re-invent themselves away from the uber left activist and find more common ground and so they worked with Reagan to get things accomplished.

Reagan didn't have to reach across anything, people reached for him and were willing to do their jobs as elected officials instead of whining and blaming and getting nothing accomplished.

Even though I do not have a fully positive view of either of our major parties, the fact remains that when Democrats are in the minority, in our recent history, they are more likely to compromise than the GOP of today. They were and are not as disrespectful to the a GOP president. Even though many extreme liberals and even moderate liberals hated GW Bush with a passion, he was never ridiculed by publically elected officials during national addresses like the GOP party members have done to Obama.

The stalemate that we see amongst our parties, I feel is mostly caused by the GOP especially those in the extreme right, they have even driven out moderate, respectable Republicans or ridiculed them for being a RINO.

In todays day and age, Reagan would not even have made in on the ticket. He was not in the right enough. He would be a RINO. He and Obama are probably the most alike of any two presidents in the last 40 years. Democrats were willing to see the good in Reagan, hence his re-election in 84 as many Dems voted for him. Republicans, today, are not willing to see anything about Obama except the negatives that the media feeds them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies