Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It was ALWAYS illegal to discriminate through ones employer.
She couldn't get insurance through her employer since she had a pre-existing condition. She had to pay for each procedure on her own and go through a pre-existing condition exclusion (12 months) before she could take advantage of her own insurance coverage to cover her procedures (which were still higher than someone who got cancer later in life).

Through her employer now, she didn't have to go through a pre-existing condition exclusion. And her monthly premiums are a LOT lower than when she had insurance on her own.

Quote:
You either dont have all the details, or lying through your ass..
the only one lying right now, is the person who is passing his opinions off as fact.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Reagan blamed other administrations for the recession he inherited.

SOTU 1982:

The last decade has seen a series of recessions. There was a recession in 1970, in 1974, and again in the spring of 1980. Each time, unemployment increased and inflation soon turned up again. We coined the word "stagflation" to describe this.
Government's response to these recessions was to pump up the money supply and increase spending. In the last 6 months of 1980, as an example, the money supply increased at the fastest rate in postwar history—13 percent. Inflation remained in double digits, and government spending

SOTU 1983:
As we gather here tonight, the state of our Union is strong, but our economy is troubled. For too many of our fellow citizens-farmers, steel and auto workers, lumbermen, black teenagers, working mothers-this is a painful period. We must all do everything in our power to bring their ordeal to an end. It has fallen to us, in our time, to undo damage that was a long time in the making, and to begin the hard but necessary task of building a better future for ourselves and our children..."
The first quote is not blaming anyone, it is just a recounting of some economic history. The second quote does point a finger, albeit not specifically at Carter. When he says the damage "was a long time in the making," it is vague, but fair to say that he was probably thinking pre-Carter.

So anyway, you found one quote where Reagan casts vague blame. Here are 15 from Pres. Obama, many expressly aimed at George W. Bush:

President Obama’s Hall of Blame | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The OP said, "Times are different but much the same. Country was in a mess back then and now. Carter left it for Reagan and Bush left it for Obama. So what does a leader do?? Reagan went out and told the world how great America was and will be at every chance. The American dream can be achieved. He took on the biggest threat not with a war but with idea's. The wall came down and that made every liberal very upset. Why they can't even tell anyone. Reagan spoke of responsibility, accountability, family and country something liberals can't ever imagine. A great leader. A man who loved his country."

Reaganists credit the fall of the USSR to Reagan but the USSR fell via its own weight. There was no Reagan policy that caused it. On responsibility, Reagan is responsible for tripling the debt. On accountability, his Administration carried out an illegal war in Central America and stonewalled the investigation. He sold chemical weapons to Iraq that were used on the Kurds. He sold weapons to Afghan fighters to use against Russia. Those fighters became the Taliban.
Family? Reagan was divorced and was said not to be a supportive father.(http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/bo...anted=all&_r=0) In any case, nobody can claim that Obama is anything but a fine father to his daughters. In addition, although calls from the right-wing that "Obama hates America," are absurd. Obama loves America as much as Reagan did.

Oh, the OP characterizes liberal views on the Berlin Wall. Liberals were not "upset" when the wall came down. The OP must not of paid attention in history class. The first president to criticize the wall was that liberal, President John F. Kennedy.

The OP is also wrong about the times being much the same. No they aren't. In Reagan's time, political bipartisanship meant something. It was an era in which Democrats and Republicans agreed on basic values and could cooperate across party lines. Today, conservative Republicans do not agree on America's basic values, such as progressive income taxes and a social safety net.

Basically, the OP is loose with facts and heavy on unfounded Reagan lionization.
If I could, I would rep this post ten times. This, in a nutshell, is the real St. Ronnie, especially the parts in bold, as opposed to the revisionist history as told by the right. Very well stated.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
She couldn't get insurance through her employer since she had a pre-existing condition. She had to pay for each procedure on her own and go through a pre-existing condition exclusion (12 months) before she could take advantage of her own insurance coverage to cover her procedures (which were still higher than someone who got cancer later in life).

Through her employer now, she didn't have to go through a pre-existing condition exclusion. And her monthly premiums are a LOT lower than when she had insurance on her own.

the only one lying right now, is the person who is passing his opinions off as fact.
Pre-existing conditions were not allowed to be limited through ones employer, even before obamacare.

Again, you're lying, or dont have all the facts.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Reagan vs Obama

There is no comparison between the two. Reagan was a great President, and Obama is a dud.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Reagan was a great president and leader. obama is neither. Looking at a couple comments here shows us how little the left understands anything but division and hatred.
How do you feel about knowing Reagan was into the "occult" along with his wife Nancy? It is a fact. They hired a fortune teller to come to their home where they studied the "stars" The Bible has allot to say about people that mess with occult. Of course if you aren't a Christian this means little.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:

Although it pains me to say so, pghquest is right (for once.) Employer provided policies cannot bar pre-existing conditions.

See here: Karl Rove Shouldn’t Pretend He Understands Health Policy

Quote:
Well, employment-based health insurance is tax-advantaged: it’s a benefit employers can provide that isn’t counted as taxable income, which makes it better, in some cases, than offering higher wages instead.

But for company health plans to receive this tax-advantaged status, they have to obey ERISA rules, which essentially require that the same benefits be made available to all full-time employees — no discrimination based on health history, and you can’t provide benefits only to your highest-paid workers. So employer-based insurance is, when you come down to it, a lot like Obamacare, with enforced non-discrimination and a fair bit of subsidization of less-well-paid workers.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Obama doesn't believe in America. Reagan did. That is it basically. Who do you want as your leader? I want somebody who will be on our side but the fact is I don't think Obama is. Of course that makes me a racist which is part of the problme too. We need a leader not a divider as president. A real leader. The population will follow along. Liberals don't want that though....
I laugh when I hear neo-cons suggest they know what Obama believes in...

Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
newsflash : No it isn't. My cousin's daughter was born with leukemia. When she became an adult and sought to get insurance on her own, no insurance provider would cover her because of her "pre-existing" condition.

today, she has insurance coverage, through her employer.

Tell me how that is worse
Obamacare hasn't been implemented yet so I don't know how your little story has any relevance other than to show that things were just fine the way they were.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I was reading recently about Reagan's first term it occurred to me that there were a lot of similarities between 1980 and 2008. The economy had been a wreck in the late 1970's. I remember hearing the same stories then that we hear now, of guys with graduate degrees driving cabs. The problems continued into the early part of Reagan's first term. In fall 1982, unemployment peaked at 10.8 percent. The peak rate after the 2008 crash was 10.2, in Oct, 2009.

But later it hit me that there was one huge difference. It was a kind of "dog that didn't bark" thing: at least in the reading I did, Reagan never spent time blaming Carter. Instead he focused on his policies, and implicitly seemed to accept that the responsibility for getting the ship out of dangerous waters were now his.
That is the point I was hitting on in this thread. Reagan focused on how great America was, the "American Dream" the shining light all that. That is what go us back going again. Confidence in the country and where we were heading. Obama does none of that and blames everybody for everything. Now Reagan had the US hockey team victory to put in his wallet too though. Thing is Obama would have been rooting for the ruskies back then and telling us how our group of young whippersnappers just wouldn't be able to take me on. Hell Obama would probably forfeited the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies