Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,902,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A stressful environment is very much considered a mitigating factor when considering sentencing in this nation's judicial practice. Again, I don't want him to get the death penality, but the two cases are not comparable.
Please provide a link to any court case in which two premeditated murderers were sentenced differently based on one of the killers being exposed to more stress. Remember we are talking about intentional, planned acts of murder not some heat of passion incident.

Do you believe that someone that works in a stressful occupation like an ER doctor (high stress) should receive a lighter sentence compared to a retiree (low stress) if they both intentionally kill someone? If so, why?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,104,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Headline on www.foxnews.com .

No article yet about the Ft. Hood shooter who killed 14 people.

Sentencing on Monday.

He'll probably get six months. It was only simple workplace violence, after all.

ON EDIT:

---------------------------------------------

Ford Hood shooter convicted on all counts | Fox News

Ford Hood shooter convicted on all counts

Published August 23, 2013
FoxNews.com

Fort Hood shooter Nidal Hassan was found guilty on all counts of premeditated murder and attempted murder Friday, making him eligible for the death penalty.

Sentencing was set for Monday.

A military jury deliberated for roughly one day before announcing the verdict.

Hasan sat emotionless, stroking his beard as the verdict was delivered.

He was charged with 13 counts of pre-meditated murder and 32 counts of attempted pre-meditated murder in the Nov. 2009 shooting attack at the sprawling Texas military base.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
He will probably be sentenced to death...

Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,340,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I am uninterested in what he does or doesn't fear, or what "rankles" him.

Because of what he did, he should be removed completely from existence with civilized humans on this Earth. That means Death Penalty.

And since we are at war with radical militant Islamists who might use his death as a tool ("martyrdom") against us, he should get it in a way that most discourages that.

The Pershing Doctrine applies.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post31097478

In other words, you wish us to treat his religion with the same disdain that his fellow militants treat other religions. You also wish him to become a martyr in their misguided beliefs. So how does that make us any different?

I say, let him languish and fade from memory. Rotting in a cell for the rest of his life dependent upon real soldiers for all his needs should be one of his visions of hell.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,747,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In other words, you wish us to treat his religion with the same disdain that his fellow militants treat other religions.
Interesting.

I hope he gets a sentence of death, duly ruled on by a court that has found him guilty of multiple counts of premeditated murder.

Note that that treats his LIFE with disdain, as he treated 13 other people's lives with disdain. With one exception: We gave him a trial and did not decide to take his life until he had been judged guilty of a suitable crime according to our laws. Laws which he knew well in advance, long before he ever went on his little spree.

So, with what you said in mind, maybe we need to change our laws a little, to allow us to invoke the Pershing Doctrine for the purpose of dissuading his buddies from doing what he did. But as a result of a judgement made by the court, not just because the executioner thinks it's a good idea (which it unquestionably is).

That way we will JUSTLY disdain his life, as we already have laws to do, and will also disdain his religion, as we should form laws to do. And if he Or his pals) don't like that, they have alternatives available: Don't grab a gun and shoot thirteen innocent people. And another alternative: If you don't like our country and our laws, leave it. If you leave us alone, we promise to leave you alone.

Quote:
You also wish him to become a martyr in their misguided beliefs.
Bzzt. Reread what I wrote, both in my earlier post, and also in this one.

Quote:
So how does that make us any different?
(patiently)

We don't kill innocent people.

Except by accident in the fog of war, which is as inevitable as it is unfortunate. Anyone who does it any other way, gets what Robert Bales or Nidal Hasan gets.

Quote:
I say, let him languish and fade from memory. Rotting in a cell for the rest of his life dependent upon real soldiers for all his needs should be one of his visions of hell.
My suggestion is probably another of his visions of hell, and a more effective one.

But again, I don't care how he feels about it. I simply want him off this planet. We owe him nothing. We owe the civilized humans here, the absence of crazed madmen like Hasan, and deterrence of his pals from doing other murderous things to us. My suggestions are designed to accomplish both.

But you are right about one thing: BOTH my suggestions - the Death Penalty and the Pershing Doctrine - should be imposed according to law, by a duly convened court, not just thrown in later as a good idea. Right now, only one of them is imposed by a court of law (or I hope will be on Monday). Presently the other one isn't. That should be changed. The Pershing Doctrine should also be imposed by a court of law according to duly legislated laws.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM

40,932 posts, read 48,901,953 times
He's in Texas, let us strap him on the table.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
I hold Nidal Hasan in complete disdain and utter contempt. This entire joke of a process has been a travesty of justice. For starters, the whole "workplace violence" thing sickened me. Then his insistence on growing a beard - and the military prison administrators who ALLOWED him to grow a beard...while he was being paid a major's pay...grrrr, don't even get me started.

I really, really, really hope they give him life in prison without parole. The death sentence would only bolster his sickening belief that he would become some sort of martyr. Let him sit in that wheelchair, get bedsores, and rot for years.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM

20,102 posts, read 16,041,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Please provide a link to any court case in which two premeditated murderers were sentenced differently based on one of the killers being exposed to more stress. Remember we are talking about intentional, planned acts of murder not some heat of passion incident.

Do you believe that someone that works in a stressful occupation like an ER doctor (high stress) should receive a lighter sentence compared to a retiree (low stress) if they both intentionally kill someone? If so, why?
Abused spouse, spouses in the middle of fighting, a person who is facing foreclosure, someone whose child was abused, someone just fired, walking in on a spouse in the middle of cheating, and so on and so forth. Look up your own links.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,388,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Waste of time. Should have been executed within two weeks.

We know who did it, he admitted it... why are we wasting time and money?
I hope he gets life in prison. He wants to die. That's his wish because he wants to be a martyr. Don't give him his last wish.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,388,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
It would be even sweeter if Bradley/Chelsea were required to give Major Hassan a lap dance every day until one or both of them would start shouting, "My wiki is leaking!"
Omg..that's discussing!!!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,928,296 times
Default Liberal hero Hassan gulty

Of workplace violence.........oh murder......but nothing to do about terrorism that wouldn't look good on the record of the great hero. How dumb are liberals?? Oh no this guy isn't a terrorist? Unreal. People are being denied benifits because of the great leader declaring this as so. Just unreal as I already posted. Obama is an enemy of the US as are liberals who support this nonsense.

Nidal Hasan convicted of murder in Fort Hood shootings, eligible for death penalty - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies