Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

Well, I can report that Wild Wing Cafe over by me was packed yesterday as usual. Guess all those people claiming they're boycotting WW (and yet do not live anywhere near one) isn't too effective.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
[quote=xray731;31132347]This is a facebook post from someone actually there at the restaurant. There are always 2 sides to a story but everyone is jumping on the bandwagon after only hearing one. I am so fed up that the solution to every situation between two people of different colors always is racist. The majority of blacks today have no idea of what real racism is, especially for those that lived in the south 40 yrs ago. Despite all they had to go through - those people had dignity.
Jack Morris

From someone there:

You’re only getting one side of story here. I work at the restaurant and your representation of the events is way off base. The group was being loud and obnoxious to both customers and staffers. They kept complaining about their long wait and were talking about how “whitey” was able to get seated, but they were not. The problem was that they had a large group and insisted on sitting next to each other. We only had one area that could accommodate their large group and the patrons in that area were not done. So yes, some “whities” were able to be seated before them, but only because they were going to a different area. We also seated non-whites in other areas too…They made this a racial issue before anything. One of the guests also insulted a deaf white girl because she didn’t respond to one of them telling her to move (she was deaf and didn’t hear them) They were also all standing in the middle of the walk way, making it difficult for customers to leave. We asked them if they could move over, but they said they can stand wherever they want, and if we wanted them out of the way then we should seat them. The customer that was offended was offended by a particular individual’s constant uses of the word “n*gger” When asked to stop, he threw out a long string of racial epithets against one of my co-workers. - See more at: http://www.radiofacts.com/blacks-ask....yXLnQnGq.dpuf[/quote]

I knew something was fishy about this story. When the truth comes out, things look a little different.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I knew something was fishy about this story. When the truth comes out, things look a little different.
looks like yet another bogus case of squealing 'racism!!' has been shot down in its tracks

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
There is always another side to the story.

I refuse to form an opinion on stories until I get the full picture.

I don't think I believe the Whitey name calling is true either.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

There's likely some element of truth in both sides of the story but that's a far cry from the original claim. Plus, I have a very difficult time believing this manager with bi-racial children would be so blatantly racist. Oh and as a by the way, Wild Wing Cafes (small regional chain) are owned by a black man so these cries of WW trying to be a 'whites only' restaurant that are being put out there on their FB page look pretty foolish.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I've been to that restaurant. They would not be in business if they refused service to customers based on skin color.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,185 times
The other side makes more sense. I mean why would a restaurant that has been opened all this time, in a tourist town mind you, suddenly start discriminating against black people? Doesn't make sense, especially when Charleston has a HUGE black population.

In the south we all tend to get along just fine with other races. It's rare for any kind of prejudice to happen.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There's likely some element of truth in both sides of the story but that's a far cry from the original claim. Plus, I have a very difficult time believing this manager with bi-racial children would be so blatantly racist. Oh and as a by the way, Wild Wing Cafes (small regional chain) are owned by a black man so these cries of WW trying to be a 'whites only' restaurant that are being put out there on their FB page look pretty foolish.
There are always two sides to the story and the truth is somewhere in between.

What is the Black mans name who owns the chain? I don't think that is accurate from what little research I've done.

There are people who have bi racial children who are racist. That is not ruled out as a possibility.

You are right! The party on Facebook is looking very foolish now if they behaved the way they have been accused of.

Racism is wrong. Unfortunately its been around for a very long time and will continue to exist until the end of time.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Looks like you did form an opinion (as well as 2 or 3 more).

Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
The other side makes more sense. I mean why would a restaurant that has been opened all this time, in a tourist town mind you, suddenly start discriminating against black people? Doesn't make sense, especially when Charleston has a HUGE black population.

In the south we all tend to get along just fine with other races. It's rare for any kind of prejudice to happen.
I will admit that Charleston could probably give places like Chicago and Detroit a good lesson on racial harmony.

With that being said, there is racism everywhere! I wouldn't rule out racial undertones in the case because of demographics and the progressive nature of the new south.

This is not a reflection on White people as a race or Charleston. It can happen anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies