Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
New York has poor concealed Carry laws, hence this sort of thing happens.

Let someone try to attack me while I'm going out to dinner with a white girl, and I'll be more than happy to take out my Ruger 22/44 lite and reenact Django Unchained.
wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
how pathetic is this forum getting with its racial poker game.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
how pathetic is this forum getting with its racial poker game.
Getting? It's always been pathetic like that, which is why I generally stay out of the race-related threads! I haven't even clicked on a single Zimmerman/Martin thread, as I can only imagine the crap storm that story has created on here.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
New York has poor concealed Carry laws, hence this sort of thing happens.

Let someone try to attack me while I'm going out to dinner with a white girl, and I'll be more than happy to take out my Ruger 22/44 lite and reenact Django Unchained.
Dude... if you're going to try to sound tough, at least claim you'll pull something a bit more substantial than a .22 Granted, no one is going to check the caliber of a gun before being shot (at) by it, but I prefer a .40 myself.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Getting? It's always been pathetic like that, which is why I generally stay out of the race-related threads! I haven't even clicked on a single Zimmerman/Martin thread, as I can only imagine the crap storm that story has created on here.
The racism here has certainly gotten worse in the last couple months.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
1st, I agree they're totally different situations.

Quote:
2nd, You're a putz
If I'm a putz, then you're a shmundie

Quote:
if you think those Christian people peacefully holding a sign on the side of the parade route in protest were "looking for a confrontation, and got one", thus making that attack ok.

I was with you at "totally different situations". You lost me when at, it's ok to attack people for diversity of thought & exercising their right to free speech. Are anti-war protesters looking for a confrontation & thus it's ok for the police to club them on their skulls? How about anti-corporate protesters? Ok to mace them in their eyes & hit them with water cannons? Let's face it, they're looking for a confrontation too.
Should they have gotten their butts kicked? No, I don't condone violence... but, this is a lot like going up to a group of young dudes in East LA and saying, "would you pieces of trash pull your damn pants up?" and making a quip about jumping the border: sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can get them broken, too, if you use them in the wrong way. It would have been great if those young men had engaged the person confronting them in a dialogue about racism and classism, but a fist to the jaw is the more realistic result of doing such things.

I didn't say that they should have gotten their butts kicked, but those protesters' actions did. Sucks for them.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Absolutely crazy. Hope they find these hoodlums and lock them up.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Dude... if you're going to try to sound tough, at least claim you'll pull something a bit more substantial than a .22 Granted, no one is going to check the caliber of a gun before being shot (at) by it, but I prefer a .40 myself.

Low recoil, light weight, and easy to carry. I'm not taking my Glock with me most places. My Ruger is all I need:

GA Woman Kills Would Be Rapist With .22 Pistol

Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Hmm, this did not happen! Story says it happened in Long Island, a place in the liberal northeast, not the south or the midwest. They should consider themselves lucky they weren't shot in the back or beaten to death with flashlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

Interracial Couple Attacked Outside Queens Bar - YouTube

An interracial couple was attacked after leaving a Long Island City restaurant by a group of men who began yelling racial and homophobic insults at them, according to reports.

On Saturday, August 17 at 1:45 a.m. Jacob James-Vogel, 37, and his wife Billie, 40, were assaulted in front of 47-20 Center Boulevard, said police.

the couple was leaving Shi restaurant with a gay friend after celebrating Billie’s birthday when they were approached by a group of men who began yelling homophobic and racial slurs. Both Jacob and his wife received injuries from an altercation during the attack.

“Reports of a possible hate crime on Center Boulevard in Long Island City are deeply disturbing,” said Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer. “There is no place for hatred in our City and I condemn this attack and all others in the strongest possible terms.”

Van Bramer also said he has made sure the hate crimes unit is investigating to figure out if the attack was motivated by hate. He is working with the the Anti-Violence Project to monitor the case and lead the community’s response against all bias related attacks.

“These attacks are hateful, ugly and un-New York,” said mayoral candidate and Public Advocate Bill de Blasio. “We won’t let racism take hold where we’ve fought so hard to stamp it out. Whatever has spurred on these acts of violence, we’ll protect our people. New Yorkers have a right to live free from violence and fear. We must do more to affirm that right, by bringing more security cameras into the NYPD network so we can find perpetrators more quickly, and by joining police and communities in closer cooperation.”

Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
"According to a police source, the Hate Crimes Task Force Unit deemed the case unbiased ..."

"The establishment also said the footage also shows the couple and their friend were not attacked randomly after Jacob “was asked to leave the restaurant as a result of his disorderly conduct and unruly behavior.”

Police | Police say attack on interracial couple in LIC not a hate crime | Queens Courier

Wouldn't it be a darned shame if this wasn't a racially motivated attack and the drunk guy started the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies