Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So in other words, lie, but still discriminate?
Pretty much. This way everyone can make believe we live in Utopia with unicorns and lollipops for all and never a bad word or action is said or done.

If they don't hear about it then it doesn't exist..right ?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Who even said anything about a gay gene? You people keep bringing that up, not us. There is probably not one single gene that flips homosexuality on and off, just like that. It is more likely than not a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

My point still stands though. Gay people will tell you that they have felt the way they have as long as they remember. That's called firsthand evidence, my friend. Just as the effect of gravitation on you and on objects is firsthand evidence of its existence, even if you have no idea how it works. Do you really think anyone would purposefully choose a lifestyle that can very well bring them intense misery and suffering, alienation from family, physical violence and possibly death? Are you really that dense?
In spite of the dangers, people still smoke, they still drink to excess, they adopt horrible eating habits, they ride motorcycles without helmets, and take all sorts of risks with their lives, health, and personal happiness. Sad but true.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Is it impossible to discuss without resorting to fallacies? You do realize by attacking personally as you are, it is a sign that your position is weakening and so you must resort to attacking the person in order to bolster your position? I would ask nicely that you refrain from insulting comments directed at me. If you can not, a mod can certainly remedy your inability to discuss civilly?
Actually it's a sign that reason has no effect on some people and so I'm just posting in black and white. I attacked no individual, just like the hateful spew of homophobes is attacking no individual gay person on the site. Thank you for trying to threaten me with the mods or whatever. Please, report my post. Ask them to look at many of yours and your ilk, too. I'll wait with trembling knees

Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Actually it's a sign that reason has no effect on some people and so I'm just posting in black and white. I attacked no individual, just like the hateful spew of homophobes is attacking no individual gay person on the site. Thank you for trying to threaten me with the mods or whatever. Please, report my post. Ask them to look at many of yours and your ilk, too. I'll wait with trembling knees
If you are going to debate science then you don't start throwing names around.
You don't start bringing emotion into the picture.
You are posting your emotional opinion based on your bias.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
In spite of the dangers, people still smoke, they still drink to excess, they adopt horrible eating habits, they ride motorcycles without helmets, and take all sorts of risks with their lives, health, and personal happiness. Sad but true.
Not a valid analogy. Being gay is a capital crime in some countries and there is no benefit to being gay. If it were as simple as "choosing" to be straight, people would do it. The fact that countless people have tried to become straight and can't change their feelings shows it's not a choice.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are going to debate science then you don't start throwing names around.
You don't start bringing emotion into the picture.
You are posting your emotional opinion based on your bias.
That's how you picture my posts. Yet, I see nothing in your posting history denouncing the attrcious, emotional things people post about gay people. Hmmm.... Hating gay people is based on pure bias and emotion. I'd be happy to debate science if I saw actual science being used in the debate. If my previous posts upset you, don't worry. Someone said they're going cry to the mods about being offended, so I'm sure they'll be deleted.

I won't tolerate hate.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Not the same. Ethanol and nicotine are intensely addictive chemicals. Horrible eating habits can be very rewarding in the short-term. Riding without a helmet is exhilarating, and you'll probably die instantly from smashing your bare head into the ground at such speeds.

Choosing to be gay on purpose would be choosing the very real possibility of a lifetime of immense emotional torment and suffering, possibly starting as early as early childhood. Think about all the youths who are disowned and abandoned by their parents that often end up homeless; think about the people who endure and have endured prolonged violence and bullying, often to the point where they feel they have no other choice to commit suicide to escape the pain. Think of what it feels like to have others tell you you're not even a second class citizen; you're just plain less than a person. Where is the reward in this?

If people had a choice, almost no one would ever choose this, ever.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Some of those stereotypes are born out of culture; a need to conform and be accepted by their peers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Much of the acting out, especially concerning promiscuous sex, drug use, and self-harm, etc, are results of becoming emotionally distorted and distressed by a lifetime of being treated as a second class citizen due to factors beyond your control, even though you've done nothing to hurt anyone.
So both responses here attribute the behavior not to some undeniable inborn characteristic, but is instead rooted in hurt feelings and a desire to be accepted by other outcasts? Awwwww... how sad. Somebody got their poor wittle feewings hurt and is throwing a tantwum to get attention? And now they want to force businesses to happily service them to validate their bizarre behavior?

Life's not fair, it's not supposed to be. Some win, some lose, deal with it. Find a photographer who either endorses your mutant ways or who is at least willing to overlook it and take your money anyhow. Separate but equal is still equal. I wouldn't hire an openly gay service provider for any shindig I'm hosting, and wouldn't expect one to eagerly seek my business knowing how I feel. There are plenty of others out there where we can both be satisfied.

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not a valid analogy. Being gay is a capital crime in some countries and there is no benefit to being gay. If it were as simple as "choosing" to be straight, people would do it. The fact that countless people have tried to become straight and can't change their feelings shows it's not a choice.
Adultery is a capital crime in some countries too. So is pedophilia. So what? People still make those choices in spite of the dangers.

People make all sorts of lifestyle choices that will probably result in great personal unhappiness, loss, etc. I'm not saying whether or not being gay is a choice - I actually don't know, though I personally think that it's probably partly genetic and partly environmental.

All I'm saying is that the argument "Who would CHOOSE to be gay and choose a lifestyle of personal difficulty?" is not a valid or reasonable argument. People choose lifestyles that create personal difficulty all the time.

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
BUT, photographers won't be able to turn down gay customers in the future. I think that was the point--to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.
Yes they can.

"Sorry, that date is filled".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies