Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have no idea. I know that I loved my parents but hurt them by marrying outside my race. My love for them didn't stop me from making a choice that hurt them. So I'm probably not the right person to ask that question to.
Kathy it is hard for me to understand with all the gay friends you have, and some of them seem to be close friends, that you still seem to think they chose to be gay.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh did they discover a gay gene ?
Did they discover an old gene? Did they discover a veteran of foreign wars gene?

Get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
there is no 100% conclusive proof that gay people are born that way.
There is not 100% conclusive proof that they're not, and good reason to believe they are. So discriminating against them in the provision of a service you offer to the public is offensive. And in states untainted by RWNJ homophobia, illegal. Live with it.

Quote:
And to lump it in with racial issues is insulting.
No it isn't. You're wrong.

Quote:
Being gay is not a race, creed or religion.
Did the discover a Catholic gene? Begin gay is surely more biological than being Catholic.

Quote:
And we'll have everyone suing everyone else because someone decided they didn't want to do something for somebody for one reason or another.
Actually, it takes quite a bit of inane, discriminatory behavior by cretins to substantiate declaring a group of people a protected class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Laws are never going to force acceptance.
Laws can make it clear society's declaration of what is right and wrong. If old transgressors cannot learn from that, at least perhaps their children

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I suspect the New Mexico Supreme Court is going to find itself overruled by the Supreme Court. Such a ruling violates the Establishment Clause. Homosexuals are not a protected class.
Yes they are, in many states. New Mexico among them, albeit they're a bit behind other states with regard to how much protection is afforded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why should it protect a given group based not on some immutable quality such as skin color but instead based on the sexual behavior of said individuals?
How about status as a veteran? National origin? Religion? Or are you immutably whatever religion you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Same tired, transparent, arguments from the phobes. Dinosaurs. I think their own sense of growing irrelevance makes them ornery.
There is little doubt that those who see their offensive perspectives, vestiges of a more barbaric and less civilized time in human history, discredited and superseded will be upset by that realization and its ramifications.

Quote:
No one should be FORCED.
No one is forced to engage in a business where they offer their services to the public.

That's a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to force anyone to do what they don't want to just to prove a point. results likely wouldn't be good.
Anti-discrimination laws exist to serve as a deterrent against such offensive behaviors.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Do not accuse another member

Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Quote:
People don't choose their attractions. I don't think you realize how absolutely insane and illogical your position is. Are you capable this very second of choosing to be turned on and aroused by a member of the same-sex? If you can't, then you've demonstrated that your claim about it being a choice is false.
LOL actually there was a period in my life where I WAS attracted to the same sex - another woman in particular in fact. So...yeah...I decided I didn't want that much drama in my life.

Later - after I married and then divorced (eleven years later) my former husband, who was of another race, I decided that when dating, I would probably approach another interracial relationship a lot more cautiously. Not that they are wrong - not by a long shot - but let's just say I didn't have a successful experience and didn't want a repeat. (No, I don't think his race made him who he was character-wise, but I do think that the way he was raised in that race is unfortunately much too common a situation and such a childhood and set of moral values can create a lot of problems in adulthood - problems I didn't want to deal with again).

Quote:
I still don't see it as a valid comparison. Think of the millions of kids who have suffered tremendous personal emotional torment, been kicked out by their families, tried to pray themselves straight. Why would you go through all that if you made the choice to be gay? Why not just choose to be straight?
Like I said earlier, I'm not the right person to ask this question to, considering I pushed my parents, who I loved DEEPLY, and who loved me deeply, to the point of them putting me out literally on the street without a penny to my name when I persisted in dating my former husband. It was a very painful time for all of us. By the way, my parents, who are not racists, were right about him. They were horrified with my choices - and I was completely blinded by emotion.

Quote:
Do you seriously think someone would spend a decade of their life begging God to turn them straight if they voluntarily chose to be gay? Once again, that is such an illogical argument I would put the "Being gay is a choice" argument in the same league as the Earth being flat or geocentric.
My exhusband went to counseling, truly TRIED to be a better husband and father, grieved deeply when I left him the first time, submitted to years of counseling in order to get me to come back, and yet STILL couldn't keep from turning to abusive habits when under stress...and he eventually lost his whole family, all the while grieving...and praying to God for us to stay, to help him control his habits and his temper, etc.

So - don't ask me. All I know is that many people have lots of destructive habits, leanings, tendencies, addictions that they hate and fight against...but often without success.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:06 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Well, I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Funny thing is, I used to be a photographer. I used a Mamiya 645 Super. I also had an old Hasselblad 500c I used when I was going to be doing an outdoor weddings and need the higher flash sync speed. Oh well, but every photographer I knew was almost starving all the time. I can not imagine turing down a wedding or almost any event. That would be like throwing $500 dollars at least out the window just to prove a point. But on the other hand, as a photographer, I wouldn't want to photograph anything that made me uncomfortable. I think common sense needs to come in here.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
LOL actually there was a period in my life where I WAS attracted to the same sex - another woman in particular in fact. So...yeah...I decided I didn't want that much drama in my life.
Which makes you by definition, bisexual. The fact that you have now chosen to pursue a relationship with a man does not make your biological orientation a choice. You are apparently confusing orientation with behavior. You chose not to pursue another relationship with a woman, because you didn't want the drama. Pursuing a relationship is a choice. But you never would have considered a relationship with another woman, had you not already been capable of being attracted to other women. That attraction is not a choice, and is what constitutes Sexual Orientation.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I suspect the New Mexico Supreme Court is going to find itself overruled by the Supreme Court. Such a ruling violates the Establishment Clause. Homosexuals are not a protected class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes they are, in many states. New Mexico among them, albeit they're a bit behind other states with regard to how much protection is afforded.
False.

Quote:
Civil Rights Act (1964) - Public Law 88-352

TITLE II--INJUNCTIVE RELIEF AGAINST DISCRIMINATION IN PLACES OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION

SEC. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Which makes you by definition, bisexual. The fact that you have now chosen to pursue a relationship with a man does not make your biological orientation a choice. You are apparently confusing orientation with behavior. You chose not to pursue another relationship with a woman, because you didn't want the drama. Pursuing a relationship is a choice. But you never would have considered a relationship with another woman, had you not already been capable of being attracted to other women. That attraction is not a choice, and is what constitutes Sexual Orientation.
LOL I'm heterosexual. Definitely. Though I freely admit that many women are absolutely gorgeous, sexy, attractive, etc. I have a cousin who is truly bisexual..I think...well, she was...she's in a monogamous relationship with a man though and has been for at least a decade.

I have personally known, not one, not two, but THREE women who went through the whole "coming out" thing - getting a divorce from their husbands, hooking up with a woman, living together for awhile in spite of their families' sorrow, their kids' issues, etc...only to eventually leave their lesbian lovers and actually GET MARRIED to men again.

I think that's pretty interesting. By the way, not one of them self identifies as bisexual - all three of them say something along the lines of "it was a phase I was going through - but I'm heterosexual."

Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Sounds communist to me..The government demanding someone to do something they should have the right to say NO to.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Sounds communist to me..The government demanding someone to do something they should have the right to say NO to.
Forcing tolerance via government mandate makes it seem like we're all treated "fairly".
Warped sense of Utopia if you ask me.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
LOL I'm heterosexual. Definitely. Though I freely admit that many women are absolutely gorgeous, sexy, attractive, etc. I have a cousin who is truly bisexual..I think...well, she was...she's in a monogamous relationship with a man though and has been for at least a decade.

I have personally known, not one, not two, but THREE women who went through the whole "coming out" thing - getting a divorce from their husbands, hooking up with a woman, living together for awhile in spite of their families' sorrow, their kids' issues, etc...only to eventually leave their lesbian lovers and actually GET MARRIED to men again.

I think that's pretty interesting. By the way, not one of them self identifies as bisexual - all three of them say something along the lines of "it was a phase I was going through - but I'm heterosexual."
Well that can't be true. I keep hearing that you are born gay end of story.

Actually my step sister was gay, then dated a guy for a year and got tired of him so she's gay again. lol I love her to death though but she's just a wild one IMO. When she's gay she plays the militant gay person but when she was dating they guy she wasn't. Hey as long as your happy is all I tell here and she is so good for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies