Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
except here if they refuse they get their business shut down
I could care less who wants to get married but if a business owner does not want their business they should be able to refuse them
I thought gay marriage is not going to hurt anyone?? if a person has a religious reason then that should be honored
not dragging them off to court
this is not about their wedding pictures this is about them forcing acceptance from someone who does not accept them
good grief get over it
we are going to see a lot of this bull crap
We already have seen this.

Baker who refused, reception place that refused and now photographer that refused.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
That may be your personal feeling but in reality a business can deny service for anythign they so choose. A private business anyway. Well unless of course liberals get their way and have the government tell private business what they can and can't do which is happening all too often. Let the market decide their fate not the government.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
The problem is gays have weaseled themselves into protected class status. To turn them down is discrimination, even a hate crime.
For the last friggin' time, we are ALL protected class status!!! Why is this concept so difficult for everyone here?? Sexual orientation as a category is what's protected, NOT being one specific orientation. For crying out loud people, read the laws before trying to pretend you understand them.

Quote:
My brother in law is 58 and is gay. For thirty years he stuck to the mantra 'born that way.' In the last month he has become reflective and openly confesses it is a choice. He was repeatedly sodomized when he was 12 by the owner of the hobby shop he swept floors in.
That still isn't a choice - it's more like emotional trauma (PTSD), which caused him to become sexually confused. Either that, or he was already gay and just coincidentally abused by a man.

You cannot compare this to someone who's gay and wasn't abused, now can you? And if it really were a choice, don't you think most would choose not to be part of a marginalized and often hated group? I didn't choose to be straight, and certainly couldn't choose to be attracted to the same sex instead. Could you? If you are capable of choosing which sex to be attracted to, that would make you a bisexual.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-24-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Just one common sense example:

95% of African Americans are Democratic and voted for Obama.

73% of African Americans are born out of Wedlock.

Democrats favor gay marriage.
Pretty pathetic logic. African Americans only make up 12% of the US population, and are the most Conservative demographic among Democrats. Democratic does not mean liberal. Most African Americans opposed SSM in California's Prop 8 for example.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We already have seen this.

Baker who refused, reception place that refused and now photographer that refused.
Just like we see businesses still refusing to serve blacks or Jews.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
People are not born old, and many people are not born with diabilities, that doesn't change their protected status.
People have a right to free thought, get over it! I do support gay marriage also, but not liberal tyranny.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces...otographer-gay

If this state Human Rights Act exists it is because the majority of voters in NM voted into the state's Constitution. The Photograger still has appeals to district courts and the SC.
The gay couple's marriage date should revolve around the outcome of the lawsuit they've pressed. If they're going to use the law to force the photographer to photograph gay weddings, they should be forced to use the photographer when the trial and subsequent appeals have been exhausted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

That still isn't a choice - it's more like emotional trauma (PTSD), which caused him to become sexually confused. Either that, or he was already gay and just coincidentally abused by a man.

You cannot compare this to someone who's gay and wasn't abused, now can you? And if it really were a choice, don't you think most would choose not to be part of a marginalized and often hated group? I didn't choose to be straight, and certainly couldn't choose to be attracted to the same sex instead. Could you? If you are capable of choosing which sex to be attracted to, that would make you a bisexual.
I will never understand the "It's a choice" argument. It's like claiming the Earth is flat to me. How do you voluntarily choose who you are attracted to? How does one physically get aroused at the sight or touch of another person unless their brain is physically wired to respond to that stimuli. Maybe I'm missing something, but can all straight guys just spontaneously choose to get an erection when they see Brad Pitt? Lol

Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
People have a right to free thought, get over it! I do support gay marriage also, but not liberal tyranny.
Free thought doesn't give one the right to break the law (assuming they did in this case). As a restaurant owner, you're free to hate Jews or Blacks, but you can still be sued for denying them service.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That may be your personal feeling but in reality a business can deny service for anythign they so choose. A private business anyway. Well unless of course liberals get their way and have the government tell private business what they can and can't do which is happening all too often. Let the market decide their fate not the government.
Depends on the business. It's a violation of Federal Law (and many State laws) to deny service to certain groups depending on the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies