Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's not the point... the point is ensuring that ALL citizens can have equal access to services and businesses, whether or not they choose to patronize every business.
It is the point. The government and laws can not ensure this. People can though.

Quote:
My mother totally bought some soldier figurines (for my brother's collection) at a Nazi-owned shop in Vegas once, much to my dismay. I tried to get her to leave the shop, once I noticed what kind of place it was, but she really liked those soldiers! Was I happy to give him our money? No. But I was happy we had the freedom to go in, look around, and decide to buy something despite his personal beliefs. He probably had no idea we were Jewish, but again I like knowing he couldn't have denied us service because of that.
He could have........."I'm sorry, those are on hold for another customer".

Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
Now the New Mexico Supreme Court decides that wedding photographers can't refuse to shoot gay ceremonies. Even though the hottie photographer was willing to shoot gays just not wedding ceremonies.

One judge said the following; The Huguenins are free to think, to say, to believe, as they wish; they may pray to the God of their choice and follow those commandments in their personal lives wherever they lead. The Constitution protects the Huguenins in that respect and much more. But there is a price, one that we all have to pay somewhere in our civic life.

There's a price to pay for our religious convictions?
Religious people need to wake up and realize this is a republic, not a theocracy. Refusing service to someone because of religious bigotry is no more acceptable than refusing them service because of racial bigotry. Your right to believe ignorant, hateful things about gays ends when you try to discriminate against them. It is long past time for the secular people of America to stand up to religious bigots and say, loud and clear, that they can no longer hate their hate behind their so-called "religion."

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It is the point. The government and laws can not ensure this. People can though.
I wish the government didn't have to get involved, but didn't "the people" already prove themselves incapable of ensuring everyone's equality? I'm not a big government type (more libertarian on most issues), but many Americans apparently act like stupid children on this matter.

Quote:
He could have........."I'm sorry, those are on hold for another customer".
Sure, but he could not have openly denied services to all Jewish people. There's always a way to skirt these laws, i.e. telling a 65 year-old job candidate "the other candidate (who just happens to be an attractive 35 year-old) was determined to fit our needs better" blah blah blah. So it's not a perfect system, but at least they know penalties for openly defying these laws are a possibility.

In my personal opinion, laws like these are more of a "symbolic" gesture. I realize they're easy to get around, and sometimes not even worth enforcing... but I guess it's like sending a message, and letting business owners know their bigotry isn't government approved.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
People can though.
False. People cannot assure, or even significantly promote, their receipt of equal treatment. And that's really why your whole argument falls apart: Bigots and haters don't want to eliminate bigotry and hatred.

Last edited by bUU; 08-30-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
It's been asked over and over and nobody really wants to answer the question of why someone would want someone that really wasn't into it do something like this for them?
In this particular instance, I wouldn't want them to do the pictures. I also wouldn't want a custom cake from a baker, but this law is bigger than that. This law means that I can't be refused service in a clothing store, or a deli, or a gas station. The point isn't that the couple wanted their service after the photographer said no. The point is that the photographer broke the law by saying no.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Well then find that gay gene and get rich. Because until there's scientific proof, it's just a choice...
You must be bisexual then if you just simply choose to be straight. Everybody else is inherently attracted to one sex or the other.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wish the government didn't have to get involved, but didn't "the people" already prove themselves incapable of ensuring everyone's equality? I'm not a big government type (more libertarian on most issues), but many Americans apparently act like stupid children on this matter.
Are you making the claim that everyone treats everyone equally today because of government laws? Laws only follow the will of the majority. When a majority are going in one direction they will without a law dictating it.

For decades the gay marriage debate went on but it got nowhere until a large portion of people got behind it. Laws are not passed and upheld that is going to cause a politician to lose their jobs in the vast majority of cases.

The vast majority of people are willing and happy to accept all customers because that is what they want, not because a law tells them they must. If you want to be accepted you change the people, not the laws.

Quote:
Sure, but he could not have openly denied services to all Jewish people. There's always a way to skirt these laws, i.e. telling a 65 year-old job candidate "the other candidate (who just happens to be an attractive 35 year-old) was determined to fit our needs better" blah blah blah. So it's not a perfect system, but at least they know penalties for openly defying these laws are a possibility.

In my personal opinion, laws like these are more of a "symbolic" gesture. I realize they're easy to get around, and sometimes not even worth enforcing... but I guess it's like sending a message, and letting business owners know their bigotry isn't government approved.
Symbolic laws are a waste of our and the governments time. In reality it only makes things worse. Those who are not open to things like this only get hardened in their beliefs when the law tells them they must do something. It's human nature.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
False. People cannot assure, or even significantly promote, their receipt of equal treatment. And that's really why your whole argument falls apart: Bigots and haters don't want to eliminate bigotry and hatred.
Nor does a law change them. Gay marriage is happening today because people have changed, not because the laws state they must change.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In this particular instance, I wouldn't want them to do the pictures. I also wouldn't want a custom cake from a baker, but this law is bigger than that. This law means that I can't be refused service in a clothing store, or a deli, or a gas station. The point isn't that the couple wanted their service after the photographer said no. The point is that the photographer broke the law by saying no.
As has been pointed out over and over you can be refused. For those who aren't prone to making an excuse they will do as I said. "I will take your pictures but I have to say, I do not support your lifestyle" in which case they will take the pics but as you note, you aren't going to hire them anyway, so what is the point?

For those who don't care they simply tell you that they have already filled that weekend.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
As has been pointed out over and over you can be refused. For those who aren't prone to making an excuse they will do as I said. "I will take your pictures but I have to say, I do not support your lifestyle" in which case they will take the pics but as you note, you aren't going to hire them anyway, so what is the point?

For those who don't care they simply tell you that they have already filled that weekend.
The photographer in this case did neither of those.
She denied the service, and stated the reason as the couple being homosexual.

Maybe she isn't a very smart business person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies