Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Talk of force is inane. The photographer will not be forced to perform the service. The way the law works is that if the photographer refuses to abide by society's standards, they'll simply be sanctioned, not forced to perform.
Yeah, I mean, it's not forcing them to do it, it's just saying "hey, do this, or we'll destroy you".

Ahh, "liberals". Lol.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Destroy? No one gets destroyed in the process. Stop with the inane perversions of reality in a desperate attempt to rationalize offensive support for bigotry and hate.

There are laws. They exist to foster fairness and justice in society. If you cannot bring yourself to do what is proper under the law, then you are to find something else to do. This is Citizenship 101. It's stuff people are supposed to have learned as children. Stop trying to deny the most basic principles of living peaceably in community with others. Stop trying to make the self-centered self-absorption of the bigoted photographers into anything other than what it is.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Destroy? No one gets destroyed in the process. Stop with the inane perversions of reality in a desperate attempt to rationalize offensive support for bigotry and hate.
When it comes to the government "destroy" indeed can be the right word.

The Weekend Interview with Craig Zucker: What Happens When a Man Takes on the Feds - WSJ.com

Quote:
There are laws. They exist to foster fairness and justice in society. If you cannot bring yourself to do what is proper under the law, then you are to find something else to do. This is Citizenship 101. It's stuff people are supposed to have learned as children. Stop trying to deny the most basic principles of living peaceably in community with others. Stop trying to make the self-centered self-absorption of the bigoted photographers into anything other than what it is.
Just recently it was deemed just and fair to exclude homosexuals from marriage. Just and fair is a moving target.

The actions of the photographer was bigoted but a government bent on making everyone accept their viewpoints of what a proper action is, is a far scarier thing than some closed minded photographer.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I'm impressed with your vocabulary skills, but this is nothing but a smart sounding way of calling me a bigot. YAWN.

Rationalizing support for bigotry and hate? Perhaps we should delve into your presumed support for the 1st amendment if you want to go down the path of throwing out ridiculous nonsense like that. Your premise is idiotic, and I'll tear you to pieces if you continue with this line of logic.

Anyone who presumes to tell me who I or anyone else should or should not do business with can pound sand - plain and simple.

And yes, your livelihood can easily be destroyed if you run afoul of laws similar to this one.

Quote:
Ah, the old "the law is right because it's the law which makes it right" argument.

You do realize that at one point in time it was not "proper under the law" to be a homosexual, right?

Only in the mind of a left wing wacko is it self centered and self absorbed to simply want to be left alone and do business with whom you please.

This comes from an atheist who could give two craps about who people want to marry and love etc etc.

Both of your arguments are nonsense.

Last edited by rw47; 09-02-2013 at 05:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:21 AM

This whole thread reads like a playground food fight. Idiotic left wingers screeching about "bigotry" and "hate" while completely ignoring the theoretical issue at hand, and right wing religious zealots who would be nowhere to be found should this be an atheist refusing to photograph a Christian wedding.

Authoritarian nuts can go directly to hell. Leave the man alone, mind your own business, and get a life. Surely you have something better to do. Well... maybe not.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When it comes to the government "destroy" indeed can be the right word.
No, it isn't. You and the previous poster are both failing to admit the difference between metaphor and reality.

Quote:
Just recently it was deemed just and fair to exclude homosexuals from marriage. Just and fair is a moving target.
And it has been forever, truly, but surely for almost 350 years. Where have you been?

Quote:
The actions of the photographer was bigoted but a government bent on making everyone accept their viewpoints of what a proper action is, is a far scarier thing than some closed minded photographer.
No it isn't. That's just an overly paranoid perspective, which feeds an offensive reticence to live honorably in community with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm impressed with your vocabulary skills, but this is nothing but a smart sounding way of calling me a bigot. YAWN.
I don't know you. I have no basis on which to label you as anything. If you cannot reply to my comments as I write them, then don't reply to them at all. Your perverting them into something easier to argue against just shows that you recognized that didn't have anything worthwhile to say in response to what I actually wrote.

Quote:
Rationalizing support for bigotry and hate? Perhaps we should delve into your presumed support for the 1st amendment if you want to go down the path of throwing out ridiculous nonsense like that. Your premise is idiotic, and I'll tear you to pieces if you continue with this line of logic.
You don't like your perspective being repudiated, so you present a puffed-up bravado response. In your own words: "YAWN".

Quote:
Anyone who presumes to tell me who I or anyone else should or should not do business with can pound sand - plain and simple.
Thanks for very effectively modeling the perspective of placing one's own personal preferences over that of the society within which they hope to live - the self-defining rationalization for, literally, antisocial behavior.

Quote:
And yes, your livelihood can easily be destroyed if you run afoul of laws similar to this one.
Yes, it can, and should be. It will, and should, always be better to recognize and abide by the obligations of living honorably in community with others rather than barreling through life as if your own personal preferences are all that should matter to anyone.

Quote:
Ah, the old "the law is right because it's the law which makes it right" argument.
Ah, the old "what I want is all that matters" response.

Quote:
You do realize that at one point in time it was not "proper under the law" to be a homosexual, right?
That's being addressed. Are you saying that you are quite upset about society's consideration extending to other folks beside yourself and those you like?

Quote:
Only in the mind of a left wing wacko is it self centered and self absorbed to simply want to be left alone and do business with whom you please.
Your lame attempt at a direct and specific personal attack is ridiculous, especially since that which I'm repudiating is specifically the self-centered and self-absorbed perspectives of bigotry that seeks to rationalize going through life as if one is lord of the manor.

Quote:
This comes from an atheist who could give two craps about who people want to marry and love etc etc.
Yup, you apparently just want to defend the right for people to run roughshod over living honorably in community with others, more generally.

Quote:
Both of your arguments are nonsense.
Your saying so is nonsense. See how easy it is to post pointlessly vacuous throwaway lines?

As time goes on, the force of law will be needed less and less for such things, as the number of those practicing bigotry is overwhelmed by the number of people of honor. Related story. As I'm sure other bakeries benefit from the additional business they'll get by honorably abiding by society's standards in this regard, it would be similar justice served if photographers who honorably abide by society's standards in this regard similar benefit from doing so.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't. You and the previous poster are both failing to admit the difference between metaphor and reality.
I posted a case of reality.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Talk of force is inane. The photographer will not be forced to perform the service. The way the law works is that if the photographer refuses to abide by society's standards, they'll simply be sanctioned, not forced to perform.
you mean fruit standards. please don't lump "society" in with the fringe minority.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
bUU

Quote:
I posted a case of reality.
Craig Zucker has not been destroyed. He exists. He lives. And he can go on with his life. You're doubling down on the nonsensical exhortation. I'm pointing out the refusal to differentiate between metaphor and reality, and how right-wingers are inanely insisting on reacting to metaphors as if they describe reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
you mean fruit standards.
Thanks for proving that your perspective is grounded in puerile and baseless marginalization of people you simply don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
please don't lump "society" in with the fringe minority.
Poll: Majority Would Support Gay Marriage in All 50 States

Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Craig Zucker has not been destroyed. You're doubling down on the nonsensical exhortation.
The government isn't done with far exceeding their reach yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies