Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
I'm biracial but I consider myself more black than anything else.

I agree that we have been f%cked over in the past by white people but come on, we need to start stepping up as a people and put on our big boy pants. Why don't we start enforcing education in our homes and communities? I have black relatives that relocated from my home country to America, and they always say how easy it is to make a living and do good here in America, and how they feel like their black brethren here in the States aren't taking advantage of their opportunities here. There are so many ways to get yourself out of the hole of despair and hopelessness that many in my race feel that they are trapped in. Jews and Asians, two minority groups that have been discriminated against HEAVILY in the past, have dug themselves out of the hole. Even this, most Africans that have come to America are extremely successful.

It all boils down to our culture not emphasizing on positive things. We constantly hear songs about "cash" and "bricks" and "fast money" and "hoes" and "bussin choppaz" and "catchin' bodies" and such. Why can't we start listening to more influential music? There is plenty of hip-hop that is influential and tries to uplift blacks as a race. Instead, we decide to listen to Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, T.I., Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne, Tyga, 2 Chainz, French Montana, and the like. We need to start uplifting ourselves with better music and begin to reinforce ourselves by focusing on our grades and stop trying to become the next Calvin Johnson or RG3. Instead, we should strive to become doctors, lawyers, businessmen and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. We should strive for Harvard instead of trying to get recruited by Alabama as a 5-star running back.

Countdown to "You're an Uncle Tom!" in 5...4...3...2...1

I agree.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:

I agree that we have been f%cked over in the past by white people but come on, we need to start stepping up as a people and put on our big boy pants. Why don't we start enforcing education in our homes and communities? I have black relatives that relocated from my home country to America, and they always say how easy it is to make a living and do good here in America, and how they feel like their black brethren here in the States aren't taking advantage of their opportunities here. There are so many ways to get yourself out of the hole of despair and hopelessness that many in my race feel that they are trapped in. Jews and Asians, two minority groups that have been discriminated against HEAVILY in the past, have dug themselves out of the hole. Even this, most Africans that have come to America are extremely successful.

It all boils down to our culture not emphasizing on positive things. We constantly hear songs about "cash" and "bricks" and "fast money" and "hoes" and "bussin choppaz" and "catchin' bodies" and such. Why can't we start listening to more influential music? There is plenty of hip-hop that is influential and tries to uplift blacks as a race. Instead, we decide to listen to Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, T.I., Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne, Tyga, 2 Chainz, French Montana, and the like. We need to start uplifting ourselves with better music and begin to reinforce ourselves by focusing on our grades and stop trying to become the next Calvin Johnson or RG3. Instead, we should strive to become doctors, lawyers, businessmen and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. We should strive for Harvard instead of trying to get recruited by Alabama as a 5-star running back.

The best thing that you can do is to make sure you and your family are on the right track. There are plenty of black people and black families that are already doing this and those numbers are increasing everyday. You can also volunteer with some troubled youths and do some tutoring or be a big brother. I actually does help. Other than that, there really isn't much you can do because the "black community" is no more closely knit than the "white community."

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Because that is such a big problem. Jezzz, you pick out a tooth pick and over look the rafter in your own eye. Get real.
It is a big problem in poor, rural areas as well. The difference is that fewer people live in the rural areas, and with 1/2 of the USA's population living in 146 counties(mostly metropolitan areas), the meth and prescription pill abuse problems go unnoticed. I'm not picking out a toothpick. I'm simply telling the truth. And what rafter in my eye? I'm not the one using drugs.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I would not feel like I had to watch my back in most any small town in WV, but in any black community you have to watch your back and front. They are thugs who will kill you for a nickel or just for fun. Jessie Jackson said that when he is in a dark alley and he looks behind him and sees whites he is relieved. LOL Even the so called black leaders know blacks are thugs.
Wow, way to generalize people. Black people are thugs? How about SOME Black men behave like thugs and participate in criminal behavior. The rest of us Black men aren't involved in that.

I wasn't talking about whether or not you have to watch your back in a WV town. I was talking about DRUGS. And personally, there are a few rural areas in the USA I would be scared to go. Actually, I lived in a suburban area and got shot with a paintball gun by a White teenager. Why? He thought it was funny to do so.

And I don't care what Jesse Jackson says. I don't pay much attention to him.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm not calling you an Uncle Tom. I am going to say this though. Have you thought about where such a defeated mentality among some Black people comes from? Have you thought about why the mentality is different among African immigrants coming here? I see it this way. Africans are coming here with a different mentality. Alot has been done to them under colonialism, but I would say the optimism comes from seeing the USA as the land of freedom and opportunity. Same with Jews and Asians who came. They came seeking opportunity.

I would argue that it is the difference between seeing the USA from an immigrant's perspective, and seeing the USA from a minority's perspective. From an immigrant perspective, there is a feeling that the USA is the place to come, to make it. For the perspective of some Black Americans, whose ancestors didn't chose to come, and having gone through some of the worst in this nation, some Blacks don't see America the same way. Now the question is how to get rid of a defeated mentality.

Something else. Alot of Blacks, even with the discrimination, and having survived some of the worst, have succeeded and have done well. The ones who have done well have moved on and gone elsewhere. Those who have not done so well, in some cases it gets passed down.

In order to understand why there is so much junk in rap music, , you need to have a better idea of American culture, and the history of hip hop. Stupidity and violence has always sold. All these rappers you hear of, consider this. Who produces this music? Or better yet, why does does violent rap music sell so much more than the good stuff? The good music is out there, but it doesn't sell. It is mostly Blacks doing the rapping, but the largest group of consumers of this music are not Black, and most of the big record label owners themselves are not Black. Basically, Blacks dominate the hip-hop industry, but they don't run it.

And consider this. Have you ever asked yourself why Black children who have done well in school have been made fun of by other Black children, being referred to as "acting White"?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You condemn the majority because you resent Blacks in general. You see, I know better. I know it is the minority of Blacks doing this. The majority of Blacks are not contributing to the crime problems. so place blame on the persons who actually committed the crime, not the rest of the Black population. I also know that whenever decent, law-abiding Black people try and flee from crime, those very criminals often follow them.

If the only thing you are going to do is complain about Blacks, then you have offered nothing to this discussion than anger and vitriol. That isn't going to solve problems. This "my race is better than yours" message that you made in one particular sentence doesn't solve any problems, only angers people. Putting down other races only alienates people. Putting down an entire race has done nothing to stop crime problems. Show me where it has solved any problems.
I said it before and I'll say it again. I KNOW in the absolute sense that blacks who commit crime are in the minority. As I explained to DoniDanko, for it to be an actual majority that would mean 21+ million black Americans would have to be committing crime every year, which obviously isn't true or otherwise blacks would be even more effed than they are now.

Having said that, its pretty clear that the amount of crime committed by black males and especially young black males is MANY TIMES HIGHER than whites, asians and any other group of people you can think of. This is FACT. Or are you going to disagree with me on this?

The point is in absolute numbers you're right, the majority of blacks aren't committing crime in a given year, but in terms of rates of crime in a given year, again black crime rates are many times higher than anyone else. And over time, its approaching if not past the point where a majority of blacks will have committed some kind of crime at one time or another in their lives. Something that no other race/ethnic group in America can probably claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You've lost all my respect and there's no point in me debating with you any farther. You are a racist.
You forgot to tell me that I should be at Stormfront. I'm shocked.

Seriously nice of you to quit rather than trying to respond to my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You're not posting any facts. all you're doing is making an assumptions on how you feel. When I ask you to post links or any documentation to back anything up, all you do is ignore that and continue ranting on... Your hope post is full of numbers that you pulled out of your behind and there's no sense trying to win an debate with when the other person ignores all facts and instead makes up his own.
Its not about 'how I feel' its about making a statement based on FACT. Again:

if you ever bothered to watch the news or go on the internet and read any type of crime stories, you would obviously see that the trend is that black males are involved in the VAST MAJORITY of crimes that happen to involve blacks, especially violent crimes and murders.

Are you going to dispute this and say this is wrong? That black males ARE NOT the major perpetrators of crime when it involves a black person in an incident? Is this what you're honestly trying to say with a straight face? Yes or no?

Are you going to answer this time around or dodge the question again?

And I DID give you some facts:

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 3

42 million blacks somehow outmurder 220 million whites by at least 700 and probably much more if you include a good portion of the unknown category. Asian murders are so low they don't even get their own column.

But you chose to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What is the percentage of blacks raised by teen mother and/or inadequate mothers who go on to live a life of crime? Out of the millions of black people in the US, how many are as you describe? Your comment seems to suggest this is the case for the majority of black people, so I'm just curious.
According to this:

72 Percent of African-American Children Are Raised in Single Parent Homes - Atlanta Black Star

72 Percent of African-American Children Are Raised in Single Parent Homes.

Or how about this?

Single Motherhood Increases Dramatically For Certain Demographics, Census Bureau Reports

Sixty-eight percent of black women who had given birth in the past year were unmarried, compared to 11 percent of Asian women, 43 percent of hispanics and 26 percent of non-Hispanic whites.

Interesting isn't it? The group that has the worst, least capable parents also happens to have kids that are most likely to grow up to become criminals. Coincidence?

Quote:
When was this in the 100 years that follow? When we were being lynched? Denied access to housing? Higher education? Hosed by police? When our business were burned to the ground when they became too successful? When churches were burned killing innocent children? The rampant racism involving the GI Bill (which introduced many whites to middle class living and home-ownership)? When MLK, who was all about living successful lives, was assassinated? When was this opportunity that you speak of?
Much of what you state above IS IN THE PAST. IE A black child born today won't be lynched, denied access to higher education or have any of their businesses burned to the ground if they open one in the future. The point is there should be NO REASON for so many black children to grow up to be criminals if black parents raise them right, but they can't and keep on failing their kids and then they cry about it when they get killed at a young age.

Quote:
Prove it. Of the MILLIONS of black people in the US, what percentage commit crimes? 25%? 50%? 75%? What percentage do you have that allows you to make the assumption that "far from a minority of blacks" commit crimes?
As I said above, blacks as a group have the highest crime rates of anyone in the US. No its not 50% of blacks or even 25% of black population that commit crime each year, but over time it will likely become a situation where so many blacks will have committed some kind of crime sometime in their lifetime that more than half of black population having a criminal record isn't out of the question.

Quote:
Asians in the US are a bit more complex. Many who come here, come from backgrounds of privilege (or at least middle class upbringings). It's very rare for those coming from a middle/upper-class background to live a life of poverty and the crime that is usually associated with it. For a more realistic viewpoint, check the crime in their home countries vs those who are successful enough to come to the US. Not to mention, Asians have never faced the level of oppression of blacks in the US and have not had to deal with the residual effects of that racism.
Almost all Asians who first landed in America and Canada for that matter were FAR from privileged or rich. They were discriminated against and treated like crap and guess what? They STILL made something of themselves and managed to raise their kids to be mostly good people and eventually they in turn did the same thing.

Most Asian immigrants today also do that exact same thing, yet for so many blacks they just keep failing even when given every opportunity to succeed. Most prominent example is Somali refugees living in Toronto right now. They moved from their hellhole country to a peaceful one yet instead of making the most of the opportunities given to them here, they instead become murder suspects/victims just like their native black counterparts here.

There's literally few if any other groups of immigrants that I can think of that can move from a bad part of the world into a good part and instead of doing better they end up doing the same or worse while at the same time turning their new homes into the same violent ghettos that they left in the first place.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again. I KNOW in the absolute sense that blacks who commit crime are in the minority. As I explained to DoniDanko, for it to be an actual majority that would mean 21+ million black Americans would have to be committing crime every year, which obviously isn't true or otherwise blacks would be even more effed than they are now.

Having said that, its pretty clear that the amount of crime committed by black males and especially young black males is MANY TIMES HIGHER than whites, asians and any other group of people you can think of. This is FACT. Or are you going to disagree with me on this?

The point is in absolute numbers you're right, the majority of blacks aren't committing crime in a given year, but in terms of rates of crime in a given year, again black crime rates are many times higher than anyone else. And over time, its approaching if not past the point where a majority of blacks will have committed some kind of crime at one time or another in their lives. Something that no other race/ethnic group in America can probably claim.
No one is here trying to denying crime levels. What people like me have a problem with it the rest of the Black population being condemned for the actions of some. If I haven't committed a crime, what is your point is condemning me?

And your last statement about a time coming where the majority of Blacks would have committed a crime in their lives, can you prove that? Can you show me any solid proof of that happening? Give me a specific number.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
3% of the population commits 1/2 the murders, what's the deal here and how is this accepted?
Who said it was "accepted?" What are YOU doing about it? Are you mentoring young kids in the urban areas? Are you seeking to discover what the real issue is?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Who said it was "accepted?" What are YOU doing about it? Are you mentoring young kids in the urban areas? Are you seeking to discover what the real issue is?
I don't think said person is interested in that, but rather, is merely complaining about Black people at large.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What would they do instead? You sell drugs to earn a living. You're not going to earn a living robbing people. Those are usually opportunistic crimes for a quick payoff.
are you kidding me. you guys are awfully confident that thousands of former drug dealers would go on to make a living, legally? that is honestly a bunch of bs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies