Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 12:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1978123 View Post
Yes.Sleep with one eye open.
Let me tell ya a little something. In the coming race war the Filipinos and Cubans gonna be on us white boy's side.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
What are your solutions? Should we target black men more? Randomly search us as we walk down the street? Are we black males the scariest nonhuman humans you all have ever witnessed??

Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, most of the violent parts of a culture is tied to ENVIRONMENT and UPBRINGING. How does skin color cause one to develop a violent culture?
This is true. Most of it is nurture vs nature.
The problem in the poor black community is the culture of:
-single parent household
-lack of a focus on education
-enabling by the govt via social programs
-teen mothers having kids, often times from multiple men

Just like in poor white hoods, you have crime. But for some reason, in poor white hoods, the gang culture of violence isn't as prevalent (they just make meth in the white hood).

Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
This is true. Most of it is nurture vs nature.
The problem in the poor black community is the culture of:
-single parent household
-lack of a focus on education
-enabling by the govt via social programs
-teen mothers having kids, often times from multiple men

Just like in poor white hoods, you have crime. But for some reason, in poor white hoods, the gang culture of violence isn't as prevalent (they just make meth in the white hood).
Gang culture used to be big among poor Whites, and was often tied to stuff like fighting someone else who was different from you, or stuff like Prohibition(which made many people rich). Today, not so much, many because alot of poor White areas are often rural. Gang culture is a byproduct of issues in urban areas.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
A small but significant part of the problem is the victimology leveraged by guys like Sharpton and Jackson to further their personal influence and wealth.

Would that these guys and the reverand Wrights would spend more time exhorting youth to excel at something other than feeling victimized and blaming others.

If only Judge Thomas, Colin Powell, Condeleezza Rice et-al would form a travelling road show to by-pass the Oprah's and take it to the streets to preach hard work and commitment to achieve what's certainly possible instead of finger pointing over to the other side of the fence and shouting "it's all whitey's fault you're jacking cars and fathering babies".

Bill Cosby can't do it all by himself and he just gets "Uncle Tommed" when he spouts at a theater full of the upper middle class.

The audience is in the hood and someone's got to go there with the right message to counter the demoralizing crap they're brought up with a steady diet of.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
The fear of consequences definitely worked on me as a kid. I knew what I would lose being locked up. I also have my father to thank as well. He instilled in me how important it was that I get a good education. Many people don't have that.

The big question is indeed how to get to the kids who have nothing to lose.

It is interesting how you mentioned prison. Some people view prison as "I get three meals and a bed for free". Some view the death penalty as "I don't expect to live past 30 anyway". In fact, there were gang members in Milwaukee who were asked "where do you see yourself at 30"? Some gang members just laughed. It was like said persons expected to be dead by age 30. Anyone with that kind of mentality isn't going to be deterred by the law.

A big part of curbing gang problems started with the home. However, there are kids born into broken homes. The question is this. What kind of positive re-enforcement will help people stay away from gangs? Or is the solution there, and maybe many of the persons who need to be made aware of this aren't being informed.
I think the answer really begins with revitalizing the inner cities and somehow getting business back into the cities. With increased business will come more money, jobs, opportunities, etc. If I had all of the answers to solve these questions I'd certainly be making more money than I am current haha. However it does seem that lack of opportunity and poor educational resources play a big part in the problems that plague the cities.

Another huge problem is the issue of deadbeat dads. Single parent households are very detrimental to kids growing up. Lacking a male role model that is worth emulating has negative long term consequences on a young boy. There needs to be a cultural shift in America that encourages men to stay and raise their children. To me this is the fundamental breakdown in American society, absentee fathers. This problem has been plaguing black America for sometime but white America is catching up and all of the same problems will start sprouting up.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 AM

237 posts, read 192,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Whats your point? White men commit most rapes and molestations. Black men murder. Hispanics steal the most cars. What's your point?

Scientifically, race doesn't exist. Stop trying to divide people. Should the people that don't do crimes be put in the same bag as people who do? Seriously, stop race baiting it isn't 1967.
Repost….

Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
One could see it as "lost property". However, with businesses moving out to suburban areas, there are many who don't see it as "lost property", but as "A place I would never go to". The reality is, many people really don't care about the people who live in the inner cities. I am a firm believer of "you do the crime, you do the time". However, I also feel that there needs to be a certain context kept on this. I notice the one time there is expressed concern is when the goal is gentrification. No one really thinks about that unless there is gentrification involved.

Many people write the areas off as "worthless" because of the idea of "I can go somewhere else". No one really thinks about crime unless they have to live or work near it. It goes along with the multi-nodal metropolitan area. It's become "instead of commuting from the suburbs to the city, let's commute from one suburb to another". I live in the Atlanta area. Right now, the Atlanta Braves are slated to move into the suburbs(Cobb County). I looked on facebook and there were people that I personally knew cheering this on. There were people who viewed it as "Well, I don't have to go into Atlanta city and deal with some beggar". Alot of people only care if it personally relates to them.
Yeah it sucks about the Braves. Going to Braves games was really the only reason I ever went into the city but you know what I enjoyed it. We'd park in Doraville and take MARTA down to the city and it was fun. Large urban areas have a lively vibe and feel to them yeah the area around the Ted is a little rough but I never felt unsafe. That area is going to be very hard hit when the Braves leave.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
3% of the population commits 1/2 the murders, what's the deal here and how is this accepted?
Racism is alive and well I see

What's the deal? A lot of them live in the worst and poorest/most deprived inner cities in America.

I guess you'll make it all about genetics though.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah it sucks about the Braves. Going to Braves games was really the only reason I ever went into the city but you know what I enjoyed it. We'd park in Doraville and take MARTA down to the city and it was fun. Large urban areas have a lively vibe and feel to them yeah the area around the Ted is a little rough but I never felt unsafe. That area is going to be very hard hit when the Braves leave.
The last time I ever went to the Ted was 15 June 2001, over 12 years ago. For me, going into Atlanta city was primarily for other things. I've gone there to eat, take pictures, visit CNN, the Aquarium, Midtown, Centennial Olympic Park, and the other sites. I would take 2 CCT's and then the MARTA to get to Atlanta.

I never knew the area around the Ted was a bit rough until they started talking about moving. Still, what got me was this. I knew once the Braves vacate Turner Field, that area would face some hard times. The persons who are cheering this move don't care either way what happens to that neighborhood or those persons in that neighborhood. What is even more peculiar is this. Cobb County just cut almost 200 jobs in the education sector, and yet, there is still a desire to go and spend a lion's share of the money on the stadium. With issues regarding education and transportation, building a new stadium seems to take priority.

Anyway, I think the main mentality is that of "if we don't live there, it doesn't affect us, so who cares what happens to those people"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies