Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Comments Require an Open and Real Profile?
Yes, it creates accountability 31 46.97%
No, anonymous posting is more truthful 21 31.82%
Some sites should require a profile and others should be anonymous 3 4.55%
The NSA knows who you are anyway, so what's the difference? 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM

563 posts, read 805,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Apparently, the Huffington Post is tired of "trolls" on its site making comments and will now ban anonymous comment posting (though it is unclear how):

Huffington Post to ban anonymous comments - CNN.com

My guess is that these "trolls" are people criticizing the stories, but I could be wrong. I have noticed that many sites require you to log in a facebook or other somewhat trackable account to post these days. CD is still somewhat anonymous, though, absent some extra security measures, people who know what they are doing can find out who you are. So my question is: do you think people should be able to post with some amount of anonymity, or should everyone have complete accountability for their speech?
Most trolls typically create fake Facebook accounts in response to those measures. See San Jose Mercury News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,576,386 times
HP is a blog. Who cares what they do. This is city-data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They should just do what places like DU do, just ban anyone and everyone ...
And likewise for freakrepublic.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,576,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Posters with fake user names complaining about other posters who use fake user names = another one for the "you cant make this **** up" files
LOL.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM

17,379 posts, read 9,204,017 times
It doesn't really matter. I think we all know by now that the Government CAN and WILL search all data and do whatever they think is necessary to control people.

A public data registry makes it easier for them, just as a Fire Arms registry would make it a lot easier to confiscate or control Fire Arms. Do we really have any protections under the Bill of Rights anymore? OR is it all an illusion?

HuffPO can do whatever they choose, those that want to go along with their idea of "freedom of speech" are free to do so. There will still be many that don't choose to join in on this easy data registry of "suspected dissidents" that don't adhere to the group think of the ruling power.

We have met the enemy and it is us.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,093,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes it is, and they are free to follow in the footsteps of DU if they like.

I'm really surprised they hadn't done this sooner.

It must be tremendously embarrassing for them to pay a writer to slant the news in one of their articles only to have an anonymous poster disassemble their propaganda in short order and without fear of consequences for doing so.
I don't know what DU is, I also don't know why the people who support private business doing whatever they want complaining about not being able to post anonymously on their site.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 PM

45,135 posts, read 26,310,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They are a private company, they can do whatever they want with their own site.
Yes I acknowledged that on my first post on this thread.
Quote:
I understand it is their prerogative but why is it good for them?
my question to you was why would you support something that would silence you?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,985,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is a private company.
So is "Beck University", but that doesnt stop you from bashing and displaying hate non stop about them

Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Yes I acknowledged that on my first post on this thread.
my question to you was why would you support something that would silence you?
Why would it silence me? I have my real name linked to Huffington Post, though I never post comments on their article.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So is "Beck University", but that doesnt stop you from bashing and displaying hate non stop about them
What is wrong with making fun of Beck University? I didn't know I wasn't free to do that. Beck University is a private company and can do whatever it wants.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,776,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They should just do what places like DU do, just ban anyone and everyone who doesn't suckle at the teet of Obama.
Does DU genuinely do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies