U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What restrictions on voting do you favor?
Voter ID laws 68 77.27%
Civic literacy 19 21.59%
Literacy test 20 22.73%
IQ test 10 11.36%
Other 24 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 PM

90,351 posts, read 115,280,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Oooooh, kinda like this health care law I hear they're currently trying to implement?!
Off topic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM

6,796 posts, read 6,968,810 times
It amazes me that people think it is right to make someone pass a test to drive and automobile, but the idea of making them pass a test to be able to vote, where there is far more at stake is seen as being wrong.
The truth is not everyone has the knowledge or intelligence to make decisions that are going to be setting law and choosing leaders.
The country was established to only allow people of education, who owned property and had some skin in the game to vote. That system gave us some of the best systems, laws, and government this country ever had.
Today we have a government controlled by corporate interests, who have bankrupted our country to make fortunes for men with no loyalty to the country while simultaneously instituting a system of bread and circuses to purchase the indifference of the underclasses whose concern is only to get something which they do not have to work to get.
I would prefer a system where a test, which demonstrated an ability to understand logic and the workings of government along with a minimum net worth was required to be able to vote.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,146,594 times
Why should the test only have those things that you want on them? I want the test to include questions establishing whether the person is sufficiently compassionate to others, generous, considerate of those less fortunate, open-hearted toward those who hold to different beliefs and values rather than just their own, etc. I think the vast majority of the test should be focused on establishing by objective evidence the qualities that I believe make a person a good person, establishing the ability to make decisions that affect others in a conscientious manner instead of grounded in selfishness, self-interest, egoism, or greed. So if you're willing to let me define that portion of the test, I'll be happy to let you define the other portion of the test.

Deal?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM

5,902 posts, read 5,438,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I'm still trying to understand how GW Bush was elected for a second term.
Simple: 9/11.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,009,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Off topic.
Not when I use your own "logic" to point out the hypocrisy in your statement.

"Waivers are B-A-D, bad... Errrr... except when they're not"

Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,009,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS0311 View Post
I think we should exclude all idiots that attempt to use failed wit to defame a President's name.
Sorry, I'm not a sheeple and I don't have to subscribe to the theory that Obama is the bestest president ever!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,054,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What common sense regulation on voting do you favor?

Feel free to list some of your views, and opinions
Basically none. Voting is one of the most fundamental rights of a representative government. Allowing the government to limit voting is a way for government to control the outcomes of elections.

Free societies hold free elections. It is sad that America in some ways is moving in the opposite direction.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 PM

6,796 posts, read 6,968,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys10 View Post
Big difference. Driving is a privilege, voting is a right.
Actually, it is the other way around, but it takes a extensive legal background to understand that.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,425,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Why should dishonorably discharged military be unable to vote? Should people fired from a job be disqualified?

No restrictions except US citizen and 18. And I'm on the fence about convicted felons. That may leave a lot of republicans unable to vote.
And at least an equal number of Democrats, especially those from Chicago!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,425,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It amazes me that people think it is right to make someone pass a test to drive and automobile, but the idea of making them pass a test to be able to vote, where there is far more at stake is seen as being wrong.
The truth is not everyone has the knowledge or intelligence to make decisions that are going to be setting law and choosing leaders.
The country was established to only allow people of education, who owned property and had some skin in the game to vote. That system gave us some of the best systems, laws, and government this country ever had.
Today we have a government controlled by corporate interests, who have bankrupted our country to make fortunes for men with no loyalty to the country while simultaneously instituting a system of bread and circuses to purchase the indifference of the underclasses whose concern is only to get something which they do not have to work to get.
I would prefer a system where a test, which demonstrated an ability to understand logic and the workings of government along with a minimum net worth was required to be able to vote.
The truth is, this country was founded based upon the proposition and stated policy that, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." That's pretty clear to me. What part of it don't you understand or agree with?

There is no law of that land that says the unintelligent, uneducated, illiterate, poor, etc. should be denied the vote, nor should there be. None of those are against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies