U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What restrictions on voting do you favor?
Voter ID laws 68 77.27%
Civic literacy 19 21.59%
Literacy test 20 22.73%
IQ test 10 11.36%
Other 24 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,240,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What common sense regulation on voting do you favor?

Feel free to list some of your views, and opinions
You didn't include a restriction I favor in your list. I believe only taxpayers should vote.

I do not believe that the rich should get more than the poor. If you pay $1 in tax or $1 billion in tax, you should still only get one vote. But if you pay nothing into the system then you should get no say in how the system operates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM

16,817 posts, read 17,468,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Serious question...should people with seriously low IQs be allowed to vote.

I had a 19 year old student that was severely cognitively impaired and fine motor skilled impaired to the point where he literally wouldn't be able to fill out a ballot by himself. I once spent an hour and a half trying to teach him the difference between an Uppercase "T" and a Lowercase "t" and he couldn't get it.

I liked the kid a lot and he really does struggle, but is sweet as can be. His mom got an absentee for him, filled it out for who she wanted and he couldn't state a single position of Obama or Romney on any issue. He knew that "he" had voted for Obama, but couldn't say any of the other offices where his mom filled out and couldn't state a position that he himself favored on any issue.

Should he be allowed to vote with such a low IQ function where he doesn't understand society in the same context? Is allowing him to vote just giving his mom 2 votes?
happens all the time. had a next door neighbor that voted the way her husband told her to. this however is no reason to start restricting people's vote.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM

6,816 posts, read 5,058,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
None. Why in the world would you restrict voting?
So we don't put incompetent boobs like Obama in the White House.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM

6,816 posts, read 5,058,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You didn't include a restriction I favor in your list. I believe only taxpayers should vote.

I do not believe that the rich should get more than the poor. If you pay $1 in tax or $1 billion in tax, you should still only get one vote. But if you pay nothing into the system then you should get no say in how the system operates.
I like that and if you take in the form of cash assistance, section 8 housing you don't vote either.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,057,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Why should dishonorably discharged military be unable to vote? Should people fired from a job be disqualified?

No restrictions except US citizen and 18. And I'm on the fence about convicted felons. That may leave a lot of republicans unable to vote.
Could you please explain this other than the fact that your a left-winger trying to throw out meaningless insults?

Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,302,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Actually, it is the other way around, but it takes a extensive legal background to understand that.
Which is obviously why you don't.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM

90,346 posts, read 114,951,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Not when I use your own "logic" to point out the hypocrisy in your statement.

"Waivers are B-A-D, bad... Errrr... except when they're not"
Please show me where I said that!??

Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM

90,346 posts, read 114,951,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Serious question...should people with seriously low IQs be allowed to vote.

I had a 19 year old student that was severely cognitively impaired and fine motor skilled impaired to the point where he literally wouldn't be able to fill out a ballot by himself. I once spent an hour and a half trying to teach him the difference between an Uppercase "T" and a Lowercase "t" and he couldn't get it.

I liked the kid a lot and he really does struggle, but is sweet as can be. His mom got an absentee for him, filled it out for who she wanted and he couldn't state a single position of Obama or Romney on any issue. He knew that "he" had voted for Obama, but couldn't say any of the other offices where his mom filled out and couldn't state a position that he himself favored on any issue.

Should he be allowed to vote with such a low IQ function where he doesn't understand society in the same context? Is allowing him to vote just giving his mom 2 votes?
I can do you better than that! I know two people who filled out mail-in ballots for their out of town (in one case out of state) college students. One is a known Republican.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM

69,364 posts, read 61,435,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys10 View Post
Big difference. Driving is a privilege, voting is a right.
Actually voting is a priviledge as well.. In fact only property owners were allowed to vote originally..

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM

11,070 posts, read 14,460,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Actually, it is the other way around, but it takes a extensive legal background to understand that.
Why don't you lay some of that"extensive legal knowledge" on us...you are not one of those"patriot" types like I used to arrest for driving without a license claiming the constitutional right to travel as the basis are you?if so,you guys were fun and your fines helped pay my salary

The laws for voting are in place..enough said....want to get rid of something?get rid of the electoral college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies