Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The courts have ruled that The fair use of copyrighted works for purposes such as criticism or comment is
not an infringement of copyright.

http://apps.americanbar.org/litigati...06_outline.pdf
Actually, your link refers to the distinction between satire and parody, not "criticism or comment." Had the owner modified, even slightly, the NSA logo so that it was a parody or satire of the original, then it would not violate copyright law. However, by using the NSA logo, without change, he is in violation of copyright law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
The courts have ruled that The fair use of copyrighted works for purposes such as criticism or comment is
not an infringement of copyright.

http://apps.americanbar.org/litigati...06_outline.pdf
True, but this is more of appropriating a copyrighted trademark for purposes of profit (i.e., selling T-shirts and bumper stickers).

Rather like taking the Nike symbol, sticking it on shoes, maybe adding a little slogan ("Nike or Nothing!") and then trying to claim that it is 'fair use' of the Nike trademark.

I will add that, if any of this is true (i.e., NSA ordered the halt of the sale of the merchandise), then the seller should obtain an injunction. Indeed, if NSA did anything (which I find doubtful) its proper course would have been to 1) write a cease and desist letter; and 2) file suit asking for an immediate halt to the merchandise pending a hearing.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True, but this is more of appropriating a copyrighted trademark for purposes of profit (i.e., selling T-shirts and bumper stickers).

Rather like taking the Nike symbol, sticking it on shoes, maybe adding a little slogan ("Nike or Nothing!") and then trying to claim that it is 'fair use' of the Nike trademark.

I will add that, if any of this is true (i.e., NSA ordered the halt of the sale of the merchandise), then the seller should obtain an injunction. Indeed, if NSA did anything (which I find doubtful) its proper course would have been to 1) write a cease and desist letter; and 2) file suit asking for an immediate halt to the merchandise pending a hearing.
The courts are the ones that determine fair use and if something is properly satire and that is the problem. Even if it is a small web business couldn't afford to go to court.

The link states that profit would be one consideration but profit doesn't rule out legal parody or criticism. The government shouldn't be able to copyright a logo to start with. It belongs to the people.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:

The only thing that was claimed, was that copyright infringement was taking place and the copyright holder claimed this. This usually results in a DCMA notice, which is essentially a cease and desist. If Zazzle, just arbitrarily decided, this it would be a problem. Haven't heard if this was corrected.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
The courts are the ones that determine fair use and if something is properly satire and that is the problem. Even if it is a small web business couldn't afford to go to court.

The link states that profit would be one consideration but profit doesn't rule out legal parody or criticism. The government shouldn't be able to copyright a logo to start with. It belongs to the people.

I utterly agree. Hence, my statement that if the NSA was offended or believed in copyright infringement, it would first ask a court to intervene (with the temporary injunction). The court would have the power to decline the TI, allowing the seller to continue to sell pending a hearing or trial.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
I utterly agree. Hence, my statement that if the NSA was offended or believed in copyright infringement, it would first ask a court to intervene (with the temporary injunction). The court would have the power to decline the TI, allowing the seller to continue to sell pending a hearing or trial.
Now they just determine whether or not you are having an affair and leak the information to your wife. The courts haven't exactly been the governments best ally as of late.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Shows the importance of this. There was also an EO passed around this time if IIRC.
American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12
Yeah here is the EO ref.
Obama gives himself control of all communication systems in ...
Oh please. This is that Executive Order: Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions | The White House

Perhaps I missed something, but I couldn't find anything in the direct quotes of the Executive Order stating that it was the intent to "gives himself control of communication". What it does say is, "Survivable, resilient, enduring, and effective communications, both domestic and international, are essential to enable the executive branch to communicate within itself and with: the legislative and judicial branches; State, local, territorial, and tribal governments; private sector entities; and the public, allies, and other nations. Such communications must be possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies, and improve national resilience."

Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
If this story is true, that's pretty heavy handed, because my understanding is that parody (an imitative worked intended to mock, comment on or trivialize) is protected and considered fair use under copyright law. They took the NSA logo and changed around the wording to mock and make a political statement on the NSA. I hope this goes to court. The small business can't take on a court case against the government, but it would be nice if an organization that did have the finances to do it would get behind them.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
nothing was heavy handed. the man used the NSA logo without permission, on a commercial product.

that's like me using the image of Mickey Mouse, without permission of Disney on a tshirt and selling it.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh please. This is that Executive Order: Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions | The White House

Perhaps I missed something, but I couldn't find anything in the direct quotes of the Executive Order stating that it was the intent to "gives himself control of communication". What it does say is, "Survivable, resilient, enduring, and effective communications, both domestic and international, are essential to enable the executive branch to communicate within itself and with: the legislative and judicial branches; State, local, territorial, and tribal governments; private sector entities; and the public, allies, and other nations. Such communications must be possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies, and improve national resilience."
The article I posted contains a direct link to the EO. People can read it and decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies