Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,064,785 times

Advertisements

NSA employee spied on nine women without detection, internal memo shows | World news | theguardian.com

Quote:
A National Security Agency employee was able to secretly intercept the phone calls of nine foreign women for six years without ever being detected by his managers, the agency's internal watchdog has revealed.

The unauthorised abuse of the NSA's surveillance tools only came to light after one of the women, who happened to be a US government employee, told a colleague that she suspected the man – with whom she was having a sexual relationship – was listening to her calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM

16,860 posts, read 10,493,056 times
I'm voting for the first person who pledges to eliminate the NSA and not replace it.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,902,573 times
This is the kind of behavior that results from condoning and setting up such agencies. Good thing is it is coming to light. This slightly older doc was revealing.
Top Secret America | FRONTLINE | PBS

FRONTLINE | Sneak Peek: Inside "Top Secret America" | PBS - YouTube

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,722,876 times
Default NSA Admits: Okay, Okay, There Have Been A Bunch Of Intentional Abuses, Including Spying On Love Interests

I'll totally forgive the NSA if they'd only just release the nekked pictures of Jessica Alba that I KNOW they have managed to acquire during their snooping.

I also want all my missing socks back too.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'll totally forgive the NSA if they'd only just release the nekked pictures of Jessica Alba that I KNOW they have managed to acquire during their snooping.

I also want all my missing socks back too.
You sure about that? LOL

Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Did anybody catch those figures from that trailer? Now this came out in 2010 so I would bet the numbers are even larger now. However, think this is what the guy in the trailer said.

1 million people
17,000 locations
13,000 govt entities
3,666 priv sector entities
1200 govt agencies

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM

U.S. lawmakers seek to end bulk NSA telephone records collection | Reuters?
Quote:
Democratic and Republican U.S. senators introduced legislation on Wednesday to end the National Security Agency's bulk collection of Americans' communication records and set other new controls on the government's electronic eavesdropping programs.

The measure introduced by Democrats Ron Wyden, Mark Udall and Richard Blumenthal, and Republican Rand Paul, is one of several efforts making their way through Congress to rein in sweeping surveillance programs.
It's about time! Now somebody needs to figure out a way to get Senator Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Mike Rogers to resign as heads of their respective Congressional Intelligence Committees. That's when the American public will really start to discover why we desperately need to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act which has allowed our nation's Intelligence Agencies to trample the US Constitution.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
U.S. lawmakers seek to end bulk NSA telephone records collection | Reuters?

It's about time! Now somebody needs to figure out a way to get Senator Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Mike Rogers to resign as heads of their respective Congressional Intelligence Committees. That's when the American public will really start to discover why we desperately need to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act which has allowed our nation's Intelligence Agencies to trample the US Constitution.
Oh I am sure they are on it.
from the article:
"The disclosures over the last 100 days have caused a sea change in the way the public views the surveillance system," said Wyden, a leading congressional advocate for tighter privacy controls, told a news conference.

"These reforms are the right thing to do, but they are also essential to the public believing that the system is complying with the law," Blumenthal said.

Translation:
The sheeple are paying attention, better act like we are doing something til this blows over.

I am sure the NSA et al is glad to see issues like Detroit BK and Obama care taking the spotlight recently.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Translation:
The sheeple are paying attention, better act like we are doing something til this blows over.
My take is that as the money situation gets more tense in DC people are asking what the Intelligence Agencies are doing with the massive amounts of money they receive. Case in point, the FBI's budget is roughly $8,000,000,000 a year yet you have this:

New FBI Director James B. Comey stunned by impact of sequestration on agents in the field - The Washington Post

Quote:
In the first week of his new job as FBI director, James B. Comey had already heard about how training had stopped for recruits at Quantico and that the bureau wasn’t planning on bringing in any new agents next year, all because of budget cuts.

But Comey was stunned when he began visiting FBI field offices this month and heard directly from his special agents. New intelligence investigations were not being opened. Criminal cases were being closed. Informants couldn’t be paid. And there was not enough funding for agents to put gas in their cars.
It's time to do some serious top-down accounting on every penny spent by agencies like the FBI and NSA because it's become painfully obvious that something is seriously wrong within them. Like I said, Dianne Feinstein and Mike Rogers gotta go!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
My take is that as the money situation gets more tense in DC people are asking what the Intelligence Agencies are doing with the massive amounts of money they receive. Case in point, the FBI's budget is roughly $8,000,000,000 a year yet you have this:

New FBI Director James B. Comey stunned by impact of sequestration on agents in the field - The Washington Post

It's time to do some serious top-down accounting on every penny spent by agencies like the FBI and NSA because it's become painfully obvious that something is seriously wrong within them. Like I said, Dianne Feinstein and Mike Rogers gotta go!
Budgets only tell so much. Need to look at the accounting records, the books. Even that is limited with these types of agencies. You can bet a great deal of funding is going black. Technology isn't cheap either. You think expenditures like that 500 dollar toilet seat is an accident? Or those trillions they can't find? LOL

52.6 billion
The Black Budget: Top secret U.S. intelligence funding ...

NSA black budget leak: telecom networks access for $278 ...
quote:
The Post says that the program projects to spend $278 million this year, although this is actually down from the $394 million that the program spent in 2011.

Many of these reps are all too aware of the spying, been going on for quite awhile. I don't doubt some are starting to realize the monster that has been growing in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies