Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times

Advertisements

A 90 year old WW2 vet and his wife are being evicted from subsidized housing for violating a new smoking ban that prohibits smoking inside and within 10 feet of the building.

"It's like they're going to turn this into a concentration camp," Nowicki said as he enjoyed a smoke in his rolling chair, wheeled the required distance from the building. "I don't know why they singled me out."

The couple's daughter, Janet Nowicki, said she has no idea where her parents will go if they are forced out of the $714-a-month apartment where they have lived for 20 years. They live on small fixed incomes and her mother has advanced Alzheimer's disease, making any move especially difficult.

I blame Obama and the nanny state that doesn't let a person stink up their own apartment.

Newington eviction: Newington War Vet Being Evicted For Breaking Smoking Rules - Courant.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
A vet, you say? I think the penalties should be quadrupled!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
I suspect leftists think only right wingers smoke and that's why they terrorize smokers. I've never seen any demographics on smokers, but I think they're wrong.

There's no explaining why heroin addicts aren't paying extra for Obamacare, but smokers are.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
What does being a vet have to do with anything? You violate the rules, you are asked to leave. What's so difficult about this?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Subsidized housing, surprisingly the cons have yet to see this and jump all over this thread about him being a moocher.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 90 year old WW2 vet and his wife are being evicted from subsidized housing for violating a new smoking ban that prohibits smoking inside and within 10 feet of the building.

"It's like they're going to turn this into a concentration camp," Nowicki said as he enjoyed a smoke in his rolling chair, wheeled the required distance from the building. "I don't know why they singled me out."

The couple's daughter, Janet Nowicki, said she has no idea where her parents will go if they are forced out of the $714-a-month apartment where they have lived for 20 years. They live on small fixed incomes and her mother has advanced Alzheimer's disease, making any move especially difficult.

I blame Obama and the nanny state that doesn't let a person stink up their own apartment.

Newington eviction: Newington War Vet Being Evicted For Breaking Smoking Rules - Courant.com
Most likely some asinine neighbor complained because they could "smell smoke" in THEIR apartment. This is why I don't live around people. I hope that someone will come to this man's aid. And I hope the neighbor has a stroke or worse.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Well, I think there's a much nicer way of going about this, but smoking IS a choice after all, and not only a health, but fire hazard as well. I would support the eviction proceedings being dropped if he promised to quit smoking, but this is taxpayer subsidized housing, and there's a price for living there.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Subsidized housing, surprisingly the cons have yet to see this and jump all over this thread about him being a moocher.
...and he gets around on his Obama-scooter. It's a retirement home and many elderly residents can't take the second hand smoke. I hate walking through the wall of smoke and smokers at the entrance of office buildings.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What does being a vet have to do with anything? You violate the rules, you are asked to leave. What's so difficult about this?
Some people think veterans or the elderly are above the concept of "personal responsibility" I guess.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
The rules have been in place for over 2 1/2 years. It is a matter of moving 10 feet beyond the building. The rules should be no different for him than anyone else. He has lived in the subsidized housing for over 20 years, you would think he would value his home more than smoking. He does have a daughter, if she is concerned that he should be able to smoke where he lives perhaps she needs to move him in with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies