Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I propose 2 questions:

1. Name the President
2. Name the Vice President

If they can't do that then they have no right to vote because they have no clue about politics and cannot make informed choices.
Would you hand the keys to your car to someone without asking if they can drive ?

That said..
33% of Americans in 2009 could not name the Vice President
39% of Americans in 2012 could not name the Vice President

And it's the same guy in both cases. Americans are getting more apathetic as time goes on.
To be fair, the Veep is an extremely nebulous position in our government, and we've had plenty of Veeps with administration roles that one couldn't begin to define. I don't know what Biden does, Bush did, Agnew did, Rockefeller did, or Quayle did. They were just....there.

Look, the test may sound reasonable and all, but if we can go from having no test to having a test, then we can go from having a simple, reasonable test to having a complicated, unreasonable test...and on and on.

Where would it end? The most I will advocate for is that ALL voting materials should be in English only. That's common sense. More than that, and the hair on my neck stands up. It raises some very bad suspicions.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It might be a good idea to make voting a privilege instead of a right.
Of course it should not be a privilege based on race, gender, religion..., but a privilege based on knowledge and interest. Then people can realize its value.

College education is a privilege too and people need to earn it by showing decent records and potential. It works well.
Where in your daily reading of the constitution could you find justification for that?

Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Interesting that only 14 percent of engineers ID as democrats. That's a seriously low number.

Engineers tend to focus on 'what works' and have a very sensitive BS detector. However, I have also run into engineers who were conspiracy buff types. Maybe those were the engineers who should have been scientists.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Interesting that only 14 percent of engineers ID as democrats. That's a seriously low number.

Engineers tend to focus on 'what works' and have a very sensitive BS detector. However, I have also run into engineers who were conspiracy buff types. Maybe those were the engineers who should have been scientists.
Nah! None of the scientists I know are into these ludicrous conspiracies. I agree that quite a few engineers are.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It might be a good idea to make voting a privilege instead of a right.
Of course it should not be a privilege based on race, gender, religion..., but a privilege based on knowledge and interest. Then people can realize its value.

College education is a privilege too and people need to earn it by showing decent records and potential. It works well.
No way...making voting a privilege instead of a right is something that cannot be trusted in the hands of Americans. We can't be trusted, given our history, to decide on who we should rightfully disenfranchise or at the least 'discourage' from something as fundamental as voting.

In a free society, we just have to accept that some people don't have either the interest or the aptitude to be politically informed. That's a bummer, but better than the alternative.

As it is, most eligible voters don't bother anyway. So really, you're already getting your wish more or less.

Especially in the primaries. We've got a few yokels in Iowa and New Hampshire determining presidential candidates. Lol..

I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where in your daily reading of the constitution could you find justification for that?
Laws are made by men.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Fields of study tend to be more homogenous in nature as like minded people are found within them.
Teaching for example has a high number of Democrats.

A lot of that conspiracy stuff is because there remain unanswered questions so speculation abounds.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No way...making voting a privilege instead of a right is something that cannot be trusted in the hands of Americans. We can't be trusted, given our history, to decide on who we should rightfully disenfranchise or at the least 'discourage' from something as fundamental as voting.

In a free society, we just have to accept that some people don't have either the interest or the aptitude to be politically informed. That's a bummer, but better than the alternative.

As it is, most eligible voters don't bother anyway. So really, you're already getting your wish more or less.

Especially in the primaries. We've got a few yokels in Iowa and New Hampshire determining presidential candidates. Lol..

I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift.
That "some" though is climbing. 39% are clueless as of the last poll and that was just to name the Vice President.

What happens when 50% of the country don't know who's running the government ?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The difference is the scientist has the option for failure. A engineer has to deal with absolutes, they can't engineer a bridge and to see if it's going to work. It has to work.
Or in my case (Aerospace Engineer) You don't want your plane to fall out of the sky because someone was just conducting a Social Experiment with it. We are mostly analytical types and have to experiment, but at the end of the day we have to bring a product to market and don't have the luxury of never ending studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies