Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think there's another reason.
Most engineers are men, however quite a few biologists and chemists are women.
The vast majority are also white, with some Asians.
Not sure what race has to do with this subject, but whatever...

Science and engineering go hand in hand, to say one is better than the other, doesn't really make much sense, if anything, engineering is the practical approach to problem solving, which is based on scientific principles, in most cases........

Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
imagine that.

people who live by the laws of logic tend to be...well... LOGICAL...

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
This is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on City-Data. Engineering is the practical application of the findings and knowledge of specific scientific disciplines. If, for example, there had never been any scientists to study the nature of electromagnetism, there would not have been any electrical engineers to design the components of the computer you used to post your inane message, because there would have been no knowledge on which to base the principles of electrical engineering. If the science of chemistry did not exist, there would be no chemical engineers, and a lot of the substances we take for granted in our daily lives (many medicines, components of certain foods, gas, plastics) would not exist.

The study of the universe and its properties is where the long chain of knowledge that ultimately makes our lives so much easier and more convenient begins.
I'm pretty sure I know which post is stupid.

Case in point: I worked with Electrical, EMI, EMC engineers for 40 years. I know whereof I speak. They don't chase unicorns and fairies. They don't sit around wondering if there are mushrooms on Planet Pluto.

Deal with it!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
This of course being a fundamental part of Engineering. Understanding the Nuts and Bolts of how something is expected to function.

Scientists get to sit around and think about "wouldn't it be great if...?"
Except that scientist figure out the nuts and bolts of how things work as well. Seriously, what do you guys think science is?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Case in point: I worked with Electrical, EMI, EMC engineers for 40 years. I know whereof I speak. They don't chase unicorns and fairies. They don't sit around wondering if there are mushrooms on Planet Pluto.

Deal with it!
Do they ever wonder if they might have cancer? There is more to science than just space exploration.

Deal with it.

1,261 posts, read 2,146,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Well, you don't.

Quote:
What you won't realize is that these engineers would not have anything to engineer at all if someone hadn't done the science first. Are you not accepting this on purpose or are you just that dumb? Who do you think discovered all of the physical and mathematical laws and principles that all engineering disciplines are ultimately based on?

Quote:
Deal with it!
It is hard dealing with your level of ignorance, but I will try.

1,174 posts, read 2,513,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I'm an engineer and, although I can agree that I tend to deal with problems pragmatically instead of solely on emotion, I don't agree that I or many of the other engineers I work with are conservative. Maybe financially, but certainly not socially.
I agree with that. The numbers from the study are uncited and pretty much meaningless. All we know is that 1,200 readers of Machine Design have voluntarily identified themselves as overwhelmingly conservative.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except that scientist figure out the nuts and bolts of how things work as well. Seriously, what do you guys think science is?
Science is on a different plane then engineering.

Scientists explore while engineers apply.
They are two different distinct fields.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What a crock of compost! The scientist first has to run the experiments before the engineer can design the bridge properly!
lol. Your lack of knowledge is amusing.

Next time an airplane, missile, or drone flies over your head and doesn't fall into your compost pile, think of the engineers I worked with, and thank them. There wasn't a scientist on the property, anywhere, nada, nope, none! All Engineers.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Science is on a different plane then engineering.
Science created engineering, so yes it is on a different plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies