U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM

9,335 posts, read 8,801,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Depending on the field of study.
I have a CS degree. Had to take 2 physics classes and 2 physics labs.
No other science class.
And I would not say I had a science background either based on me taking 2 classes.
Most engineering degrees only have general physics as the science requirement.
However, mechanical engineering degree requires more mechanics, chemical engineering requires more chemistry etc.

Computer science is not the traditional engineering or science. It is the application of logic and mathematics in artificial intelligence (in a broad sense).

Anyway, they all require advanced mathematics such as calculus, which is different from social sciences and arts.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM

23,832 posts, read 22,081,612 times
Makes sense to me!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 AM

6,941 posts, read 9,171,177 times
Software engineering involves more logical reasoning than other engineering discipline, and I could guarantee you most software engineers in Silicon Valley are liberals or libertarians. This doesn't say that there's a correlation, but it shows you that an occupation that involves logical reasoning does not make one a conservative.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM

16,213 posts, read 9,936,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Some (most?) are skeptical concerning religion. Speaking for myself, I call myself an atheistically-leaning antagonistic. I don't believe there is any kind of "creator"...but do admit that there are things that we don't currently understand about the origin of life. However, I regard most organized religion as a rather silly way to control the masses, and yes, to achieve some degree of power for the leadership. Just the same, I recognize that religion can be a force for good, when practiced by those that believe in it's tenants. At the same time, a "mob", driven by an unquestioning faith in the words of any man, can be a very dangerous thing. At the same time, I relate more to many Christians than some of the "out there" wack-a-loons that are fellow atheists. When we have a conversation over a few drinks I find that the bulk of the engineers I have worked with have similar feelings.

My primary customers in my current job are are some of the nations leading scientists in our universities and national labs. They are in the physical sciences, primarily physics, materials science and chemistry. I don't make a point of talking politics with customers, but of those that have expressed an opinion on the subject, ALL have been, if not "conservative", at least "anti-liberal". I suspect that there is a huge difference between those in the hard sciences and those in the social sciences.

All I have spoken with are disgusted with the decay of the work ethic in this country. All are concerned with the lack of focus on the hard sciences in public schools, as well as the lack of focus on the teaching of productive skills (trades) in this country. We not only have a shortage of experienced scientists and engineers in this country, but perhaps even more so in the "skilled trades" fields. Things like machining, mold making, tool and die making, electricians. All of these are fields that require a high degree of intelligence and independent though. Yet very little focus in on any of these fields in the schools. We'll spend a huge amount of money on music and art teachers and programs, but very little on those that teach productive skills.
I am not an engineer but ITA with the above. I know some engineers and they are similar in views to what Toyman describes.

But I will note that many schools have cut music and art programs substantially along with skilled trades and hard science.

I am an independent, I used to be an atheistically leaning agnostic but am a full atheist now (lol, if one can say that) but I don't subscribe to the mania of mainstream liberal atheists as I agree with your view of religion almost exactly.

It is a shame that religiosity has become such a threat to science and in turn engineering IMO. Especially where I live in the southern states. And oddly enough, I am considering moving back to my hometown where they do have a high school that teaches skilled trades and is heavily STEM focused for my son who wants to be an engineer.

I feel though that art and music are important, just as science, engineering and skilled trades. People who have a musical background are usually better at math and art in the classroom can be an aid to engineers and scientists IMO so I don't want to see art and music eliminated, just like I don't want to see math and science watered down either.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

81,865 posts, read 39,148,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone has to do the experiments first.
Are you implying that engineering students have no lab classes in which they experiment while pursuing the goal of reaching predetermined outcome parameters? If so, you'd be wrong.

Quote:
I will tell you, that, working in immunizations as I do, it's the engineers, not the scientists, who frequently oppose immunizations for wacko reasons.
Wacko reasons being what, exactly?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

9,335 posts, read 8,801,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Software engineering involves more logical reasoning than other engineering discipline, and I could guarantee you most software engineers in Silicon Valley are liberals or libertarians. This doesn't say that there's a correlation, but it shows you that an occupation that involves logical reasoning does not make one a conservative.
I studied both mechanical engineering and computer science.
I do not really think software engineering involves more logical reasoning than mechanical engineering. It is just more like linguistics with some discrete mathematics. However, in order to understand laws of mechanics and use them, one needs to be very logical as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM

6,941 posts, read 9,171,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I studied both mechanical engineering and computer science.
I do not really think software engineering involves more logical reasoning than mechanical engineering. It is just more like linguistics with some discrete mathematics. However, in order to understand laws of mechanics and use them, one needs to be very logical as well.
Mechanical engineering doesn't use logic. It uses laws to complete tasks.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 80,643,629 times
Quote:
Most engineering degrees only have general physics as the science requirement.
However, mechanical engineering degree requires more mechanics, chemical engineering requires more chemistry etc.

Computer science is not the traditional engineering or science. It is the application of logic and mathematics in artificial intelligence (in a broad sense).

Anyway, they all require advanced mathematics such as calculus, which is different from social sciences and arts.
Oh yeah..I had over 30+ credits in various math classes.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,319,784 times
Quote:
Engineers tend to view themselves as much less liberal and slightly more conservative than the general public, according to a recent survey of over 1,200 readers of MACHINE DESIGN and Electronic Design magazines. The same survey also found that engineers say they are more likely to be Republican (42.1%) or Independent (33.7%) voters, as opposed to Democrats (14.5%). And although over a third of the engineers think Republicans represent the best interests of the engineering community better than Democrats, a majority of engineers (48.1%) believe neither party is really on the side of engineers.

The politics of engineers | News content from Machine Design
Engineers have to produce results in the real world. Buildings that don't fall down, planes that don't crash, cars that perform better than the other company's, electronics that do what they are supposed to and don't fail.

Lying to people to get enough votes, as liberals must do to push their agenda, doesn't cut it in the engineer's world. He must deal with truth, reality and what the results actually are, not what he dreams it would be nice if they were. Or else truth and reality will deal with him.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM

46,038 posts, read 33,484,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Wrong. The Research & Development group, all Engineers.

Everything was designed and tested on site by Engineers and Experimental Test Pilots, all of whom held Engineering degrees.
I don't think one would call Sir Isaac Newton an engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.