Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed1727
A pharmaceutical scientist has to come up with the right chemical composition and dose of a medication, otherwise his medication is going to seriously maim or kill the client. Engineers aren't the only ones that have to work with absolutes.

So? My brother-in-law owns his own business and has gotten state and local government contracts before. So far, he hasn't turned into a liberal. Doesn't mean anything.

I am not sure how it is defined in this context, but a pharmaceutical scientist is not considered a scientist in many countries. They are doctors. They do not write a PhD dissertation.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most "scientists" depend on governmental funding, if they are not employed by government to begin with. Many of them have never left schools in their entire life.
Most scientists couldn't hold a real job where they had to product working results.

Unlike Engineers.

I would much rather drive over a bridge designed by an Engineer than a crazy scientist running an experiment to find out if some harebrained idea works.

Scientists: Daydreamers.

Engineers: Doers.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Most scientists couldn't hold a real job where they had to product working results.

Unlike Engineers.

I would much rather drive over a bridge designed by an Engineer than a crazy scientist running an experiment to find out if some harebrained idea works.

This is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on City-Data. Engineering is the practical application of the findings and knowledge of specific scientific disciplines. If, for example, there had never been any scientists to study the nature of electromagnetism, there would not have been any electrical engineers to design the components of the computer you used to post your inane message, because there would have been no knowledge on which to base the principles of electrical engineering. If the science of chemistry did not exist, there would be no chemical engineers, and a lot of the substances we take for granted in our daily lives (many medicines, components of certain foods, gas, plastics) would not exist.

The study of the universe and its properties is where the long chain of knowledge that ultimately makes our lives so much easier and more convenient begins.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
I'm an engineer and, although I can agree that I tend to deal with problems pragmatically instead of solely on emotion, I don't agree that I or many of the other engineers I work with are conservative. Maybe financially, but certainly not socially.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Unlike Engineers.

Have you ever driven on the Interstate and got over to the right for your exit only to find out it was on the left side? Engineers.

To them, left means right and right means left because that is the shortest distance. I believe much of the traffic in this country is the fault of engineers.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I have a "collection" of engineers in my life as my future son-in-law says. Some are liberal, some are conservative.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And yet most scientists, another group of hard thinkers and math users, tend to be more liberal than the general public. The only conclusion we can draw from this is that educated people tend to be more aware of their political beliefs than the general public
Yes.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That is because they tend to be thinking types and less "emotional" in terms of dealing with problems, so this doesn't surprise me....
Which is not a bad thing. Emotion leads to decisions like invading Iraq.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
What the OP doesn't realize is that this mostly means fiscal conservative. I would bet that, if there were a mainstream libertarian party, 70%+ engineers would identify with that.

It just doesn't make sense that people who are smart enough to be engineers would be stupid enough to support the kind of things social "conservatives" support.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The difference is the scientist has the option for failure. A engineer has to deal with absolutes, they can't engineer a bridge and to see if it's going to work. It has to work.

This of course being a fundamental part of Engineering. Understanding the Nuts and Bolts of how something is expected to function.

Scientists get to sit around and think about "wouldn't it be great if...?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies