Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:40 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times

Advertisements

Obama is about to bypass Congress and smother businesses in new energy regulations. You can best believe they won't kick in until after the election.

The Republicans, who must think the American public is stupid, will just talk about prices going up with home heating/cooling and at the pump when campaigning but EVERYTHING will go up in price and they need to educate the public on how these regulations will impact them not just at the pump and in their utility bills. They and the media never mention pass down costs from businesses. You will pay more for food, clothing...all products as businesses pass the cost of those regulations, to them, down to you in the cost of their products. It's not only the businesses that have to comply with the regulations but every company that will have to pay more for fuel to get products and services to you/stores and heat and cool their own businesses and that's just about every business. Then there are the small business that will have to cut jobs to pay for these new expenses.

And although not the topic of this post --- this article doesn't even mention pass down costs or the impact on employment. This is an example of media bias. Media bias doesn't just rear it's head in what they say but in what they leave out.

"Republicans and industry groups contend the rules will raise prices on home energy bills and at the gas pump, and warn the coal country, unable to meet the new standards, could be put out of business... They're also upset that the administration is sidestepping Congress. The success of President Obama's second-term climate agenda hinges on a set of regulations now in the works at the Environmental Protection Agency. His plan to combat global warming through new emissions standards and a shift toward increased renewable energy faces serious opposition from business groups, and Congress is steeling for battle. But if the regulations survive the attacks — and subsequent legal challenges — they could amount to one of the president's most consequential initiatives, his supporters say."

REGULATION NATION: Obama bypassing Congress on climate - The Hill's RegWatch

Your kids are going to be living with you for a very long time. No impact on the middle class? Yeah, right. There will be an impact on everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Pittsburgh PA 1940s before smoke control

I'd rather my kids have an environment that didn't kill them.
Business can catch up or go the way of the dinosaur.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,180 times
Yeah, if only businesses were allowed to dump anything wherever they please things would be cheap.

Especially human life in the opinion of people who love to pollute.

If they can't compete, let them go out of business. There are plenty of green businesses that are going gangbusters here. The free market selects winners.

Quit whining about laws helping people breathe without difficulty, or have safe drinking water.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,306,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
OYour kids are going to be living with you for a very long time. No impact on the middle class? Yeah, right. There will be an impact on everyone.
Yup, it's about to get real ugly. Remember when you could go grocery shopping for a family of four and it didn't cost you $200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I'd rather my kids have an environment that didn't kill them.
Business can catch up or go the way of the dinosaur.
And this will be the typical brain-dead response from the libs. Over and over and over...

Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
The government will just expand the welfare energy program that helps you pay your electric bill to subsidize more people.
It's 130% of the poverty line now so they can up it to 400% like Obamacare.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
I have five kids, ages 30, 28, 26, 24, and 20. None of them live at home now, and as adults not one of them has ever asked to live at home, or presumed they'd be able to live at home as an adult. We raised our kids to be self sufficient and independent and I am proud to say that without exception, that's exactly what they are. We helped each of them "make the leap" from home life to adulthood - and the leap was completed successfully in every case. (The twenty year old is still in college so we're still supporting him financially but when he graduates, the financial support will come to a planned end within a few short months.)

Three of the four completely grown and independent kids are married and two of them have kids. All are either fully employed or in the case of my oldest daughter - a SAHM with a husband who has a great job. No 26 year olds living in our basement or on our insurance, no grandbaby raising going on here. And everyone's happier for it!

We love our kids and grandkids, and they love us back - it's not a matter of whether or not we love and support each other. It's a matter of expectations and goals and a love of independence.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
There's a reason why wood burning stoves are making a comeback.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup, it's about to get real ugly. Remember when you could go grocery shopping for a family of four and it didn't cost you $200?
Groceries can be a huge expense. But most people I know are also eating out a lot - which is an even bigger expense. Not only that, but they think nothing about a huge cable TV bill and another huge cell phone bill. $40 to go see a movie with another person is nothing.

I'm just saying that I think people's priorities are pretty screwed up in a lot of cases.

My oldest daughter and her husband (aged 30) wanted my daughter to be able to stay at home with the kids rather than work. Until he earned his commission as an officer, he was an enlisted airman in the Air Force - in other words, he didn't make much money AT ALL. They didn't have cable TV, and they only had one cell phone they shared between them. They didn't eat out - she cooked everything from scratch at home. They didn't buy sodas or any other junk food (junk food is also usually expensive, and not a good nutrition alternative when every dollar counts). She grew a garden at home for many of their fresh vegetables. She used cloth diapers. She shopped for kids clothes (and her own clothes) at resale shops and garage sales. For date nights, I'd watch their kids while they went to a local coffee shop, or went walking around the mall, or hiking for an afternoon - instead of dropping $50 on a meal and another $40 on a movie.

A lot of people won't even consider such options.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Kick 'em to the curb. If they can't make a living by the age of 40, you raised them wrong.

Gee, I thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,306,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have five kids, ages 30, 28, 26, 24, and 20. None of them live at home now, and as adults not one of them has ever asked to live at home, or presumed they'd be able to live at home as an adult.
An increasing number of people don't have that luxury. A Rising Share of Young Adults Live in Their Parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies