U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,497,862 times
Reputation: 619

Advertisements

I personally do not fly or wear the Confederate Flag, however I know many people who do, and none of those people are racist. Some of those people are even black. Now I know that the KKK and other racist groups use the flag, but they also use Christian symbols too like crosses, does that make the cross a racist symbol?

I am also well aware that the Confederates used it in the Civil War and that the key issues was slavery (but there were other issues too) however most people in the south, including Dixie soldiers, did not own slaves and many were personally against it, including Robert E. Lee who thought slavery was an abomination. And not all Union soldiers and people in the north were racially tolerant and many of them supported slavery.

However today it's used more as a symbol of Southern Pride and I see a lot of black people sporting it too. In fact I find it hypocritical that many of the same people who freak out about a person wearing the confederate flag will have no problem with someone wearing a shirt of mass murderers Che Guvara. These are the same people who find crosses that people wear to be offensive too.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,112 posts, read 4,063,341 times
Reputation: 1703
I agree with you. The Confederate Flag is only as racist as the Nazi Swastika. No big deal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: South Side
4,046 posts, read 9,759,533 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I personally do not fly or wear the Confederate Flag, however I know many people who do, and none of those people are racist.
Maybe you are unaware of its use as a symbol of resistance to integration.

The 'stars and bars' did not fly on the capitol grounds in SC until it was raised in the sixties to denote the state's resistance to school integration and its hope to continue racial segregation as a way of life. Consequently, many black folks object to it being flown there. Basically the flag was used as a racist symbol by whites in the south. Now, you ask why someone would consider the flag racist? Or, more to the point, why some folks object to it being flown on public property, like state capitol grounds?

So, there is a symbolism which goes with that flag. Or, did you not know that the US flag was flown in the late sixties by proponents of the Vietnam war to show they backed continuation of that folly?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
24,036 posts, read 12,249,135 times
Reputation: 9810
The neonazis fly the CBF and the swastika together. When they started, the Sons of Confederate Veterans sat on thier tongues and refused to repudiate the neonazis or even make a strong statement. They simply let them coopt the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol without a whimper.

It's a bit late now for all their "heritage" BS. We know where they really stand.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
24,036 posts, read 12,249,135 times
Reputation: 9810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Maybe you are unaware of its use as a symbol of resistance to integration.

The 'stars and bars' did not fly on the capitol grounds in SC until it was raised in the sixties to denote the state's resistance to school integration and its hope to continue racial segregation as a way of life. Consequently, many black folks object to it being flown there. Basically the flag was used as a racist symbol by whites in the south. Now, you ask why someone would consider the flag racist? Or, more to the point, why some folks object to it being flown on public property, like state capitol grounds?

So, there is a symbolism which goes with that flag. Or, did you not know that the US flag was flown in the late sixties by proponents of the Vietnam war to show they backed continuation of that folly?
It's still in front of the State House, on Gervais Street. I drove past it this afternoon. That is why the neonazis chose SC for a rally to celebrate Hitler's birthday in 2007. I have pictures from the rally, and the nazi candidate for president called the flag out as the reason when he spoke that afternoon.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,630 posts, read 13,264,986 times
Reputation: 15786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Maybe you are unaware of its use as a symbol of resistance to integration.

The 'stars and bars' did not fly on the capitol grounds in SC until it was raised in the sixties to denote the state's resistance to school integration and its hope to continue racial segregation as a way of life. Consequently, many black folks object to it being flown there...
Historical note: the "Stars and Bars" was the original national flag of the Confederate States of America - it looked similar to the "Stars and Stripes" but with only two red bars and one white bar in the middle; it had a blue field in the upper left corner like the US flag. I think you are mistaking it for Gen. Beauregards's Battle Flag, which we commonly think of as the "Confederate flag."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM
 
56,217 posts, read 30,551,280 times
Reputation: 18359
I accept that the Confederate flag is about history and heritage. Fine.

But I accord it no respect whatsoever. It's just a piece of cloth to me. If it's laying around and i need a rag for something, then guess what?

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Stasis
15,834 posts, read 10,951,992 times
Reputation: 8576
The flag was created at the start of the Civil War and not widely used except as a battle flag. It gained popularity in the 1950's as a symbol against desegregation. Cloak it as a "symbol of Southern Pride" but every one knows what it's really about.
Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,581 posts, read 8,840,762 times
Reputation: 4162
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I accept that the Confederate flag is about history and heritage. Fine.
Yes... a history and heritage heavy on black slavery.

A war was fought over that (among other things), remember?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 08-26-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM
 
1,214 posts, read 1,497,862 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It's still in front of the State House, on Gervais Street. I drove past it this afternoon. That is why the neonazis chose SC for a rally to celebrate Hitler's birthday in 2007. I have pictures from the rally, and the nazi candidate for president called the flag out as the reason when he spoke that afternoon.
I've never seen neo Nazi's in South Carolina. The most racist parts of the country that I've been to were the Pacific Northwest region an surprisingly Hawaii. No neo Nazi's in the latter but a lot of the native Hawaiians hate white people.

However in both places racists were the minority.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top