U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 AM

25,230 posts, read 15,237,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are already liquor taxes, cigarette taxes why not a gun and ammo tax if it promotes the public health.
They don't promote anything but more money for the State, same can be said of more taxes on guns and ammo as they will do apsolutely nothing for safety but will bring in more money for the State or Feds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM

22,363 posts, read 13,128,648 times
Another "sin tax". Like cigarettes. Singling people out you don't like and punishing them with taxes.

Whether we like it or not, guns and ammo are legal. There should be a law against special taxes on unpopular things.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,710,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was listening to Coast to Coast AM last night and the guest had some interesting observations. He said that the war against guns was over, there's just no way the feds can ever hope to ban guns since there are too many and the desire of the people to own them is too widespread and too ingrained in our culture. The feds have failed at every turn in trying to generate a reason to ban them and will try something new. Not aimed at guns but owners, possibly. Or manufacturers.
I wonder what they're planning. Thankfully stupid is the new normal in DC so we'll have a good chance at outsmarting them again and again.

I"ll tell you'll how they will get the guns...via the SUpreme Court. As this nation and it's lazy underclass of degenerates becomes more and more liberal, expect more liberal Presidents and more liberal SUpreme Court appointees. They will have to wait a decade or two, but they will get their gun grab.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Reload your own ammo.
Too freakn expensive theses days and they will get around to the components sooner or later.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 AM

46,038 posts, read 31,737,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I"ll tell you'll how they will get the guns...via the SUpreme Court. As this nation and it's lazy underclass of degenerates becomes more and more liberal, expect more liberal Presidents and more liberal SUpreme Court appointees. They will have to wait a decade or two, but they will get their gun grab.
Yep, blame it on others for the right's failure to win votes.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But the physical gun and ammo are merchandise. You have a right to own a gun, you don't have a right to free, non-taxed guns and ammo.
True and taxes are already paid when buying them, I alwasy find it interesting when people use the excuse that it helps the public to add more and more "sin" taxes to items, I guess owning a gun is the new "sin" on the block. The only thing that happens with more taxes is more revenue for the government and of-course more wasteful spending using those funds.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
True and taxes are already paid when buying them, I alwasy find it interesting when people use the excuse that it helps the public to add more and more "sin" taxes to items, I guess owning a gun is the new "sin" on the block. The only thing that happens with more taxes is more revenue for the government and of-course more wasteful spending using those funds.
Exactly, a politician will not be voted out by raising taxes on guns/ammo or cigarettes. They do it because they can get away with it. That's why there should be some kind of amendment to the constitution to protect the individual from the tyranny of the majority through taxes.

I'm not a gun person. I don't own one. I'm also not a smoker but it burns me when they raise taxes on cigarettes too. An easy way for gutless lawmakers to make up for revenue shortfalls.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM

76,038 posts, read 39,512,130 times
What is free about taxing a god given right?
Sounds like an infringement on our constitutional rights.

I don't abide by the 1934 Act, as it restricts my freedom.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 AM

46,038 posts, read 31,737,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is free about taxing a god given right?
Sounds like an infringement on our constitutional rights.

I don't abide by the 1934 Act, as it restricts my freedom.
There is no tax on your right to bear arms. There is a tax on the guns and ammo merchandise.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is no tax on your right to bear arms. There is a tax on the guns and ammo merchandise.
Why should it be taxed more than coffee makers or coffee? That is bad for your health too right? Some doctors say that.

How about alcohol? Sure there are some extra taxes but if they really wanted to raise some revenue and if you really want to find the foundation of most health issues and society problems you can start with alcohol. Who not tax the crap out of that?

Because it will cost them votes, that's why. Such hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies