Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are already liquor taxes, cigarette taxes why not a gun and ammo tax if it promotes the public health.

oh, its for the children ?

why didnt you say so ?

BTW...

there already is a tax on guns and ammo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So guns should be free cause it is a privilege? Actually your right to own a gun is a privilege, the actual gun is not a privilege, it is a piece of merchandise.
WOW, you reading comprehension is not that good is it?

Now, let's look at what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe its a right and not a privilege....
Please show me in my quote above where I said a gun is a privilege....go ahead, I'll wait, it may take a few minutes for you read and fully comprehend that single sentence....

Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Except you need a birth certificate to get that free voter ID, so it's not really free unless BC is free.
Well not really, but that is a great lie that the left continues to tell....all fees can be waived, this is PA, only because it was the first in a Google search...

Be sure to read it all and get to the end, that is where the good stuff and your lie is debunked, about PA anyway, but I'm willing to bet, most states will follow or have the same rules......

And PA is a....go ahead and say it.....a democratic state.....

Quote:
For a Secure Pennsylvania Photo ID

$13.50 fee for acquiring an Identification Card will be waived for individuals completing the Oath/ Affirmation Voter ID form. All identification documentation is still required to obtain an Identification Card as follows:
Step1
To obtain a Pennsylvania Photo Identification card for voting purposes, an individual needs to visit a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver License Center with a completed Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card; form DL-54A, and the following:

Social Security Card
AND
One of the following:

• Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • *Birth Certificate with a raised seal
PLUS
  • Two proofs of **residency such as lease agreements, current utility bills, mortgage documents, W-2 form, tax records
*If they do not have a birth certificate with a raised seal and are a Pennsylvania native; and do not have one of the acceptable, alternative forms of photo identification to vote; and will provide a signed oath/affirmation form, when visiting the PennDOT driver license center, they must:

• Tell the PennDOT customer service representative they are a Pennsylvania native who needs a photo ID for voting purposes, and do not have a certified copy of their birth certificate;
  • Sign an oath/affirmation that they do not have an acceptable form of ID for voting purposes and the photo ID is needed for voting purposes;
  • Show a Social Security card and two proofs of residence, such as a deed, lease, tax bill, or utility bill;
  • Fill out a DL-54A form requesting a non-driver photo ID and;
  • Complete the HD01564F (Request for Certification of Birth Record for Voter ID Purposes Only) form, which collects information such as birth name, mother and father's name and place of birth. This Department of Health form is available at all Driver Licensing Centers.
PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Voter ID

Pennsylvania Presidential Election Voting History

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You can't manufacture votes and sell them to people in the store, so no, poll taxes would still be illegal.
You'll need to do better than that. Many intangibles are taxed.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
My right to own a gun is not a privilege, it's a right protected by the COTUS just like my right to freedom of speech. You do understand the difference between a right and a privilege right?
But the physical gun and ammo are merchandise. You have a right to own a gun, you don't have a right to free, non-taxed guns and ammo.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Because the right to bear arms is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT, and restricting them or making them more expensive (remember "shall not be INFRINGED"?) has absolutely NO relation to the public health. Gun control has NEVER improved either public health or crime statistics; in fact, disarming citizens usually sends crime rates higher because people cannot even defend themselves in their own homes.

Do you also think knives should be taxed out of existence, because they can be used to kill? Slingshot? Bows and arrows? How about fireworks, which are explosives--a favorite of mass murderers? How about fire and the ingredients used to make fire (wood, matches)? How about cars--a major killer that WOULD reduce the number of accidental deaths in the nation if they were outlawed?
So gun manufactures infringe on your right by charging you for the guns they make?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW, you reading comprehension is not that good is it?

Now, let's look at what I said:

Please show me in my quote above where I said a gun is a privilege....go ahead, I'll wait, it may take a few minutes for you read and fully comprehend that single sentence....
You are right, I meant to say you think guns should be free because it is a right? That is the correct question, sorry for the error.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You'll need to do better than that. Many intangibles are taxed.
Like what specifically?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Aside from showboating, these Democrats will not succeed as long as the GOP holds the House (foreseeable future).

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I was listening to Coast to Coast AM last night and the guest had some interesting observations. He said that the war against guns was over, there's just no way the feds can ever hope to ban guns since there are too many and the desire of the people to own them is too widespread and too ingrained in our culture. The feds have failed at every turn in trying to generate a reason to ban them and will try something new. Not aimed at guns but owners, possibly. Or manufacturers.
I wonder what they're planning. Thankfully stupid is the new normal in DC so we'll have a good chance at outsmarting them again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies