Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You managed to find two obscure sources saying that Assad is not responsible. Congratulations.
As opposed to none that says he is definitely responsible.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
not credible. Human Rights Watch today concluded that the Syrian regime was responsible. They are far more credible.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2013/09/10/...hemical-attack
Syria: Government Likely Culprit in Chemical Attack

They did NOT conclude they were responsible. People seem to see what they want to see.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah they'll sign it -- on the condition that we renounce the use of force to diminish Syria's chemical weapons capabilities. Which robs us of an opportunity to weaken the Assad regime politically and militarily, which substantially improves his chances of holding onto power, which keeps a client state of Russia and Iran in power and strengthens their positions in the region.

Masterfully done, Mr. President!
How does it strengthen their positions in the region, did Assad take power 3 weeks ago ?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have never wanted our forces to get involved in this. But the gassing of citizens, men, women and children is a heinous offense. I suspect that Assad feels he is not making progress, or is not doing so fast enough. So he murdered Syrian civilians. The second article puts him in the same class as Hitler and Mussolini.

At least after reading it I understand why the U. S. feels it must act. Apparently the government will use cruise missiles, not air power or boots on the ground. Even if you don't want our government to act, reading these pieces will help you understand why it is deemed important to do so.

I am on the fence on this. What do you think?
There is still no evidence linking Assad to the gas.

Either way... It's none of our business. We're not the Syrian government. They have a civil war over there.

If we cared so much about civilians, we would be doing far more in Africa. But no! A chance to mess around in a middle east country! Can't resist that...

It's not important to do anything. It's politics that have nothing to do with the US.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I do not support getting involved in another country's civil war, particularly when both sides hate us. It's an internal Syrian matter in which the use of chemical weapons is merely a historical footnote. Let the Arab league or one of the ME countries who are armed with the billions in weapons we've sold them pick up the fight.
Then, do you support the 100% dismantling of the UN, NATO, and other world reactive bodies? Because what you're saying is that none of the treaties we and other nations have signed are relevant and therefore the world should not in any case intervene when bad actors commit crimes against humanity.

Is that what you really envision for the United States, and the rest of the world?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Pretty sure John Kerry was the first one to speak of this plan publicly,not Syria or Russia.

It was Obama's plan with Kerry as the mouth piece.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
It looks like Syria is going to abide and sign the treaty just like we need them to. I think Obama made the right decision, but, I know many people will have nothing good to say no matter what he does or what happens.

excuse me, but Obama had zero to do with this
though as always he tries
and besides when the Russians get finished laughing their ass off and starting another cold war
just how is this supposed to work??
there are a thousand tons of this crap
who is going in Syria to oversee the removable??
No Obama's and Clinton's Arab Spring has been nothing but more killing fields!!! It was them who helped set the middle east in shambles in the first place
Obama keeps getting more corrupt just when I think he has reached the lowest he out does himself again
who will ever be able to dig us out of the mess he has created????

Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Uh huh...keep telling yourself that and maybe the squirrels in the park will believe you...there are facts a mile long backing it up,documentaries with interviews with the players involved ad nauseum...check before you post,of course unless you're really related to Cheney or something disgusting like that
The FACTS are easy to find to prove my statement. Your's are just a false re-writing of history.

Democrats that voted for war?:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

Bush didn't lie:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Com..._21_05_MB.html

[quote]

Bush, Cheney and the administration have the truth on their side. Exhaustive and authoritative examinations of the prewar intelligence, by the bipartisan report of the Senate Intelligence Committee in 2004, by the Silberman-Robb Commission in 2005 and by the British commission headed by Lord Butler, have established that U.S. intelligence agencies, and the intelligence organizations of leading countries like Britain, France and Germany, believed that Saddam Hussein's regime was in possession of or developing weapons of mass destruction -- chemical and biological weapons, which the regime had used before, and nuclear weapons, which it was working on in the 1980s.

To the charges that Bush "cherry-picked" intelligence, the commission co-chaired by former Democratic Sen. Charles Robb found that the intelligence available to Bush but not to Congress was even more alarming than the intelligence Congress had.

The Silberman-Robb panel also concluded, after a detailed investigation, that in no instance did Bush administration authorities pressure intelligence officials to alter their findings.

Much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong. But Bush didn't lie about it.

[/QUOTE ]

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Without US pressure for military attacks, no deal would have been made.

Still, his performance was **** poor. He changed his mind every other day it seemed like. Washington politicians heard that Russian deal possibility and latched on like ants to a stick in the water.

he wants so much for at least some lame brains to believe this
what did Kerry say
a little tiny strike??
give me a break
the president of Syria made it clear we strike them the US will get hit with "everything" it was Obama and his red line in the sand that he now denies ever saying
I declare I have never seen so much of a coward in the white house and him calling our military His military is the most chilling thing he said
he sees them as his bullies and they are NOT!!!!
I pray someone has the balls to impeach this son of a bitc*

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
It looks like Syria is going to abide and sign the treaty just like we need them to. I think Obama made the right decision, but, I know many people will have nothing good to say no matter what he does or what happens.
Here's a great piece

Making Sense of Syria - Peggy Noonan's Blog - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies