Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,657,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Come on, it wasn't that long of a speech.

It wasn't a very good speech, and there wasn't much for him to speak about, but it wasn't that long.
I think his point was that it was disjointed.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,811,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, Obama didn't just say "The attack is off" and leave.
It was like he was going from NYC to Boston via San Diego.

Basically he had to save face but from the several articles I've read even his own side didn't have too much good to say bout that speech.
Apparently there are several people who have a hard time following relatively moderate complex concepts as in, if <action> then <action> else <action>. No wonder most of our RW pols speak to the population in monosyllable simplex sentences as in the following. Obama Bad <Kenya>. Obama No Good <IRS>. Obama Evil <Benghazi>...

Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The sides are pretty much the same with Syria as it is with Israel/Palestine outside of we seem confused over who to support in Syria.

According to Washington the two sides are the bad guy that uses poison gas and Al Qaeda who is supposed to be our enemy.

How do you get others on board? How does the conversation go?

"Yes, we have argued for over a decade that we want you to help us in our battle with Al Qaeda but how about changes sides for awhile"?
Maybe we stop thinking of it as two sides, and start thinking it's way more complicated. In terms of Syria, maybe we cut the two sides out completely, and just start figuring out ways to assist the Syrian people. Maybe we stop trying to be the peacemaker, and ask Myanmar to try to broker a peace. When it comes to Syria, I think we need to identify what we want to happen, and I'm not sure that's being done. Because I hear talk about the innocent people being killed, and wanting to protect those innocent people, but our actions seem to be about toppling Assad. Assad stepped in when his brother was killed. Assad is western-educated, and was inclined to be more liberal when he took office. He inherited a despotic regime, but he didn't start out a totalitarian dictator that was willing to use chemical weapons on his own people. I'm not sure he had anything to do with those chemical weapons. But the guy who went to college in England is still a part of the guy who seems to be willing to do almost anything to hold on to his power. So maybe we need to find a way to talk to the part of Assad who went to college in England and wanted a better Syria for his people. If that way is through Russia, then so be it. The best tool is the best tool.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I think his point was that it was disjointed.
Ah. That makes more sense.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,909,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
President Barack Obama’s Syria address was widely panned by leading foreign policy journalists on Tuesday night, leading to an intense pushback effort by top White House spokespeople on Twitter.
In messages directed at journalists from The New York Times, Bloomberg and other outlets, the White House communications team sought to wrest control of the narrative going forward, even as the speech was being criticized as among the most ineffective in the history of the American presidency.

“Tonight’s speech was very probably the least consequential vitally important speech ever,” David Rothkopf, the CEO of the Foreign Policy Group tweeted. “President [sent] crystal clear message that on Syria the thing he feels strongest about is his own ambivalence.”

Dylan Byers on Media - POLITICO.com
What is with this sudden distaste for war from the hawkish Right?
So much verbiage and typical puffery just to make a simple point that the issue is controversial. We know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The purpose of the speech was to get American support for an invasion.
Russia's proposal turn that all around.
Obama should have just appeared and said "The attack is off" and then left.
Gee, what happened to that old RW thirst for war? Obama has suddenly turned y'all into doves - quite the transformation.
Really, a joy to watch the flailing and thrashing about.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 09-11-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
I don't hate Obama half as much as I hate his supporters.

It's true. If you see a strange man wearing a Putin mask lurking in your bushes this Halloween there's a good chance it could be me!
And I will give you some candy.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Because HE looked out for those of us, the MAJORITY that did not want to go to war! Our own Pres was going to effing ignore us!!
Ah yes, I am sure Putin cares deeply about the American people, he is such an American icon.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,451,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
What is with this sudden distaste for war from the hawkish Right?

Gee, what happened to that old RW thirst for war?

It was only in your addled imagination and repeating it doesn't make it true.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,720,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Oh, look!

It got better!

According to the poll, 61% said they support the president's position on Syria

CNN Instant Poll: Did Obama move the needle on Syria? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Sorry, Obamaphobes. Looks like it's back to the birth certificate for all of you boys.

are you white like obama is black? that would explain a few things. you seem to hate everyone. gringo is racist against whites, and use of the word "boys" is no longer allowed. it's racist against blacks. if you weren't so "old" you'd know this.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I find it funny that Obama supporters still try to give Obama credit for Syria even though he screwed it up. I hate Putin and Russia but I can give credit where credit is due.
Why does it mean you idolize Putin if you can recognize that he was the one that created the solution?
No, you hate Obama so much that you are willing to side with Putin. Putin would never of made that decision if Obama didn't apply the pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies