Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times

Advertisements

After listening to the sheet stirrers like Reverands Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson for so long I dont care anymore. Find someone credible to lead your march and I might start to pay attention again.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,001 times
The media is quick to label things racist or not racist, according to their whims.
If liberals and progressives and democrats are so concerned for all the oppressed of this nation, why aren't the oppressed doing better under this administration?
Hm?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
Racism now is whites saying an apartment is not for rent to a black person and then a minute later when a white guy walks in giving him a tour.

Its subtle now, because they cant get away with what they used to.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
It's alive and well in the mind of the OP who can't stand the idea that things are 100% better in this regard than 100 years ago (or 50 or 25). It's all the leftists have left. The irony is they're the ones still propagating it.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Racism hasn't went away, it has just evolved. Denying it exist and accusing those who experience, expose, and decry racism of pulling "the race card" is the new racism. If one party denies its existence, we certainly can't address it.
And there's one of the reasons why it isn't being addressed. Because of the left's accusations that it is racist to deny racism. It's sort of like the feminist insistence that women don't lie about rape, while when a study done by one police department showed that 60% of rape accusations were either recanted later or else the stories fell apart upon investigation. But to even point that out puts in suspicion of supporting "rape culture".

If the left hadn't politicized racism, then it could have been dealt with in a realistic fashion. But now it can't, because their politics are inextricably tied up with racism. They only win elections because of it. They don't win elections by a large enough margin to still win if they ever stopped beating the "Republicans are racists" drum. Thus you get Joe Biden saying that Republicans want to put black people back in chains. The problem is, once you've taken a stance like that your chances of the other side actually working with you on a good faith basis are slim to none. It's as if the Republicans said "Democrats you are communists who want to confiscate everyone's property. Now why won't you have a conversation with us about economic policy?"

You can't tell the 50 million Republicans in this country that they are all evil racists who want to bring back Jim Crow and then say you want to have an open honest conversation about race.

As this post just said, it's racism not to take claims of racism seriously. So either I admit that I want to see black people back in chains, in which case I'm a racist, or I'm not taking claims of racism seriously enough, in which case I'm a racist.

My only option is to opt out. Because that's the only option the liberals themselves leave open. You can either be a liberal, or you're a racist. That's not a basis for solving problems.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Racism now is whites saying an apartment is not for rent to a black person and then a minute later when a white guy walks in giving him a tour.

Its subtle now, because they cant get away with what they used to.
That is a good point. The thing to note about that ...99 times out of 100 the black person does not even know that they have been discriminated against. I once read an article where a study was done where nearly identical resumes were sent to companies, one with black sounding name and one with a white sounding name, and the one with white sounding names got calls at twice the rate of the black resume. How would the black person ever know that they have been discriminated against in such cases?

It is certainly true that black folks may incorrectly think something is racist, when it is not, however its equally likely that they are victims of racism when they do not even know it.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It's alive and well in the mind of the OP who can't stand the idea that things are 100% better in this regard than 100 years ago (or 50 or 25). It's all the leftists have left. The irony is they're the ones still propagating it.

Losing one leg is 100% better than losing both legs. Because something is 100% better does not mean that it is healthy.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Racism is an issue today and will be forever. We should probably generalize it a bit and say prejudice. Because that would include gender, religion, etc.

But the money issue is when is racism a small enough issue that it doesn't deserve government backed social policy that speaks to it?

The recent SCOTUS ruling concerning a section of voting rights act is an example of a 50 year old law doesn't necessarily apply any more.

Preferential treatment of minorities for education is another example. I think it needs to go away. Minorities have to stop expecting their race to gain them privileges.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And there's one of the reasons why it isn't being addressed. Because of the left's accusations that it is racist to deny racism. It's sort of like the feminist insistence that women don't lie about rape, while when a study done by one police department showed that 60% of rape accusations were either recanted later or else the stories fell apart upon investigation. But to even point that out puts in suspicion of supporting "rape culture".

If the left hadn't politicized racism, then it could have been dealt with in a realistic fashion. But now it can't, because their politics are inextricably tied up with racism. They only win elections because of it. They don't win elections by a large enough margin to still win if they ever stopped beating the "Republicans are racists" drum. Thus you get Joe Biden saying that Republicans want to put black people back in chains. The problem is, once you've taken a stance like that your chances of the other side actually working with you on a good faith basis are slim to none. It's as if the Republicans said "Democrats you are communists who want to confiscate everyone's property. Now why won't you have a conversation with us about economic policy?"

You can't tell the 50 million Republicans in this country that they are all evil racists who want to bring back Jim Crow and then say you want to have an open honest conversation about race.

As this post just said, it's racism not to take claims of racism seriously. So either I admit that I want to see black people back in chains, in which case I'm a racist, or I'm not taking claims of racism seriously enough, in which case I'm a racist.

My only option is to opt out. Because that's the only option the liberals themselves leave open. You can either be a liberal, or you're a racist. That's not a basis for solving problems.
See....you are deflecting and not addressing the core question and issue, which is what makes people then suspect of your true motives. What the democrats do or have done does not address the issue of how this nation can for so, so long have been inundated with racist beliefs, as overtly recent as the 60's, to racism not being a problem or issue today. When did the hearts and minds of people change and what is the proof that it changed to the degree that it can be said to not be a problem? You seem to be rationalizing throwing the baby out with the bath water. You want to throw the real issue of racism out because you do not want to bother to separate it from the dirty water.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-27-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Racism is an issue today and will be forever. We should probably generalize it a bit and say prejudice. Because that would include gender, religion, etc.

But the money issue is when is racism a small enough issue that it doesn't deserve government backed social policy that speaks to it?

The recent SCOTUS ruling concerning a section of voting rights act is an example of a 50 year old law doesn't necessarily apply any more.

Preferential treatment of minorities for education is another example. I think it needs to go away. Minorities have to stop expecting their race to gain them privileges.

No....my question was not about prejudice, but racism and it was not about gender or religion. Those issues can be talked about and targeted in another thread, if desired.

I think racism.....at its roots, have always been economics and the allocation of opportunities and resources....and humans competing for those opportunities and resource in groups. Thus, as economic situation worsens, racism will rise as opportunities get scarcer and those that feel there race is superior will feel that too many inferior people have jobs that should be had by superior people who would do a better job at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies