Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 04:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

[quote=Oldglory;31207429][quote=caribny;31207343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

If you are not implying that the majority of conservative or other whites are racist against blacks then what is your problem? I am not saying that there isn't a minority of whites or anyone else that are biased against blacks. I have never said that but let's not take the fringe element and blow it all out of proportion.

What bothers me is those blacks that feel discriminated against and are treated with racism ( and yes I know that does happen) don't seem to give a damn about the Hispanics who think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws (yes that is racism) and therefore removing job opportunities for both blacks and whites. Do you actually think that a Hispanic employer would hire a black over another Hispanic? I guess only whitey can be racist in their eyes? And yes, I know that not all blacks feel that way.
You cut and pasted the wrong name to the message body. I was not the author of that opinion you quoted.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Really! Suspect I know who you vote for.
My wife doesn't even know who I voted for.
But continue, Encyclopedia Brown.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
when no blacks and whites and asians and hispanics are left on this planet and we evolve to humans.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Racism has always been a big issue. This is unchanged.

I don't know why you say that racism has ceased to be a valid issue. It always has been a central issue and always will be. The presence of Republicans/bigots/racists/Conservatives/Neocons/tea party/Klan makes this clear.

Republicans would like to claim that racism no longer exists, even while they practice it as a matter of course. This is their nonsense narrative. On this key issue, the Republican perspective is about as credible as a runaway slave at a Klan convention.

Make no mistake about it. Race and Racism, especially that against black people, is this country's greatest shame. Always has been. We have no business telling other nations how they should behave, or nation-building abroad, when we as a society have failed and continue to fail so miserably in addressing this cancer that divides this nation.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;31207499][quote=Oldglory;31207429]
Quote:

You cut and pasted the wrong name to the message body. I was not the author of that opinion you quoted.
I merely used the quote feature. A post was quoted as mine also and it wasn't. So you're not alone.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
It's last year's Christmas present. Outside of NPR and the Liberal media there is not much racism in America the last 20 or 30 years.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
As soon as you start braying about "liberal" media I have you pegged.

Clearly you spend all day dazzled by FOX.
oh please, you know NOTHING about me. do i watch fox news? yes, i also watch CNN, and NBC, as well as CBS news. but i dont spend all my tv time watching news, i prefer programs with more intellectual pursuits, like the discovery science channel, especially when they have programs on astronomy. i also watch motorsports, as well as college sports and some pro sports. news i but a tiny part of my tv viewing habits.

Quote:
Interesting you didnt pick any liberal blacks who are also successful. Why? There are actually more of them, and many are actually more involved in helping others. Oprah being an excellent example.
because they are pretty much always in the news.

Quote:
Why not Michael Steele, a major GOP personality, who will be the first to tell you that there is bias against black professionals and who blames the GOP for its miserable performance among the black uppere middle class?
as i said there are several good conservative blacks that i didnt mention, sorry i dont know everybody. perhaps you can teach a course to everyone mr professor?

Quote:
Why is Herman Cain a good role model when he was pushed out by virtue of being a sexual abuser. Is this the type of role model that blacks need. What about the many other blacks who have become CEOs, or reached other top positions. Why is Clarence Thomas a good role model when he illustrates exactly the notion of an incompetent black. He stands in the shadow of Scalia and you know this.
cain was not a sex abuser, he was accused of sexual harassment, and even those charges were NEVER verified. get it right. second that was a campaign issue to eliminate him from the front runner position in the republican party, nothing more. it also doesnt take away from the fact that he earned his positions in the private sector. aand it doesnt take away from the fact that he was successful in what he did. and dont forget your golden boy dear leader chairman maobama did drugs and alcohol in school by his own admission. does that change your views on him? as for thomas, how he chooses to do his job on the scotus, is his business not mine. he worked his way up through the court system as a judge and as such has plenty of opinions the he wrote, justice kagen never served as a judge before she was nominated to the scotus.

Quote:
I respect Condi Rice. Whether or not I agree with her politics (Iraq) is another matter. Unlike you I can respect a person even if I despise their politics.
thats good, but again you are assuming something that isnt true. yes i dont like obamas politics, and i dontlike the job he has been doing in office, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt have a beer with him. that doesnt mean i would attend an event that he is also attending. respect is earned not given.

Quote:
Keyes is an idiot which is why even conservative whites in Illinois voted for the unknown Obama instead of him. Had Keyes not been the candidate there would have been no president Obama.
there you go again, excoriating a conservative black, first cain, now keyes.

Quote:
How do you know that no one credits 50 Cent? He has been interviewed all over the place and many draw pride in his emerging business empire. But I do know that his recording success in his early days was through glorifying gun violence. Now is this what some confused kid needs to hear?
i havent heard of him other than from his music, and his early career. you are the one that hipped me to him changing his ways. perhaps he needs to get out in public more? perhaps the mainstream media needs to get him out in public more to push the fact that he has changed his ways, and that he is encouraging kids to do the same? too bad they wont do that because he has become a conservative republican.

Quote:
BTW do you tell whites that they shouldnt be ambitious and seek further education. And do you really believe that some one with a BA degree has more opportunities than another with an MBA from a major school? If I didnt have that I would not have even been given the interviews in the first place. And indeed the best way that black people can enter the types of circles which give them more opportunities is to go to major schools, or pursue opportunities in technology.
i never suggested that you shouldnt pursue higher education, i just suggested that perhaps you masters degree is getting in the way.

Quote:
The issue of people ageing in place in their jobs and then being dumped and subsequently told that they are over qualified affects many. But guess what, those with the strongest social networks, i.e. access to people who can hire them, are most likely to break out of that. Guess what. A black man with an MBA from a top school is way more likely to acheive this, than if he folowed your advise and remained with a BA. Guess what white men are even more likely to have access to these networks.
twisting my words again are you? again i NEVER suggested not pursuing higher education.

Quote:
As I said before the issue of why a black MBA must scriub his resume to hide the fact that he is black, in order to get an interview is something worth thinking about. It reflects that many do not see the character, but see the skin, because they base their assumptions about the suitablility of the candidate on this.
more twisting of my words.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I don't know why you say that racism has ceased to be a valid issue. It always has been a central issue and always will be. The presence of Republicans/bigots/racists/Conservatives/Neocons/tea party/Klan makes this clear.

Republicans would like to claim that racism no longer exists, even while they practice it as a matter of course. This is their nonsense narrative. On this key issue, the Republican perspective is about as credible as a runaway slave at a Klan convention.

Make no mistake about it. Race and Racism, especially that against black people, is this country's greatest shame. Always has been. We have no business telling other nations how they should behave, or nation-building abroad, when we as a society have failed and continue to fail so miserably in addressing this cancer that divides this nation.
Your level of ignorance is this country's greatest shame.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Just admit that there is a problem which may or may not be due to conscious racism, and that it is in the interest of EVERY ONE in this country, INCLUDING YOU, that the human resource potential of this nation is fully developed. Because we can no longer assume that every foreign professional, who is needed by employers in the USA, will be interested in living here.

Now argue against that.
What is interesting about this case is that so often when you hear so called "white" conservatives affirming the importance of enforcing our immigration laws, their critics will often shout them down as racist. Consider, if we are going to continue to be deluged by immigrants, you would think that black leaders would be more vocal at considering how this is going to effect the ongoing black unemployment issue. I live in a state with very high unemployment, and the unemployment rate is much worse for AA's. It is even more pivotal when you consider the decline in opportunity overall.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Two issues.

1. Colleges have much less ability to select solely on the basis of race. That horse died long ago so stop beating it. In fact there are colleges which discriminate IN FAVOR of males (usually WHITE) because the ration of female enrollments is too high, and to attract the best candidates they must ensure that there are a reasonable % of males admitted.
Oh, so in this case its considered discrimination, not affirmative action? And how do you know they are white specifically? When I was in college we had black student who couldn't even speak correctly. Why would you think speaking in double negatives, and saying "ax" instead of "ask" is OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies