Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
All military action taken by a country is not automatically a war.
Some actions are tactical extensions of foreign policy.

The only reason right wing conservatives are bringing up WPA is to hamstring President Obama in congress. Republicans won't say yes, they won't say no, they'll just obstruct whatever course of action he wants to take. It's all a political ploy. I think he understands the republican playbook well enough by now to just ignore them all together and rightfully so, IMO.
\

LOL! Translation "because we dont think we will get what we wont, Obama doesnt have to go to congress"

look if you are dropping bombs, you need congressional approval. period. end of story. Bush GOT approval and you guys were still screaming "warmongeringwarcrimiinal!!!!"

Bammer is just going around congress and what? He is supernicewonderlover and no we aint mad atcha!

news flash ALL military Action except in the case of the country being attacked, or in the event that an attack is imminent MUST be pre-approved by congress.

There is no such thing as "tactical extensions of foreign policy" that includes bombs and doesnt include congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Both Obama and Biden have said that stopping Iran from producing nuclear weapons is their policy.

And bombing Iran's nuclear facilities would NOT be a war (using your own definition).

So why then did Biden say he'd start impeachment proceedings against Bush if he bombed Iran without going to Congress first for approval?

Tell me exactly what the difference is today.

Posted with TapaTalk

the difference of course is Bush was a republican and therefore evil
Obama is a democrat and therefore can do no wrong.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the difference of course is Bush was a republican and therefore evil
Obama is a democrat and therefore can do no wrong.

That's pretty much it ferd. Obama has been using drones to kill people left and right yet he's the greatest president of all time according to the kool aid drinking moonbats.

The man is a disgrace to the human race.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
\

LOL! Translation "because we dont think we will get what we wont, Obama doesnt have to go to congress"

look if you are dropping bombs, you need congressional approval. period. end of story. Bush GOT approval and you guys were still screaming "warmongeringwarcrimiinal!!!!"

Bammer is just going around congress and what? He is supernicewonderlover and no we aint mad atcha!

news flash ALL military Action except in the case of the country being attacked, or in the event that an attack is imminent MUST be pre-approved by congress.

There is no such thing as "tactical extensions of foreign policy" that includes bombs and doesnt include congress.
No we weren't. When Bush got approval it was almost unanimous and the people were quiet on the right and the left. Those who wanted to speak out against the bush war were afraid to, lest they be called weak kneed traitors.

Everything was peachy on all sides of the isle right up until shortly after the "Mission Acomplished" when the people realized that our military knew how to "Take" a country but didn't know how to "Hold" a country. And in the final analysis, the "Holding" is the most important part of the whole process.

Currently the right wing and the mainstream of the Republican party are strangely silent and I don't hear any grumbling or grousing from the republican politicians about what the President is about to unilaterally do. Except for Rand Paul, who doesn't believe in any foreign policy of any sort.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Then you simply aren't paying attention!

By the way....are you going to answer my question?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No we weren't. When Bush got approval it was almost unanimous and the people were quiet on the right and the left. Those who wanted to speak out against the bush war were afraid to, lest they be called weak kneed traitors.

Everything was peachy on all sides of the isle right up until shortly after the "Mission Acomplished" when the people realized that our military knew how to "Take" a country but didn't know how to "Hold" a country. And in the final analysis, the "Holding" is the most important part of the whole process.

Currently the right wing and the mainstream of the Republican party are strangely silent and I don't hear any grumbling or grousing from the republican politicians about what the President is about to unilaterally do. Except for Rand Paul, who doesn't believe in any foreign policy of any sort.
which begs the question. why isnt the president doing what he is supposed to do and go to congress for authorization?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
That's pretty much it ferd. Obama has been using drones to kill people left and right .

The man is a disgrace to the human race.
I really don't understand the right-wing objections to drones.

Is it just because Obama is using them?

Let's see:

Bush fought a couple of wars using mainly conventional weapons.* Killed a lot of enemy, but also killed a lot of Americans.

Obama is fighting a war, lately mainly using drones.* Killing the enemy, but sparing many American lives.

If we can fight a war with fewer American soldiers dying, why do you consider that a bad thing?

Civilian casualties sometimes are mentioned by the RWNJ's (as if they really cared..lol).

There have always been civilian casualties in all wars.

Besides, they killed over 3,000 American civilians; too bad if they lose some, also. I figure 10 to 1 is a good ratio.

*from what I have heard. Could be incorrect.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It makes Obama a huge hypocrite for one thing!

Obama said torturing (if you call it that) was bad under Bush. It made known terrorist uncomfortable. Then they would be put on trial.

Yet Obama will simply blow them to bits.

Is being made uncomfortable worse than blowing them up and not getting a fair trial?

Evidently, Obama thinks he can be judge and jury. Affords them NO human rights at all. But torture was somehow worse?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:

Let's see:

Bush fought a couple of wars using mainly conventional weapons.* Killed a lot of enemy, but also killed a lot of Americans.

Obama is fighting a war, lately mainly using drones.* Killing the enemy, but sparing many American lives.

If we can fight a war with fewer American soldiers dying, why do you consider that a bad thing?

Civilian casualties sometimes are mentioned by the RWNJ's (as if they really cared..lol).

Besides, they killed over 3,000 American civilians; too bad if they lose some, also. I figure 10 to 1 is a good ratio.

There a number of factually inaccurate items in your post.

Contrary to your assertions, Americans are still fighting and dying in Afghanistan. It isn't all drones, all the time.

No one ever said sparing the lives of Americans is a bad thing, that is a pretty far conclusion to jump to in the interesting of scoring some ideological points. Bad form...

What happened to leftist mantra of "hundreds of thousands Iraqi civilians" killed by Bush? It was patently false, most of the civilian casualties in Iraq occurred due to sectarian Shi'a vs. Sunni violence. They continue to this day, just yesterday over 60 civilians were killed in and around Baghdad. We aren't there as a combat force any longer, but I am sure those numbers still count against Bush somehow. Compare that bit of logic to the present day. Bush was a criminal for his actions, Obama orders drone strikes that kill non-combatants and it gets written off as the cost of fighting a war. You can't have it both ways. Either collateral casualties are acceptable, or they are not. It shouldn't matter what letter the person with their butt parked in the chair behind the Resolute Desk has after their name.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
Quote:

Let's see:

Because I would rather we fight fewer wars, period.

Oh and let's get this straight. Both Bush & Obama are guilty of war crimes and will hopefully pay for what they have done in the next life if not in this one. I have no use for either man as they've both done grave damage to this nation. My criticism of Obama does not amount to an endorsement of Bush. Got that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies