Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should we get involved?
Not at all! No way, no how, we won't be fooled again! 61 83.56%
Boots on the ground baby! 1 1.37%
Air superiority only - No Fly and Missiles 6 8.22%
Nuke the place, and apologise for the mistake. Oops, wrong button! Obama could sell it! 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
A

So which is it Muslims? Do you want our help or do you want us to stay out? You hate the US and the west for trying to help in the Mideast and at the same time you get angry when we don't help. This is why I so wish we would simply completely pull out of the Mideast and leave it up to them to decide if they want to sink or swim and whether they want peace or war. My bet is that they would destroy themselves and that's fine by me.
The US cannot completely pull out of the middle east, the US economy would collapse within a decade as world oil prices go ballistic.

When you say "Help" you really mean secure resources right?

Good god another "we are the world police" and the good guys believer.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The rebels are the top suspects as they easily have the biggest motives.

Assad has a motive NOT to do it, why the hell would he want to give the West a reason for striking.

The Pentagon seems to believe the American public are utterly stupid and don't have any ability to think for themselves, lets hope this time they are proven wrong.
I totally agree with this. But while it is most likely that one of the rebel groups used the chemical weapon, it is possible that the Syrian government did it.

Why would the Syrian government do it? Perhaps they are testing to see if their would be a response. If the West makes no response then they can do it again.

Another possibility is that the Syrian government actually wants us to attack them. Not likely but it is possible that they believe that the West will fire a few cruise missiles at them which would do some damage but also create massive sympathy for them on the Arab Street. I know it sounds kind of far fetched but it is possible.

Regardless of whether the Syrian government or the Syrian rebels did it, the smart thing would be for the United States to stay out of it.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Nobody's talking Israel. When we bomb, Any retaliation Syria or Iran do, they will do it to Israel. Haven't heard a peep about Israel in the media.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The US cannot completely pull out of the middle east, the US economy would collapse within a decade as world oil prices go ballistic.
What if we had spent the 3-4 trillion we spent on the War in Iraq instead spent it on energy conservation
and renewable energy?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I totally agree with this. But while it is most likely that one of the rebel groups used the chemical weapon, it is possible that the Syrian government did it.

Why would the Syrian government do it? Perhaps they are testing to see if their would be a response. If the West makes no response then they can do it again.

Another possibility is that the Syrian government actually wants us to attack them. Not likely but it is possible that they believe that the West will fire a few cruise missiles at them which would do some damage but also create massive sympathy for them on the Arab Street. I know it sounds kind of far fetched but it is possible.

Regardless of whether the Syrian government or the Syrian rebels did it, the smart thing would be for the United States to stay out of it.

Fair enough comments

I think the Syrian government have enough examples to know the US "isn't kidding" so I have to refute that as a motive.

As for more Arab sympathy, to be frank it hasn't helped against the US in the last decade, a lot to loose for little gain.

I would offer another possibility, the Syrian government staged the attack in a effort to make it look like someone is trying to frame them (as in we would be nuts to do it, see how far the rebels will go).

However all the above is FAR to much of a risk for small gain, its nearly certainly the rebels, the Assad regime easily have the most to loose.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Al Queda Terrorists would use Chemical Weapons?
Oh wait, yes they would

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

What is pathetic, though, is that the anti-war crowd has largely done silent since Bush has left office when there is just as much war or potential wars.
That is because protests have been proven to be pretty much ineffective.
Think of OWS and the demand for justice against the Top Wall Street Bankers.

Not one of the TOP Bankers on Wall Street went to Jail.
The Big Banks OWN the government so......
Why Bother.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
I figured they would wait for cooler weather. Less likely for people to march on DC..

But then I remembered they don't give a **** about what the people want!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
I've read several articles today, don't have any links handy, that Saudi Arabia, the Sunni contingent in this fight, is using Prince Bandar to negotiate with Russia guaranteeing them that the Saudis will protect the Russia military base in Syria if they agree to do nothing when America bombs Assad. He has also said that the Saudis control the Chechens and can guarantee Russia's winter olympics won't be attacked as part of the deal and that he would guarantee price regulation of oil so the Russians can make out with their oil pipeline in Europe.

It appears that Saudi Arabia is brokering this deal including using us as their personal military arm to weaken Syria and Iran, their Shiite backers to render control of Syria to the Sunnis.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
When is Congress going to declare war, so Obama can spill blood?

If he sends our guys & gals into harms way or attacks another nation, where are WE THE PEOPLE in this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies