U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How should we get involved?
Not at all! No way, no how, we won't be fooled again! 61 83.56%
Boots on the ground baby! 1 1.37%
Air superiority only - No Fly and Missiles 6 8.22%
Nuke the place, and apologise for the mistake. Oops, wrong button! Obama could sell it! 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM
 
27,310 posts, read 15,249,053 times
Reputation: 12082

Advertisements

Don't get involved but publicly back Assad, not the terrorists.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Vermont
11,519 posts, read 13,525,755 times
Reputation: 17756
Growing "sentiment"? How is sentiment at all relevant to the answer of a factual question?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Front Range > ATL > Western CO
4,660 posts, read 4,100,378 times
Reputation: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The US cannot completely pull out of the middle east, the US economy would collapse within a decade as world oil prices go ballistic.

When you say "Help" you really mean secure resources right?


Good god another "we are the world police" and the good guys believer.
Oil prices will be just fine. We only import 8.8% of our oil from the Mideast. Oil wanst the reason for Iraq or Afghanistan either. Sure it may be one of the considerations in the mix, but for sure not the main one.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,896 posts, read 11,420,019 times
Reputation: 7479
Stay out of it!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Long Island
30,371 posts, read 17,430,653 times
Reputation: 8755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Growing "sentiment"? How is sentiment at all relevant to the answer of a factual question?
because 'opinion' and 'perception' are what help to make the facts factual

example one:
several months ago there was a gas/chemical attack on civilians in Syria, the admin thought it was the regeme, but FACT shows that it was the rebels
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Long Island
30,371 posts, read 17,430,653 times
Reputation: 8755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Oil prices will be just fine. We only import 8.8% of our oil from the Mideast. Oil wanst the reason for Iraq or Afghanistan either. Sure it may be one of the considerations in the mix, but for sure not the main one.
the fact that we only import 9% of our oil from the mideast (our biggest supplier is Canada) has NOTHING to due with the price of oil

oil prices are a WORLD WIDE commodity...and they are going to increase with unrest in the mideast
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 AM
 
1,347 posts, read 913,823 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not think it matters who is President. Things will be orchestrated to create another false flag pretext for war. Its obvious that elements of power in the West want to reshape the Middle East in its interest by ridding it of leaders that do not bow down to Western hegemony.

What is pathetic, though, is that the anti-war crowd has largely done silent since Bush has left office when there is just as much war or potential wars.
Bashar and putin the dogs must be laughing hysterically at how the useful idiots in the West are running interference for them, pressing against any and all military engagements. Who need to worry about slaughtering 100,000 people, including dropping chemical weapons on cities, when the pseudo-intellects of the West, acting as if "no more wars!" is a rational policy to engage in are doing the heavy lifting for them?

This is one of the signs of the lingering cancer that was ron paul, where not-so bright nor informed people will pretend they are part of the policy-making process, by ignoring all facts and history while standing in a corner screaming "it's not our war!" while pointing a finger at everyone else.

Anti-warism is a rational, useful policy position?

Sorry, but I am not going to hand off the middle east to the two ratholes of the earth: iran and russia, nor am I going to accept mass genocide on my watch. Perhaps those of you screeching this ludicrous nonsense about not getting involved should do some historical research to see how well it has worked for the US in the past. Had France followed this idiotic notion in 1776 we'd still be a colony.

To pretend that the US does not have national security interests at stake here is a sign of the ron paul-esque, surface-level understanding of the situation, where "it's not our war" infantilism is not a rational policy.

Blanket, reflexive distrust of government refusing all of its actions and claims, professing that no proof of anything is acceptable, is a cancerous, mindless belief system that is destructive. You can stand in your corner and screech all you want, the rest of us are moving forward to stop this outrage.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
7,168 posts, read 5,106,608 times
Reputation: 2921
The average American does not give a s*** about Syria. And it is hard telling which side used chemical weapons and why should we care? Let them fight it out and kill each other we have our own problems and do not need Syria adding to them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
 
17,121 posts, read 11,115,224 times
Reputation: 15772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not our problem. We need to stay out of this conflict.
Exactly. Every faction that is fighting is awful in it's own way. No matter what "side" we take, it will be the wrong one, because they're ALL terrorists.

They haven't attacked us and are not going to attack us. I'm sure when Obama brings it before congress, that will be determined. Because he WILL bring it there, right? He's not going to just go off and attack on his own? If he does, Biden will call for his impeachment.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM
 
17,121 posts, read 11,115,224 times
Reputation: 15772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
What if we had spent the 3-4 trillion we spent on the War in Iraq instead spent it on energy conservation
and renewable energy?
Or that silly pipeline that Obama keeps stalling.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top