Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group suffers from the most negative stereotypes today?
Blacks 40 24.24%
Hispanics 4 2.42%
Evangelicals 34 20.61%
illegals 11 6.67%
Muslims 20 12.12%
Gays 15 9.09%
Other? 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
People saying rich whites are just delusional.
Well... rich (insert any skin color) are being hammered, while wealthy corporations are being protected. The first is being abused, while the later needs to be held accountable.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Poor people.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is only "some" people who stereotype blacks so again YOU are stereotyping a whole political group for the views of a minority. You're the one not getting it. No, you're wrong again. Only "some" people may think that Obama wants open borders. Most conservatives just don't want amnesty for those already here which is what Obama is proposing. You criticize the stereotyping of a few while you turn around and stereotype a whole group for what the few have said.
Come on, oldglory, we've talked before and you should know that if something just sounds too stupid to be true, it probably is and is likely due to miscommunication. You actually give all the evidence that you recognize this fact with your little "smack face" at the end.

This is what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post

This, in turn, has caused a very negative perception of either group amongst many people. In part, I find these extremists to blame for casting such a negative light on conservatives as a whole, but I also find that blame lies with moderate conservatives for not vehemently distancing themselves from that group.

That said, it's embracing viewpoints that modern society sees as extreme, hateful, racist, backwards, and out-of-touch with science, logic, and reality that can certainly push people toward such negative perceptions.
stating that a few nutjobs give an entire group a bad name. Which they do.

You said this:

Quote:
Right, it always makes sense to take the extreme fringe element and stereotype a whole group based on that.
pointing out that it is idiotic to use a few extremist examples and extrapolate to everyone. I agree:

Quote:
Stereotyping has nothing to do with what makes sense.
and provided some examples to show that people do exactly that - take a few extremists and condemn an entire group the think are associated:

Quote:
Some blacks commit crime, and the stereotype quickly becomes that all blacks are criminals.

Some Republicans make misogynistic comments and the stereotype becomes that the GOP is waging a war on women.

Some Democrats think that illegal immigrants with US children should have a way to stay together in the US, and the stereotype becomes that Dems want to open the flood gates.
You also state:

Quote:
You criticize the stereotyping of a few while you turn around and stereotype a whole group for what the few have said.
when ALL I did was list some examples of people doing it anyway in response to you saying that it didn't make sense to do so. I never claimed that these were viewpoints I held...Some people do, however. That's what stereotyping is: Using extreme examples and extrapolating to an entire demographic. Whether doing so make sense or not is rather irrelevant when it's a simple reality that it is done.

In other words, we both agree. Yet you conclude:

Quote:
You're the one not getting it. No, you're wrong again.
The problem is that being on a very adversarial CD forum, people simply THINK that somebody ought to have a certain mindset. And because CD makes people think that, people sometimes fail to grasp when they are on the same boat.

And that, my friend, is stereotyping at work...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Come on, oldglory, we've talked before and you should know that if something just sounds too stupid to be true, it probably is and is likely due to miscommunication. You actually give all the evidence that you recognize this fact with your little "smack face" at the end.

This is what I said:

stating that a few nutjobs give an entire group a bad name. Which they do.

You said this:

pointing out that it is idiotic to use a few extremist examples and extrapolate to everyone. I agree:

and provided some examples to show that people do exactly that - take a few extremists and condemn an entire group the think are associated:

You also state:

when ALL I did was list some examples of people doing it anyway in response to you saying that it didn't make sense to do so. I never claimed that these were viewpoints I held...Some people do, however. That's what stereotyping is: Using extreme examples and extrapolating to an entire demographic. Whether doing so make sense or not is rather irrelevant when it's a simple reality that it is done.

In other words, we both agree. Yet you conclude:

The problem is that being on a very adversarial CD forum, people simply THINK that somebody ought to have a certain mindset. And because CD makes people think that, people sometimes fail to grasp when they are on the same boat.

And that, my friend, is stereotyping at work...
My point was again to state that it is ridiculous to use the extreme element of a group, party or race as an example of the majority. Those who do that have an agenda against those groups to demonize them just because they don't agree with their viewpoints. If you still don't get it then I can't help you.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
My point was again to state that it is ridiculous to use the extreme element of a group, party or race as an example of the majority. Those who do that have an agenda against those groups to demonize them just because they don't agree with their viewpoints. If you still don't get it then I can't help you.
Geez oldglory, are you having a bad day? Did I not just tell you exactly that? Whether you and I like it doesn't matter, however, people still do it. They use extremist examples to make inferences about an entire demographic. Hence the three examples I listed! Happens on CD just about twenty times an hour.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Lefties, IMO, have zero critical thinking ability.

Conservatives are personally attacked by lefties because lefties cannot win the argument on merit. They lie and distort things that conservatives say at every opportunity.

For instance, if Sarah Palin had stated that Bashar was a "reformer", the left would be all over it, all the time.

Even though it's August of 2013, Hillary Clinton's possible 2016 presidential bid has already been heavily hyped by journalists. Yet, it seems that these same reporters aren't interested in exploring aspects of Clinton's job as Secretary of State. One such comment not getting attention is her 2011 labeling of Bashar al-Assad, the man almost certainly behind a devastating chemical weapons attack, as a "reformer." Between 500 and 1000 people are dead after last week's gassing.
You do know that you just stereotyped lefties, right?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Five pages in and we have a decent list. I wonder how many folks picked a group that they belong to? I think I see a trend here...

lol. True.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
lol. True.
Remarkable, isn't it?

Woe is me...

Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM

324 posts, read 655,133 times
The disabled and overweight.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The single white male has become the wet dog someone kicked to the curb. He is the last one to be considered for a job even though he has a better work history and education. If he is working he will see minorities, especially female minorities, fast-tracked while he cannot get a promotion or a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies