Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM

27,384 posts, read 28,451,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again a black people who go to college and graduate have an unemployment rate twice the unemployment rate for white people who graduate from college.
I would expect other factors to explain why that would be - for example, choice of college major, academic performance in college, work experience, location in the country, etc. You will find that Asians have a lower unemployment rate than whites.

Simply going to college in itself does not and should not be expected to produce exactly equal outcomes for everyone. That's ridiculous and there's much more to it than that.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM

84 posts, read 82,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts, you ask? Why yes, I have a thought.

TROLL THREAD

Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,278,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would expect other factors to explain why that would be - for example, choice of college major, academic performance in college, work experience, location in the country, etc.

Simply going to college in itself does not and should not be expected to produce exactly equal outcomes for everyone. There's much more to it than that.
LOLOLOL so that at every level of educational attainment you are willing to say that black people fall short at just twice the rate of white people with the same level of education?

White and Black unemployment 2012
White Black

Less than High School Diploma = 11.4 20.4

High school Graduate = 7.5 13.4

Some college no degree= 6.9 11.6

Associates degree= 5.4 10.2

Bachelors degree or higher= 3.7 6.3

Do you see it? How can it be that black college grads have a higher unemployment rate than white people with 2 year degrees? Oh I know that black college grads just fail to stack up to those white people with 2 year degrees. In fact black college grads have an unemployment rate that isn't too much better than white Americans that only have some college and no degree, evidently, black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher rate just above white people who merely attended college at some point.

How is it that a black people who have 2 year degrees have a higher unemployment rate than white people who are just high school grads? Again those black people who graduated from college just fail to stack up to white high school grads who never attended college?

Again, it is one thing to take one aspect and say one thing, but it is another to look at the totality of these disparities.

How is it that black Americans who drop out of high school had an unemployment rate that was 1.78times higher than white high school dropouts, and black Americans with 4 year degrees or higher had an unemployment rate that was 1.70times higher than white people with the same level of education?

Are you saying there is some sort of black racial defect that afflicts high school drop outs and college grads alike so that they suffer basically the same disparity?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM

62,686 posts, read 28,868,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Goes both ways, but whites get away with rampant discrimination and minorities get away with minor discrimination. Employment numbers prove that.

AA doesnt benefit minorities, it benefits white women.

I think the easy solution would be that the demos should reflect the city the business is in. Remove hiring manager bias from whites and more minorities will be employed.
High unemployment numbers doesn't necessarily equate to discrimination. What? AA certainly does benefit minorities. It is why it was implemented in the first place.

Good let's remove discriminatory hiring practices from Hispanic employers also. That way more whites and blacks will be employed.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,381,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes, I agree. The right-wing needs to be in denial regarding such issues, because otherwise they'd have to face up to the fact of the rabid immorality of what they support.
Here you go; you asked what I was referring to when I said isn't it immoral that blacks are on the short end of the stick when It comes to economics.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,092,352 times
Quote:
LOLOLOL so that at every level of educational attainment you are willing to say that black people fall short at just twice the rate of white people with the same level of education?

White and Black unemployment 2012
White Black

Less than High School Diploma = 11.4 20.4

High school Graduate = 7.5 13.4

Some college no degree= 6.9 11.6

Associates degree= 5.4 10.2

Bachelors degree or higher= 3.7 6.3

Do you see it? How can it be that black college grads have a higher unemployment rate than white people with 2 year degrees? Oh I know that black college grads just fail to stack up to those white people with 2 year degrees. In fact black college grads have an unemployment rate that isn't too much better than white Americans that only have some college and no degree, evidently, black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher rate just above white people who merely attended college at some point.

How is it that a black people who have 2 year degrees have a higher unemployment rate than white people who are just high school grads? Again those black people who graduated from college just fail to stack up to white high school grads who never attended college?

Again, it is one thing to take one aspect and say one thing, but it is another to look at the totality of these disparities.

How is it that black Americans who drop out of high school had an unemployment rate that was 1.78times higher than white high school dropouts, and black Americans with 4 year degrees or higher had an unemployment rate that was 1.70times higher than white people with the same level of education?

Are you saying there is some sort of black racial defect that afflicts high school drop outs and college grads alike so that they suffer basically the same disparity?
Every now and then, I read something entirely new & eye-opening in these threads. Thanks. I'd give you 100 reps if I could.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,278,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Every now and then, I read something entirely new & eye-opening in these threads. Thanks. I'd give you 100 reps if I could.
It is a shame that when we discuss discrimination or racism we don't do from a place of knowledge. The discussion is usually, hey I feel this way about black people(usually negative).

It gets us no where, but when you see the disparities in employment for black Americans it is shocking and striking and I understand that people are speaking out of the sides of their mouths when they say black Americans don't face some level of real employment discrimination. Such an assessment flies in the face of objective reality.

To me people stress education as being the great equalizer for black Americans but it is not.

If black Americans just had some level of parity with white Americans who have the same level of education in terms pay and employment stats, there would be a radical transformation in the lives of millions upon millions of hard working black Americans, their families, their children, businesses, organization etc, which all suffer under this racial deficit in employment.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,463,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounds Complete View Post
Thoughts, you ask? Why yes, I have a thought.

TROLL THREAD
Thank you for your profound contribution to this discussion.

Look, I made a valid observation, then asked a question based on that observation. If you don't like it, then tough. Not my problem. Meanwhile your party/movement/ideology will further slide into irrelevance as you continue to think that minorities simply don't matter to the body politic. Oh well. Like I said, not my problem.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
LOLOLOL so conservatives got nothing. SMH.
Neither do liberals. SMH twice!! You're the party of yes, y'all do something about it since you've got every body's back!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 PM

[quote=gtc08;31188513]Many hispanic businesses deal with hispanic citizens in primarily hispanic communities, meaning one must be bilingual.

Also many whites will hire a white person just because of race, and 80 percent of hiring managers are white according to a 2006 study I found.

This is the rigged game I talk about. Whites in place to hire there white friends, even if they are less qualified than minority candidates.

Remove the white hiring manager(who rigs it) is the obvious answer.[/quote]There's your answer, now get on it since you've solved the whole problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies