Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
First off - I'm a she. Second - I spew nothing but the truth - the problem of unemployment is happening to everyone. My two boys have lived with me since graduating because there are no jobs - so don't preach to me about how bad it is. It's bad for everyone - not just blacks.

So blame the conservatives - what have the Democrats done for you?

I'm sorry you're black - I'm sorry that you feel so discriminated against - I'm sorry that you are close minded and can't have a discussion with someone who disagrees with you. You are one of the reasons that racism continues to fester.

You're so hung up on the color of your skin and feels like it's everybody else's fault. The blacks I associate with are real people - they don't judge by party or color of skin - but they do get frustrated that they are judged due to people like you. You just want someone to blame - sorry bud it isn't me.

Ignore is a beautiful feature!
She isn't a "bud". She is a female and I agree that the ignore feature is a beautiful thing.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Thanks Oldglory - it's no wonder that there is still racism in this country with bigots like this.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is invalid. If conservatives are against racial favoritism than the clear racial favoritism shown to white Americans in employment over black Americans should deeply trouble them and lead them to say we have to end this rampant racial discrimination, yet it doesn't.
Most people on both sides are against discrimination and would rather it not exist. The difference is in the views of solutions. You have just yet to acknowledge that the government is limited in it's ability to effectively address it, as evidenced by the current disparity under Mr. Obama, but you can keep waiting.

Quote:
So to me the conservative position is we support racial favoritism for white Americans that clearly exists in the employment market and we oppose any measures to help black Americans overcome that deficit.
Yes - to you....

Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
This thread is about conservatives. Really it is not a gotcha. I wish the Republican party thought about systematic racial discrimination against black Americans in the employment market and were really troubled by those stats, but they aren't.

Again, it is one thing to stand on theory, but another to look at reality in the face, decade after decade of reality of a huge problem that persists and the response is to do nothing and have no ideas.
All the stats show is how horsht some segments of black culture are, that they can barely even produce literate human beings, much less ones that can achieve anything without their hand being held. You should be glad most of us do not want to dwell on such embarrassing stats. The best part is you go on to blame white people and conservatives, as if they are the ones who are sucking at life and failing on every measure.

The blame should be pretty obvious. How about start with the ones doing the sucking and failing.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Most people on both sides are against discrimination and would rather it not exist. The difference is in the views of solutions. You have just yet to acknowledge that the government is limited in it's ability to effectively address it, as evidenced by the current disparity under Mr. Obama, but you can keep waiting.

Yes - to you....
conservatives have no solutions that was just what you were saying. Everything is limited. So that is just word vomit. So writing Oh the government is limited to address, blah, blah, blah, means nothing. Any tool has limitations.

But I see no better and more powerful tool than the government.

Please explain the conservative position to address rampant and systematic racial discrimination against black American in the employment market.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
All the stats show is how horsht some segments of black culture are, that they can barely even produce literate human beings, much less ones that can achieve anything without their hand being held. You should be glad most of us do not want to dwell on such embarrassing stats. The best part is you go on to blame white people and conservatives, as if they are the ones who are sucking at life and failing on every measure.

The blame should be pretty obvious. How about start with the ones doing the sucking and failing.
Oh you are a racist, but a least you have a coherent explanation for the unemployment stats. In your mind, black people are messed up and are too blame.

I wish more people who shared your basic racist outlook on black people were as honest. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM

147 posts, read 164,646 times
Quote:
Just in case you think the differences can be chalked up to differences in high school graduation rates between white people and black people.

Here are the stats for 2012

White and Black unemployment 2012
White Black

Less than High School Diploma = 11.4 20.4

High school Graduate = 7.5 13.4

Some college no degree= 6.9 11.6

Associates degree= 5.4 10.2

Bachelors degree or higher= 3.7 6.3

Do you see the HUGE racial disparity? This should trouble all Americans. These stats show that no matter the effort of individual black Americans, there persists to be different outcomes for the same behavior.

It is inexcusable that this situation is allowed to exist, and we get people saying how black people aren't really discriminated against. They know nothing.

This is the challenge for conservatives. Systematic racial discrimination against black Americans is a fact. It stares you right in the face.

This systematic racial discrimination impacts black Americans at every level of educational attainment at roughly the same rate. The black unemployment rate is about Twice the white unemployment rate.

This is one aspect of American society that shows rampant racial discrimination that harms the lives of black Americans.

Theory is great, but what do conservatives propose to handle this travesty.
Well, first of all, where are you getting these numbers? My understanding (per US Census Bureau) is that, for people over age 25: (a) around 84% of blacks and 88% of whites have a high school diploma or higher and (b) around 20% of blacks and 30% of whites have a bachelor's or higher. More importantly, the current high school graduation rate among blacks is around 66%, meaning that it's dropped off considerably (especially among black men, now at 52%) Since unemployment is most prevalent among young folks, that actually does suggest that educational attainment is a big part of the problem.

Second, in my professional experience, which includes practicing in employment and civil rights law, I haven’t seen that racial discrimination in employment is at all common. Employers bend over backwards to avoid anything that could potential lead to an employment discrimination claim. Generally, the easiest (if not always effective…) way to do that is to, you know, not discriminate.

Anyway, I think the unemployment thing has more to do with class than race. I expect that if you compared middle class blacks to middle class whites, or underclass blacks to underclass whites, you’d find a lot less of a disparity in unemployment. It’s only a black problem to the extent that the black underclass is proportionately much larger than the white underclass.

I don't think you can expect conservatives to come up with a solution that going specifically target blacks- I'm not sure how you do so without treating blacks differently as a matter of public policy, which is, as I've said, off the table.

If you want conservative analysis on the causes of inter-generational poverty, regardless of race, there’s certainly plenty of that. For the most part, it’s a cultural problem rather than an economic one, and it’s perpetuated by the institutionalization of socially liberal attitudes coupled with poorly designed social welfare programs. Unfortunately, there haven’t been many promising ideas to reduce persistent poverty, beyond more broadly applicable measures like education reform and policies that encourage traditional marriage and family formation.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Conservatives support real solutions? Huh, funny, all I really see them "support" anymore is shooting down anything that the Democrats do and either don't offer a solution, or offer one that's totally asinine and makes no sense.
Conservatives pushed for Civil Rights bills for decades and finally got the Democrats to vote for it. Affirmative Action was Nixon idea and he had to fight the Democrats and their union supporters to get it passed. Democrats just want more welfare, more failed government programs etc..no solutions..just keep people down. Look at the failure in the Black community for examples of failed Democratic/Liberal ideas.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am sorry Iamme, but it simply is not true that republicans have not "had ideas" or cared about the issues.

However it is an absolute fact that any time a Republican stands up and offers some opinion, or some solution, they are shouted down as racists and bigots by the liberals/democrat party/leaders of the African American commuinty who cannot be seperated from liberal/progressive/democrat party.

Just look at this week. Not ONE prominant black conservative American was asked to speak at the events.

It was a PROGRESSIVE ONLY event. period. everyone else was persona non grata.

The president didnt speak about race relations so much as he gave a progressive/liberal stump speech and along with all the others connected conservative economic policy to biggotry.

It isnt that conservatives are disengaged. it is that conservatives have been shut out. BECAUSE that keeps the people from seeing the republicans as a viable option.
I think it is 100% true that conservatives don't care and have no ideas.
Man your complaints about President Obama and your conservatives are called racist and are the victims of the black race nonsense is meaningless to this topic.

Again, black college grads who have a 4 year degree or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70times white people with similar levels of education. Black high school drop outs have an unemployment rate 1.78times higher than white high school dropouts. These trends hold at every level of education.

I know conservatives want to say hey there is something wrong with the black race, but the black oow rate or black on black crime, or whatever cannot explain those stats.

The facts of so called black on black crime do not and cannot explain why black college grads with 4 years degrees or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70times higher than similarly educated whites.

And conservatives simply have no answers or solutions to that issue and they really don't give a damn.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ3791 View Post
Well, first of all, where are you getting these numbers? My understanding (per US Census Bureau) is that, for people over age 25: (a) around 84% of blacks and 88% of whites have a high school diploma or higher and (b) around 20% of blacks and 30% of whites have a bachelor's or higher. More importantly, the current high school graduation rate among blacks is around 66%, meaning that it's dropped off considerably (especially among black men, now at 52%) Since unemployment is most prevalent among young folks, that actually does suggest that educational attainment is a big part of the problem.

Second, in my professional experience, which includes practicing in employment and civil rights law, I haven’t seen that racial discrimination in employment is at all common. Employers bend over backwards to avoid anything that could potential lead to an employment discrimination claim. Generally, the easiest (if not always effective…) way to do that is to, you know, not discriminate.

Anyway, I think the unemployment thing has more to do with class than race. I expect that if you compared middle class blacks to middle class whites, or underclass blacks to underclass whites, you’d find a lot less of a disparity in unemployment. It’s only a black problem to the extent that the black underclass is proportionately much larger than the white underclass.

I don't think you can expect conservatives to come up with a solution that going specifically target blacks- I'm not sure how you do so without treating blacks differently as a matter of public policy, which is, as I've said, off the table.

If you want conservative analysis on the causes of inter-generational poverty, regardless of race, there’s certainly plenty of that. For the most part, it’s a cultural problem rather than an economic one, and it’s perpetuated by the institutionalization of socially liberal attitudes coupled with poorly designed social welfare programs. Unfortunately, there haven’t been many promising ideas to reduce persistent poverty, beyond more broadly applicable measures like education reform and policies that encourage traditional marriage and family formation.
One thing to account for the employment disparity is that the conservative estimate for the % of job openings that are never advertised publicly is 50%. Those jobs are filled by employee referrals, networking connections, nepotism, internships, etc.

Between publicly advertising a job opening and mining in-house connections, which one do you think leaves Black & Hispanic candidates at a disadvantage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies