Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times

Advertisements

A homeless man held up a bank for just $1 so that he would be arrested and sent to jail where he would be able to receive medical care, police said today.
Timothy Dean Alsip, 50, allegedly entered a Bank of America branch outside Portland, Oregon, at 10am on Friday and handed over a note which read: 'This is a hold up. Give me a dollar.'
The surprised staff handed over the $1 bill.

Instead of fleeing, he then sat down in the lobby of the bank and calmly waited for the police to arrive.
Officers arrested him and charged him with second-degree robbery and third-degree theft.
CBS Seattle reports he told police during questioning that he was in desperate need of medical care and the only way he'd receive it is if he was in jail.
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said Alsip's robbery charge has been dismissed.

He has no criminal record but deputies say he has called 911 multiple times to report imaginary injuries like being hit by a car and overdosing on drugs.
Police also said it is reminiscent of his behavior in recent weeks as he has been seen asking random passersby to call 911 for him.

The natives in Canada would do this or throw a brick through a store window, get arrested, for a warm place to sleep.
Desperate folks out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
A homeless man held up a bank for just $1 so that he would be arrested and sent to jail where he would be able to receive medical care, police said today.
Timothy Dean Alsip, 50, allegedly entered a Bank of America branch outside Portland, Oregon, at 10am on Friday and handed over a note which read: 'This is a hold up. Give me a dollar.'

Instead of fleeing, he then sat down in the lobby of the bank and calmly waited for the police to arrive.
Officers arrested him and charged him with second-degree robbery and third-degree theft.
CBS Seattle reports he told police during questioning that he was in desperate need of medical care and the only way he'd receive it is if he was in jail.
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said Alsip's robbery charge has been dismissed.

He has no criminal record but deputies say he has called 911 multiple times to report imaginary injuries like being hit by a car and overdosing on drugs.
Police also said it is reminiscent of his behavior in recent weeks as he has been seen asking random passersby to call 911 for him.

The natives in Canada would do this or throw a brick through a store window, get arrested, for a warm place to sleep.

and it will only get worse

Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
That is freaking saddddddddd. But i heard yesterday, with all those young who are unemployed and desperate. They are going thru desperate measures. Theft, burglaries, car break ins, a sad reality of our advancement in time.

Age is not a statement of being desperate, anyone can be.

Are we really going forward, or have we stepped back into time.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Years ago, I would jokingly tell people if I got myself in truly bad straits to where I couldn't pay the mortgage or bills, I would do likewise just to get a roof over my head and free food.

Of course I was kidding, but why not?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
This man is probably mentally ill. He does need medical attention - I agree - but over the past four decades, our government has basically dismantled our mental healthcare options.

And then we wonder how kids like the Newtown shooter slip through the cracks. I don't know if anyone is familiar with how difficult it is to get mental healthcare for a loved one, especially one who is resisting treatment, but it's hell.

If he is homeless, and mentally disabled, he will qualify for a wide range of government programs - and probably has qualified for years, by the way.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
"That is freaking saddddddddd. But i heard yesterday, with all those young who are unemployed and desperate. They are going thru desperate measures. Theft, burglaries, car break ins, a sad reality of our advancement in time.

Are we really going forward, or have we stepped back into time."

Don't you think this is brought on by false expectations?
Every generation except this new millenial group had things better than we did.
Our job was to make their life "better" than ours.
Don't you think we've been "killing with kindness"?
Now mom and pop have no equity to spoil the kids and more austere times are ahead for all.
The new normal.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
"That is freaking saddddddddd. But i heard yesterday, with all those young who are unemployed and desperate. They are going thru desperate measures. Theft, burglaries, car break ins, a sad reality of our advancement in time.

Are we really going forward, or have we stepped back into time."

Don't you think this is brought on by false expectations?
Every generation except this new millenial group had things better than we did.
Our job was to make their life "better" than ours.
Don't you think we've been "killing with kindness"?
Now mom and pop have no equity to spoil the kids and more austere times are ahead for all.
The new normal.

Hey i am repeating what i heard on the news, which i hate watching news ayways, always so depressing these days.

I feel that todays children and young teens have a false representation of expectations, and that is part of the problem.

Number 1 i feel that todays, kids, are spoiled rotten, if you want to know my opinion that is it. Too many parents trying to be friends, to their children, and not a parent, no discipline, and afraid to discipline. They think anything their little darlings do is cute, even when bad behavior.

My parents made life really good for us children, my parents are both deceased, and because they knew how to save, and when to save, each child got a nice little gift. Parents today not only kill with kindess, but fail to parent and set forth good examples for their child. Too many young babies and children growing up in a one household family. Some children to fend for themselves, which is so sad.

Well too bad for the parents that cannot i am taking in the footsteps of my parents, and each of my 3 children, are going to inheirt a pretty penny. Due to knowing how to save when to save, when to invest. I don't see this as spoiling them at all, this is something that each individual parent has a right to do. I have good decent children, that have never been a lick of trouble. Hard working independent children, that believe in doing for themself. The way i was taught, work hard, play hard. Know how to save for that rainy day.

And what you say is not true. You need facts to back up your statment. Many many of our friends, infact most of them, are leaving inherientences for their children. It dpends on the status of the individual and most all of our friends are leaving gifts to their children, expalain that.

And yes some parents can't leave anything to their children upon their passing. And of course many many can, depends on the individuals circumstances in life.

Last edited by california-jewel; 08-28-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:

I seriously doubt this man was mentally ill and knew exactly what he was doing if he did need medical attention and by committing a crime that would ultimately result in what he was seeking. This says more about our society than what crime he committed considering we have over 45 million Americans without health insurance. He's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I seriously doubt this man was mentally ill and knew exactly what he was doing if he did need medical attention and by committing a crime that would ultimately result in what he was seeking. This says more about our society than what crime he committed considering we have over 45 million Americans without health insurance. He's just the tip of the iceberg.
What do you mean you seriously doubt he is mentally ill? He has been calling in FALSE "medical emergencies" to 9-1-1 and making up all kinds of stories he's been telling strangers for weeks now. The local ER is probably basically turning him away at this point! No one, not even the indigent who never expect to pay a PENNY for their medical care, or people who are legitimately on disability for that matter, can just run to the doctor and run up medical bills for no reason. My own mother, who is a drama queen about illnesses (long story there) and who has excellent insurance, found out about this the hard way, by insisting on an expensive test that wasn't necessary. Her doctor told her it wasn't necessary, and probably wouldn't be covered by insurance - and it wasn't, and cost her $900 (boy was my dad mad, but that's another story!).

Anyway, my point is that based on the OP's article, the guy does indeed sound mentally ill. Many homeless people are, for that matter.

Health care? FOR WHAT? Mental illness, maybe - and if you're indigent, that help is available to you already from Uncle Sam - especially if you are found to be mentally ill while committing a crime.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 PM

349 posts, read 422,886 times
Why did he need to have money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies