Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, let's hear your definition of a feminist. A feminist, in the most basic terns, is someone who advocates equal rights for women. Does your girlfriend think women shouldn't have equal rights?
My gf is egalitarian. Feminists, at least American feminists, usually want rights that exceed those of men. People that believe in egalitarianism want equal rights for all. You will never see an American feminist protest disparate prison terms between men and women, however you could see an egalitarian protest disparate sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yay, another "I sure hate feminists" thread. I guess since all those "Blacks sure are awful" threads were deleted you guys needed something to talk about.
Yay, another liberal trying to dismiss a thread that runs counter to liberal ideology by using the same old "yet another" trick. Yet another racist thread, yet another I hate Obama thread, etc. Just a way of trying to shut down opposition without having to actually come up with any counter argument. It's up there with the "you only oppose Obama because he's black", "you oppose feminism because you're not a real man", "you only oppose massive welfare spending because you don't care if poor people starve", "you want voter ID because you're trying to bring back Jim Crow", and "you don't like abortion because you want to control women's bodies".

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suppose that you do not have fat women in Canada eh? BTW I know better.
I'd take my chances in Canada over the USA any day of the week.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sure we do. Let's just say American women aren't known for being svelte. Don't shoot the messenger.

Well I beg to differ on that. Are you saying all American women are fat? I say most are svelte.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Does pro choice = feminist now? My gf is pro choice, but she is the furthest you can get from a feminist.
There is a strong overlap, yes. Is this news to you? Just as there is a strong overlap of the "pro-life" movement and Christian conservatives, though there are liberals in the movement.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by lycos679

Does pro choice = feminist now? My gf is pro
choice, but she is the furthest you can get from a feminist
The furthest thing you can get from a feminist is a woman who feels females should be forced to breed, who sees no reason to get educated because some man will take care of her, and who feels like she is to be subservient to her mate, who has the last word in all things.
If that's your gf, well....good luck .

Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
I feel sorry for someone who's level of hate leads them to think that is a justified protest against perception.

Maybe if she had some real guts she would take on some more serious issues.

This is like a civil rights activist showing up in 2013 to protest the lack of blacks in baseball.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yay, another liberal trying to dismiss a thread that runs counter to liberal ideology by using the same old "yet another" trick. Yet another racist thread, yet another I hate Obama thread, etc. Just a way of trying to shut down opposition without having to actually come up with any counter argument. It's up there with the "you only oppose Obama because he's black", "you oppose feminism because you're not a real man", "you only oppose massive welfare spending because you don't care if poor people starve", "you want voter ID because you're trying to bring back Jim Crow", and "you don't like abortion because you want to control women's bodies".
I guess you didn't see the "feminists are ugly, fat people" posts.

I suppose my counterargument is "no they're not"? What do you even want me to say to such ridiculous schoolyard taunting?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I see a couple things wrong with this. First, the woman did win the gift certificate. If it's "men only" it shouldn't have been out there for general consumption. Second, the shop could have honored it while identifying themselves as men only for the future instead of refusing service. Third, the woman could have respected the "men only" tradition of the barbershop and just continued to get her hair cut wherever else she had been going. Finally, people who think "feminist" is something less than noble are IDIOTS.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
My gf is egalitarian. Feminists, at least American feminists, usually want rights that exceed those of men. People that believe in egalitarianism want equal rights for all. You will never see an American feminist protest disparate prison terms between men and women, however you could see an egalitarian protest disparate sentences.
Congrats, she's a feminist. Just because you are unaware of the correct definition of feminism doesn't make her less of a feminist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies