Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I would never eat the slop they serve at these places but I do applaud the workers for demanding their rights. If they met in the middle, the Minimum wage would be about $11-which is what it should be if the US Dollar kept with the pace of inflation.
What rights? they took the job and agreed to the wages. Please direct us to the constitution and show where workers are demanding their rights.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Because high quality workers and folks with intelligence want to spend their life over a fryer for $7 an hour

When you don't take your education seriously and waste your youth playing video games and not learning a marketable skill, you should be lucky that any fast-food joint would even care to offer you a job. Beggars can't be choosers.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Misleading thread title. It should read:

"Fast food workers to walk away from their jobs on Thursday. Massive fast food hiring surge to take place on Friday."

Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Misleading thread title. It should read:

"Fast food workers to walk away from their jobs on Thursday. Massive fast food hiring surge to take place on Friday."
No doubt. If I was a franchise owner I would tell them there is no way they are getting 15 bucks a hour and if they leave during their shift do not come back. I would man the grill myself if I had too.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
No doubt. If I was a franchise owner I would tell them there is no way they are getting 15 bucks a hour and if they leave during their shift do not come back. I would man the grill myself if I had too.
Exactly...it isn't the exact same thing, but in a previous job I worked in the corporate office of a manufacturing company where the plants were unionized. We had plans in place where all of us corporate people would bunk down in the factory and do the grunt work ourselves in case of a strike. There were cots and a supply of food and water hidden in the plant already so we wouldn't have to leave and risk going through a picket line. I am sure most businesses already have similar types of contingency plans in place.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
My god, these people just dont understand entry level wages. It's not supposed to be a living wage! It should help motivate them to learn the basic job skills, and move up and/or out.

I'm willing to put money on it, but I bet more than 75% of those "striking" couldnt count back change. Such a simple skill yet I'm certain most of them cannot do it without a calculator. I've been asked to leave many fast food establishments because I was "harassing" the employee's by making them count back change without the register or calculator.

There is no skill level in fast food that is deserving of 10 plus dollars an hour until you get into management. Most of these people cant even say "please" when they ask for your money. This is common crap they should know.

If I owned a joint like this, the day before, I'd have tentative offers to many that are willing to work for the standard wage in place of anybody already working that chooses to walk out to protest.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Workers probably deserve more money.

But $15.00/hour is an outrageous wage for fast food work, unless in management.... especially where most of it could be and is becoming automated (anyone see the self-order terminals in Europe?)....and is not going to happen where positions with skills required (such as medical billing and even bookkeeping) do not pay that much sometimes.

I'm sorry, but part time fast food jobs are not meant to be jobs to support a family on.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
No fast food for a day? Just head over to subway or better yet plan on bringing a sandwich from home. Most likely much healthier too.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Fifteen an hour is a ridiculous request, jsut shows you how far out of touch, and uneducated these people are.

Many higher skilled people make fifteen or less; my wife made fifteen an hour with a college degree, when working as an admin assistant/book keeper at a small business, which requires a lot higher level of a skill set and education than a burger flipper.

These people have absolutely no clue regarding economics, availability, skill worth, etc; all they know how to do is whine and cry.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
why would UNSKILLED labor be demanding 15/hr...when SKILLED labor is getting that......hmmmm

do these people understand they are UNSKILLED labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies