Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,396,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And don't forget those that then SUE those fast food places for making them and their families fat!
Got a problem with a fast food place? Here's what you do... ... until you get home and actually cook for yourself.
How about some links to back up your statement about so many people suing fast food places for making them fat? I'm sure you must have some particular case in mind, but I don't know about such a case. Also, how many people have sued and how far have the cases gotten in the process with their basis for complaint being that the fast food places made them fat? Additionally, are you aware of how much money any fast food places have paid out either as a result of a jury verdict against them or in settlement of any cases involving the complaint that fast food from fast food places made the complainants fat?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't need to do that. Kiosks will be replacing cashiers soon enough.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
And that's exactly what this type of protest will spark. The corporate thought was to always have a human face to speak to, that's what the public expected and wanted.

Now that this protest is going on, the more it's in the news the more the public is turning against these workers and their demands and will fully embrace automation as a way to hear the end of it and keep prices down.
I'd suggest these workers start getting trained up on kiosk repair as fast as possible.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How about some links to back up your statement about so many people suing fast food places for making them fat? I'm sure you must have some particular case in mind, but I don't know about such a case. Also, how many people have sued and how far have the cases gotten in the process with their basis for complaint being that the fast food places made them fat? Additionally, are you aware of how much money any fast food places have paid out either as a result of a jury verdict against them or in settlement of any cases involving the complaint that fast food from fast food places made the complainants fat?
Seriously? Are you just being argumentative or have you really never heard of it? I'm guessing the first one.

Ok, here's just one of many. You can certainly search for the many,many others.

NEW YORK (AP) — A man sued four leading fast food chains, claiming he became obese and suffered from other serious health problems from eating their fatty cuisine.
USATODAY.com - Lawsuit: Fast food chains caused obesity

Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Seriously? Are you just being argumentative or have you really never heard of it? I'm guessing the first one.

Ok, here's just one of many. You can certainly search for the many,many others.

NEW YORK (AP) — A man sued four leading fast food chains, claiming he became obese and suffered from other serious health problems from eating their fatty cuisine.
USATODAY.com - Lawsuit: Fast food chains caused obesity
Filing a lawsuit does not mean you win. In fact, frivolous lawsuits get thrown out and never make it even to any "settlement discussions."

Do you know what happened with the lawsuit you cited above? The short article didn't say anything about the ultimate outcome other than many FF restaurants are now posting nutritional information about their food. Maybe the guy filed the suit, but WHAT HAPPENED in the case? Did the case go to trial or did the fast food restaurants settle with him? If they settled, how much did they pay out? Just reporting that someone filed a lawsuit does not mean the defendant lost or had to pay out one penny. In fact, if the Plaintiff loses, usually the defendant will file a motion that the Plaintiff pay all attorney fees and costs and those motions are usually granted.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't need to do that. Kiosks will be replacing cashiers soon enough.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
Your article was dated 2011 and it as about kiosks in EUROPE, not the U.S. Demonstrations aimed at increasing minimum wage laws in the U.S. does not mean that McDonalds will change their management strategy by replacing humans with kiosks in the U.S.

"McDonald's recently added 64,000 people to its payroll in the United States, but job prospects in Europe for those so inclined to work in the fast food industry are looking pretty grim right about now. That's because the fast food giant is poised to add touchscreen kiosks in more than 7,000 of its restaurants in Europe in effort to replace actual, human cashiers."

^^^ From the link you provided in your post.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
And that's exactly what this type of protest will spark. The corporate thought was to always have a human face to speak to, that's what the public expected and wanted.

Now that this protest is going on, the more it's in the news the more the public is turning against these workers and their demands and will fully embrace automation as a way to hear the end of it and keep prices down.
I'd suggest these workers start getting trained up on kiosk repair as fast as possible.
What evidence do you have that the majority of "the public" is turning against these workers? What I've seen in the news indicates the opposite.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Filing a lawsuit does not mean you win.
That wasnt the standard you set.
Quote:
How about some links to back up your statement about so many people suing fast food places for making them fat?
Quote:
Your article was dated 2011 and it as about kiosks in EUROPE, not the U.S. Demonstrations aimed at increasing minimum wage laws in the U.S. does not mean that McDonalds will change their management strategy by replacing humans with kiosks in the U.S.
Where have you been? They already started. Havent you noticed how the drive thru windows auto poor drinks, and how you have to now get your own drinks if you're eating in? They installed automatic ice makers and drink poorers for a reason and its not to provide better service.

I know a guy who owns grocery stores, I was sitting in a meeting discussing the purchase of some of his real estate when he hear the last minimum wage law passed and the first thing he said was that he was going to install self checkout registers because they were cheaper, nor didnt need benefits.

One must live in a closet to think businesses wont replace employees with machines given the opportunity.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Department stores are already getting rid of cashiers in favor of self checkout lanes. We once had a cashier AND a bagger.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
What evidence do you have that the majority of "the public" is turning against these workers? What I've seen in the news indicates the opposite.
My sons friend who was 13 ws ridiculing these employees for wanting $15 an hour all over facebook the other day.

I'd say if a 13 year old knows how dumb it is, then I have to ask why others who claim to be old enough to post here, dont..

btw, the other poster once again didnt say "the majority".. you just keep putting words in peoples mouths and then changing the standards on your reply.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Department stores are already getting rid of cashiers in favor of self checkout lanes. We once had a cashier AND a bagger.
I wonder where these people live that they dont witness these changes taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.