Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No. It tells intelligent people that there has been a huge change in this country and "high-wage" jobs are few and far between. What part of the information, that people with college degrees are having to take these sorts of jobs because there are not enough jobs out there for people with "high skill sets" and intelligent enough to have University/College degrees, do you not understand?

How old are you? Lots of things have changed. I've seen that it's very difficult for older folks to keep up with the changes in our world and just sit back and maintain the belief that life is just the same today in 2013 as it was back in the 1940s and 1950s.
This is true. We are told that we have to allow illegal immigration because people refuse to work these jobs. That certainly wasn't the case when I was younger.

Landscaping? Forget that.....too hard and you have to actually go outside to do it.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,976,229 times
Anyone who buys fast food, we need to have a "we boycott fast food for a day". Let em send the bums home for a day without pay.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Fast-food strikes set for cities nationwide - Yahoo! Finance

Fast-Food Protests Underway
This news have appeared on international media as well.

Fast food workers demand $15 an hour for living wage. Right now the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, and Obama called for a raise to $9 an hour.

Thursday 8/29 will be the day thousands of fast food workers across cities walk out of their jobs to strike. I guess no McDonald's, Wendy's or Taco Bell on Thursday...,
Interestingly, it didn't seem to go down here at all.
Everything seemed open, based on all the cars I saw coming and going.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM

304 posts, read 472,595 times
So we call them stupid and clowns; I often get served by a lady at the drive thru, her hair is gray. She speaks clearly, takes the order quickly and then one day she was off sick...off for a week. Bet she didn't have any insurance. Maybe we should just have an ethnic cleansing here in the good old USA and eliminate all the fast food workers?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife
Amen!

Who in their right mind thinks that someone who flips burgers deserves more than some in the healthcare field, or some educators?!

Fire each and every one that went on strike and hire people that WANT jobs, no matter how bad they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Do you have any clue whatsoever as to what you support and are advocating?? The rich company owners (the kings & queens in our world today) have a very loyal subject in you; it's unfortunate that they could not possibly care less about you or other people like you. But you continue to support their lives of endless luxuries provided for them on the backs of the "serfs."
Do you have a clue as to how a business runs? 80% of business owners are small mom & pop's with less than 50 employees. In an effort to give fast food workers a so-called "living wage" you'll put tens of thousands of small businesses, out of business.

Can you say Hostess? A great example of an iconic company going down in flames because of Union backed employee greed.

Few participate in SEIU fast-food strikes in New York City | The Daily Caller

Seems the strike was a failure anyway. There were zero strikers here in South LA. Let NYC and SF dictate a $15 minimum wage within their city limits, since living in these cities requires 4-8x more income than anywhere else. They won't do it because they know they'll lose businesses.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is true. We are told that we have to allow illegal immigration because people refuse to work these jobs. That certainly wasn't the case when I was younger.

Landscaping? Forget that.....too hard and you have to actually go outside to do it.
Something tells me you don't live in an area with much immigration from Mexico (legal or illegal). Most people who actually DO the landscaping work are recent immigrants.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
So we call them stupid and clowns; I often get served by a lady at the drive thru, her hair is gray. She speaks clearly, takes the order quickly and then one day she was off sick...off for a week. Bet she didn't have any insurance. Maybe we should just have an ethnic cleansing here in the good old USA and eliminate all the fast food workers?
You don't need to do that. Kiosks will be replacing cashiers soon enough.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin

Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure it's total BS. They think the CEO of McDonalds will raise wages.
They keep forgetting that fast food is a franchise business not corporate owned and managed.
These strikers have to get each franchise owner (hardly the King or Queen of the financial elite) to double wages (and also double their labor portion of the costs) and just give up all profits or even operate at a loss because Americans "feel" they are entitled to more money because they exist.
This movement is about raising the minimum wage law. Perhaps if people STOPPED buying the use of McDonald's name by buying franchises, then the top of the food chain would start losing some of the enormously excessive wealth they earn each year, and then they may consider foregoing a few extra billion in order to enable folks to "buy" their franchises at a lower price and therefore make more money at the local level so they can pay their employees a living wage.

These people working in what are basically sweat shops of the modern day are working very hard, and simply deserve to earn enough money to support themselves and their families at a very low level. Nobody is asking to get "rich" from working in these places. The large companies who pay so little to their employees are simply requiring the taxpayers to pay part of their income via public assistance programs. Impressively GREEDY and ONLY SELF-CONCERNED. Dear god, these CEOs and company owners like WalMart may not be able to buy that 50th yacht, or the 5th or 6th vacation home in an exotic location, etc., etc. What a shame that would be.

SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY applies not only to individuals but to businesses as well. When you suck all your customers completely dry, you lose your business ultimately.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Something tells me you don't live in an area with much immigration from Mexico (legal or illegal). Most people who actually DO the landscaping work are recent immigrants.
I'm not sure what this has to do with my point. I wasn't saying that the immigrants wont work.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM

808 posts, read 663,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post

a lady at fast food restaurant will either already have medicare or be on medicaid.
stop pretending you do not know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies