Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times

Advertisements

Yes there was some publicity for the rights of African Americans during the recent events in Washington for the 50th Anniversary of the "I have a dream speech," but in reality the media, advertisers, and the power brokers in Washington have moved on. Civil Rights for Blacks are not really that important to them anymore, they have moved on to Immigrant Rights and the rights of Gays to get married.

The Latino vote is far more sought after than the Black vote. The Latinos are the new chosen group for the media, powerbrokers, and advertisers. Without saying it directly, Latinos are sexy, but African Americans are just XXXXX.

Do you agree?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
That's because the Dems have the blacks in their pocket and don't have to worry about their votes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's because the Dems have the blacks in their pocket and don't have to worry about their votes.
pretty much...

Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Yes there was some publicity for the rights of African Americans during the recent events in Washington for the 50th Anniversary of the "I have a dream speech," but in reality the media, advertisers, and the power brokers in Washington have moved on. Civil Rights for Blacks are not really that important to them anymore, they have moved on to Immigrant Rights and the rights of Gays to get married.

The Latino vote is far more sought after than the Black vote. The Latinos are the new chosen group for the media, powerbrokers, and advertisers. Without saying it directly, Latinos are sexy, but African Americans are just XXXXX.

Do you agree?
Black people already have civil rights, gays do not. What is there left to fight for regarding blacks and civil rights?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Black people already have civil rights, gays do not. What is there left to fight for regarding blacks and civil rights?
I do not entirely agree ... I think there are still many areas where African-Americans face discrimination and prejudice. Hate crimes are still happen against them. Often, illegal discrimination is cleverly veiled or obscured by using loop-holes in the law. A major issue for African-Americans right now is voter supression. It appears that in many states the Republican Party has given up on trying to court or woo the black vote so instead they are going to do anything possible to make it as difficult or inconvenient for them to vote.

Many of the civil rights African-Americans have won are still being fought by gays. Nowhere in the US is it legal to fire someone from their job for being black ... yet in more than half of all the states it is perfectly legal to fire an employee for just being gay. This is being fought in Congress right now ... there is a bill called ENDA - the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not entirely agree ... I think there are still many areas where African-Americans face discrimination and prejudice. Hate crimes are still happen against them. Often, illegal discrimination is cleverly veiled or obscured by using loop-holes in the law. A major issue for African-Americans right now is voter supression. It appears that in many states the Republican Party has given up on trying to court or woo the black vote so instead they are going to do anything possible to make it as difficult or inconvenient for them to vote.

Many of the civil rights African-Americans have won are still being fought by gays. Nowhere in the US is it legal to fire someone from their job for being black ... yet in more than half of all the states it is perfectly legal to fire an employee for just being gay. This is being fought in Congress right now ... there is a bill called ENDA - the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
I understand what you are saying, but legally african americans have every right that every other race has, so the government's job is done. The rest of the responsibility is on us as human beings, not on the government.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Do you agree?
There is a lot of truth in what you said. The Dems know they have the black vote locked up and apparently choosing to appeal to Latinos in regards to illegal immigration and it is being spun into erroneous terms like "immigrant rights". Um no, illegal aliens have nothing to do with "immigrant" rights no matter how it is spun. It is becoming popular today to appeal to so-called progressives whom advocate for an amnesty for illegal aliens and gay marriage. Blacks essentially have been moved to the back of the bus again.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

How in the world are voter ID laws discriminating towards black Americans?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand what you are saying, but legally african americans have every right that every other race has, so the government's job is done. The rest of the responsibility is on us as human beings, not on the government.
So what do you do when the government tries to infringe, deny, or rescind those rights?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How in the world are voter ID laws discriminating towards black Americans?
Voter suppression goes beyond voter ID laws.

Let me give you an example that I know of as a Pennsylvanian: citizens in this state always had to show a valid ID in order to cast their vote. Nothing wrong with that. Here in the Keystone State, Republican legislators figured out a way to make it more difficult for blacks to vote: only current and unexpired photo Driver's Licenses were considered "valid" ID. The courts struck that down because, after all, non-drivers should have the right to vote, right?! Okay, so they tweaked the law to say a valid ID can only be a current photo driver's license or a photo "non-driver's" license from the Department of Motor Vehicles. You see there is a much greater percentage of both black and senior voters that do not drive and having to go to the DMV to get a photo license is a big hassle for a lot of these people. The law was still put on hold by the courts, the 2012 elections came and went, and Obama carried Pennsylvania. I voted. I had to show ID. I showed my voter's registration and also my employee card issued by the University of Pennsylvania. To make a point I did not show my Driver's License (I do have one) because I think people should have to travel to the county seat, stand in line, and have to get a license in order to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies