Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two side-by-side McDonalds would you make a habit of patronizing?
The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages 81 56.64%
The one with prices $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid wages of $15.00/hour 62 43.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
and one who chickened out of voting.
Neither. They could pay me to take the stuff; I still prefer to put real, nutritious food into my body, not industrial food-like imitations.

But I would gladly pay much, much more than $1 extra spread for a well-crafted, high-quality meal offered with solid service at a good restaurant.
Two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why my 19 year old son's girlfriend, who lives with her parents, will be starting her career in the Air Force in a few months, and who is currently working at Arby's should be getting paid $15 per hour for punching buttons. She doesn't need a "living wage" (which is a completely BS term). She has no expenses - she doesn't even have a car.

That same 19 year old son is currently employed by the business I own with his mother. We pay him minimum wage, on the books. We would have to fire our own son if we were suddenly forced to pay him nearly twice what he's getting paid now.

You guys are ridiculous. Keep on painting your little signs and protesting the small businessman who put everything on the line to buy a franchise and start his small business. You people have NO FREAKING CLUE what that's like, the economics behind it or what we, the small business owners, can and can't afford to do. The mere fact that you're calling for a $15/hr minimum wage demonstrates how MONUMENTALLY STUPID you are.

Nuts.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Really?

How many times in the last year did you tip the McDonalds counter guy an extra couple of bucks?

Hmmm, I thought not.

Looks like you do have a problem spending an extra buck or two, helping people make a living wage.
Lefties want YOU to pay.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Which of these two identical, side-by-side McDonalds with equal quality food, service etc. would you make a habit of patronizing?

(a) The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages

(b) The one where each food item and drink cost $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid $15.00/hr?

You didn't think the wages that today's "strikers" are demanding, were going to come for free, did you?
You are loading the question because you are making the assumption that the 2 places would be identical, when you really can't make that assumption. For example, Sam's Club and Costco are similar type stores in many regards, the big difference though is that Costco pays their employees well, while Sam's Club doesn't. The result is interesting, Costco employee productivity (based on average sales dollars per employee) is roughly TWICE that of Sam's Club - so clearly those Costco employees are performing a WHOLE LOT better than the Sam's Club employees. While we can't say for sure WHY, it's a pretty logical conclusion to draw that the Costco employees are more motivated to do their best.

So, why would we think that McD's employees who are paid half as much will do as good a job as those making twice as much? That's certainly not what experience shows. People who are happy at their job, do a better job - that's just a fact - and part of being happy at your job is being satisfied with your pay.

Ken

Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 PM

8,415 posts, read 7,412,065 times
I voted for the McDonalds with the $15 per hour employees.

I guess in some eyes that makes me either a liar or crazy....

I don't think that the minimum wage should be $15 an hour, but I also don't think it should be $7 an hour or be abolished.

This week I went to lunch, had a choice of two different Panera Bread restaurants. I went to the Panera Cares one (Panera Cares). Spent $20 for a meal that cost less than $10 at the regular Panera's. So option #2 in the poll just seemed the better pick for me.

I make a good wage. I eat out at restaurants more than maybe I should. But I always tip very well, even at the coffee joints. An extra $1 or $2 for fast food just isn't that big of a deal for me.

But then that's just me....either a liar or crazy....because there couldn't be another reason, could there?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You are loading the question because you are making the assumption that the 2 places would be identical, when you really can't make that assumption. For example, Sam's Club and Costco are similar type stores in many regards, the big difference though is that Costco pays their employees well, while Sam's Club doesn't. The result is interesting, Costco employee productivity (based on average sales dollars per employee) is roughly TWICE that of Sam's Club - so clearly those Costco employees are performing a WHOLE LOT better than the Sam's Club employees. While we can't say for sure WHY, it's a pretty logical conclusion to draw that the Costco employees are more motivated to do their best.

So, why would we think that McD's employees who are paid half as much will do as good a job as those making twice as much? That's certainly not what experience shows.

Ken
My coffee will taste better at twice the price?

Tip them Kenny, tip them!

YOU can start a movement!

You won't.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I voted for the McDonalds with the $15 per hour employees.

I guess in some eyes that makes me either a liar or crazy....

I don't think that the minimum wage should be $15 an hour, but I also don't think it should be $7 an hour or be abolished.

This week I went to lunch, had a choice of two different Panera Bread restaurants. I went to the Panera Cares one (Panera Cares). Spent $20 for a meal that cost less than $10 at the regular Panera's. So option #2 in the poll just seemed the better pick for me.

I make a good wage. I eat out at restaurants more than maybe I should. But I always tip very well, even at the coffee joints. An extra $1 or $2 for fast food just isn't that big of a deal for me.

But then that's just me....either a liar or crazy....because there couldn't be another reason, could there?
See.

You prove a point that those who care can make a difference, without government coercion.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
its silly to pay more for a one dollar hamburger.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its silly to pay more for a one dollar hamburger.
Not if you're demanding that the "chef" earn more than they're being paid.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Since when is a McDonald's job supposed to be a career? I guess someone could work there and have multiple roommates with a roof and potable water...and be alive. What exactly does a "living wage" mean? If you are physically capable of getting multiple roomates and have enough food to stay alive, isn't that a "living wage"? Numerous illegal immigrants that are paid less than minimum wage have remained alive. So is the "living wage" lower than the minimum wage? As an aside, isn't it ironic that the same people that bemoan a "living wage" also want to increase the supply of low level workers by 33 million. How do you think that will affect the "living wage"? Also, if we define the "value" of a hamburger flipper to be $15, ultimately all other wages will just adjust accordingly and inflation will make that $15 worth $7. You can manipulate wages in the short term, but ultimately a person's value will be adjusted-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies