U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,080,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
What is the functional difference between the intellectual "ability to consent" of a person aged 15 years and 364 days, and that of the same person aged 16 years and 0 days?
If you either possessed greater reading comprehension or had bothered to read a lot of posts here, you'd realize nobody is making a claim that there IS a functional difference between the day before or after a person's 16th birthday.

Age of consent is a legal definition. It's an arbitray cutoff point that serves a purpose in a number of areas. If you want to fight to lower the age of consent, go right ahead. However I think most people believe there should be some agreed-upon age of consent if for no other reason to protect younger people from the possibility of being exploited in some way or other.

We get it...you are offended by or disgusted by homosexuals and homosexuality. You endorse systematic discrimination of gay people by precluding them from marrying based solely on their gender. Good for you.

The fact you should remain cognizant of, however, is that there is not one single reason to be offended by or disgusted by homosexuals or homosexuality, or to oppose same sex marriage, that doesn't arise from hate, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things.

Not one.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 8,698,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not something I care or worry about. Who people marry are their problems, not mine.

For the record, these questions have been addressed 626,254 times.
Exactly.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM

15,084 posts, read 13,736,658 times
Quote:

If you can sleep better at night thinking that I may at some point become a
pedophile, go for it. I can't change your delusions. Trying to argue that I
never have been, and never will be, a pedophile, will just give you fodder for
more nighttime fantasies... so I'm not going to waste my time. But think on
this. How could I reconcile pedophilia with my Christian beliefs? Especially
since I (obviously) cannot reconcile homosexuality therewith? (Not like I expect
an answer. This question will get dodged, as is common with any intelligent
question that would muck up the argument of someone else who disagrees with me.
But think on it anyway.)
How do you reconcile allowing non-virgins to get married with your Christian beliefs? Shouldn't you be standing outside churches with a pocket full of rocks. ready for a good Christian stoning to the death?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM

27,622 posts, read 20,173,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You compare loving committed gay and lesbian marriages to bestiality and child abuse and you think you are being "civil" and expect 'tolerance' from the people you are insulting?

Would you show tolerance to people who would equate your marriage (if you have one) to having sex with animals and children?

How about you explain why your relationship is any different to bestiality, child abuse ....or perhaps necrophilia? I'll be "examining the explanations"

This insulting slippery slope nonsense has been done to death ad nauseum. Try the search feature if you are looking for your cheap thrills.

Notice I didn't call you any names. I didn't need to.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:09 PM

27,622 posts, read 20,173,455 times
Quote:
Dude... you really need a hobby.

You obviously missed the part where I stated that the test would be designed by psychologists.

If you can sleep better at night thinking that I may at some point become a pedophile, go for it. I can't change your delusions. Trying to argue that I never have been, and never will be, a pedophile, will just give you fodder for more nighttime fantasies... so I'm not going to waste my time. But think on this. How could I reconcile pedophilia with my Christian beliefs? Especially since I (obviously) cannot reconcile homosexuality therewith? (Not like I expect an answer. This question will get dodged, as is common with any intelligent question that would muck up the argument of someone else who disagrees with me. But think on it anyway.)

I find it funny that you haven't answered my previous question. You'll get on my case for saying that it shouldn't be all about age, yet you obstinately refuse to produce an intelligent rationale for why it SHOULD be all about age. So I'll try my question for a third time, worded a bit differently, since obviously the people on this thread whose responses would be relevant (those who don't already agree with me) are slow on the uptake.

What is the functional difference between the intellectual "ability to consent" of a person aged 15 years and 364 days, and that of the same person aged 16 years and 0 days?
Anyone this intent on sitting judgement and insulting the personal relationships of two consenting adults is the one that is in need of a hobby.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,271,595 times
Quote:
Dude... you really need a hobby.

You obviously missed the part where I stated that the test would be designed by psychologists.

If you can sleep better at night thinking that I may at some point become a pedophile, go for it. I can't change your delusions. Trying to argue that I never have been, and never will be, a pedophile, will just give you fodder for more nighttime fantasies... so I'm not going to waste my time. But think on this. How could I reconcile pedophilia with my Christian beliefs? Especially since I (obviously) cannot reconcile homosexuality therewith? (Not like I expect an answer. This question will get dodged, as is common with any intelligent question that would muck up the argument of someone else who disagrees with me. But think on it anyway.)

I find it funny that you haven't answered my previous question. You'll get on my case for saying that it shouldn't be all about age, yet you obstinately refuse to produce an intelligent rationale for why it SHOULD be all about age. So I'll try my question for a third time, worded a bit differently, since obviously the people on this thread whose responses would be relevant (those who don't already agree with me) are slow on the uptake.

Griffis did a great job of answering your question there at the end. I'll add this, the reason I personally never took the time to answer it is because it's a premise to which there is no limit, what's the functional difference between a 16 year old and someone who is 15 years and 364 days? What's the functional difference between someone 15/364 and someone 15/363, 15/362.....13/364, 13/363. It's a silly premise.

As for your Christian beliefs, I don't know. All beliefs are subjective to the person who has them. I have zero problems reconciling my Christian beliefs and fellowship with God, with being okay with homosexuality. I wouldn't presume to judge you based on your beliefs. I don't know you. All I know about you is that you can equate the abuse of a child with the love of two consenting adults. And you can spin my concern anyway you want, but the absolute truth is that type of mentality frightens me. I hope that I'm way off base, but only you know if I am, and if I wasn't, then please address that on your own time with a psychologist or someone else before you hurt someone.

I will leave that matter alone as it pertains to you though, because I don't know you. Just understand that to most people when someone says "I can't see the difference between love being shared between two consenting adults, and the abuse of a child, animal or something else" is sort of like someone saying that there is no difference between a guy fighting in MMA and a guy beating up his wife. Those are two totally different things, and it concerns me when I hear that someone doesn't know the difference.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,619,435 times
If a person really believes "love is love " and all that, then they have to support all those things you mentioned. After all it would be hypocritical of them not to, if a man wants to marry his sister and they don't want him to because they find it gross and wrong, are they not doing the very thing they accuse us Straight people who don't support gay marriage of doing? Does that make them bigots too? I'm sure that the brother and sister couple want the same rights and even believe that "love is love ". Shouldn't you be "tolerant" to them too?

There is no way around this. They either have to be okay with all of those things or you have to draw a moral line. Unfortunately the gay community and the liberals have become overtly militant. All one has to do is disagree with them and then they go off on you, calling you nasty names, trying to run you out of business (The Bakery), even try and force you to celebrate their lifestyle even if it violates your religious beliefs (Arizona Photography Law). In their minds, you either agree with their radicalism, or you're marked as their enemy. This is no different than the mindset that many radical Muslims have.

They have become the fascists of our nation. It's not about equality or even tolerance, what they want is power to force their lifestyle onto everyone else by political bullying. Mark my words, this is just the start, soon we will have polygamy and incest and child and animal marriages. As the Bible says, what is good will be called bad, what is bad will be called good.

Just look at some of the responses coming from them. They're so mean and nasty, all because you just asked some questions. They don't want people thinking for themselves. Some of them even said they would be okay with incest! That tells you how sick they are.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM

24,223 posts, read 13,418,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
If a person really believes "love is love " and all that, then they have to support all those things you mentioned. After all it would be hypocritical of them not to, if a man wants to marry his sister and they don't want him to because they find it gross and wrong, are they not doing the very thing they accuse us Straight people who don't support gay marriage of doing? Does that make them bigots too? I'm sure that the brother and sister couple want the same rights and even believe that "love is love ". Shouldn't you be "tolerant" to them too?

There is no way around this. They either have to be okay with all of those things or you have to draw a moral line. Unfortunately the gay community and the liberals have become overtly militant. All one has to do is disagree with them and then they go off on you, calling you nasty names, trying to run you out of business (The Bakery), even try and force you to celebrate their lifestyle even if it violates your religious beliefs (Arizona Photography Law). In their minds, you either agree with their radicalism, or you're marked as their enemy. This is no different than the mindset that many radical Muslims have.

They have become the fascists of our nation. It's not about equality or even tolerance, what they want is power to force their lifestyle onto everyone else by political bullying. Mark my words, this is just the start, soon we will have polygamy and incest and child and animal marriages. As the Bible says, what is good will be called bad, what is bad will be called good.

Just look at some of the responses coming from them. They're so mean and nasty, all because you just asked some questions. They don't want people thinking for themselves. Some of them even said they would be okay with incest! That tells you how sick they are.
I guess you didn't bother to read any of the responses.

Maybe you can explain how 2 consenting adults, compares to an adult and a child or animal that is incapable of giving legal consent.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,619,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I guess you didn't bother to read any of the responses.

Maybe you can explain how 2 consenting adults, compares to an adult and a child or animal that is incapable of giving legal consent.
So in other words you like incest? Wow sure like allowing THAT in society won't have any consequences (sarcasm)

None of your responses make sense. It's just **** poor, illogical attempts at trying to justify something that is obviously wrong. Hell using your logic I could try and justify theft. "I was born a theif my upbringing had nothing to do with it" "animals steal all the time, it's natural".... You can use the same twisted logic to try and justify anything really.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,051,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
apples and oranges.
race and homosexuality are two different things.
No conclusive eveidence that one is born gay.

Churches that caved in to the gay agenda are those who are dying anyway, ( i.e. episcopalians, ELCA Lutherans, etc).
There is no conclusive evidence that there is God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.