U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,426,103 times
Reputation: 9847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
I give what is owed..tolerance, I give it easily and without hesitation. But what seems to be demanded of me is..validation, and I don't owe that to anything/anybody any more than my life choices are owed validation by anyone else. So please, go live your life as you want, just don't be butt hurt (no pun) that I have my own opinion and it is at odds with yours.


Tb
I don't care if you personally validate my marriage. I don't care if you love or hate me. I only care about what the constitution says.
SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Marriage has legal protections. I am being denied those legal protections.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: ridgetop tn / nikiski ak
288 posts, read 331,047 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't care if you personally validate my marriage. I don't care if you love or hate me. I only care about what the constitution says.
SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Marriage has legal protections. I am being denied those legal protections.


You don't want equal, you want special.



Tb

And while your first sentence may be true, without a doubt you want marriage to validate your lifestyle.

Last edited by Tundra Boy; 09-26-2013 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: to add
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 28,333,585 times
Reputation: 8676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
You don't want equal, you want special.



Tb


Ok smart guy, explain what's being asked for that's "special."


We'll wait patiently for a satisfactory answer that will never come.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,426,103 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
You don't want equal, you want special.



Tb

And while your first sentence may be true, without a doubt you want marriage to validate your lifestyle.
Please explain how having the exact same legal protections you have (if you are married) is wanting "special rights".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 AM
 
Location: ridgetop tn / nikiski ak
288 posts, read 331,047 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ok smart guy, explain what's being asked for that's "special."


We'll wait patiently for a satisfactory answer that will never come.


Uh-oh, your tone indicates that civility is about to run dry on your side. Tsk tsk tsk. But for giggles I'll answer, and obviously it won't satisfy you, nothing ever does. You want to get married? Go get married. Simple, you have that right same as me. So if we already have the same rights and you are asking for a change just to accommodate your group, that is in fact wanting special rights.


Tb
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,426,103 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Uh-oh, your tone indicates that civility is about to run dry on your side. Tsk tsk tsk. But for giggles I'll answer, and obviously it won't satisfy you, nothing ever does. You want to get married? Go get married. Simple, you have that right same as me. So if we already have the same rights and you are asking for a change just to accommodate your group, that is in fact wanting special rights.


Tb
You mean like this?
Quote:
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
History News Network

Yeah, that argument didn't work then, and it won't work now.
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:47 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 28,333,585 times
Reputation: 8676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Uh-oh, your tone indicates that civility is about to run dry on your side. Tsk tsk tsk. But for giggles I'll answer, and obviously it won't satisfy you, nothing ever does. You want to get married? Go get married. Simple, you have that right same as me. So if we already have the same rights and you are asking for a change just to accommodate your group, that is in fact wanting special rights.


Tb

My tone indicates that I know I'm dealing with someone who is about to make an argument that is so old, so weak, and so inapplicable, that no lawyer has or will advance such an argument in ANY of the same sex marriage cases. Why? Because those same arguments were raised - and summarily destroyed - decades ago vis-à-vis miscegenation laws.


And boy oh boy, you didn't disappoint.

Congratulations on holding views that were abandoned even by "your own side" about 60 years ago!



BTW: Where a gay person advocates to be able to marry the same sex.... it doesn't create a "special" right. Since you too would be free to marry someone of the same sex. What's that, you say, you would never want to marry someone of the same sex? Well good. Don't. That's what freedom is.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: ridgetop tn / nikiski ak
288 posts, read 331,047 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You mean like this?

History News Network

Yeah, that argument didn't work then, and it won't work now.
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."


Relax, unless this country finds its moral compass your side will eventually win.



Tb
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 28,333,585 times
Reputation: 8676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Relax, unless this country finds its moral compass your side will eventually win.

The country IS finding its moral compass.

There is nothing moral or immoral about homosexuality. It just "is" and always has been, and always will be.


The IMMORAL part being done away with is discrimination and inequality.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,426,103 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Relax, unless this country finds its moral compass your side will eventually win.



Tb
Our moral compass says that all Americans deserve the same rights and legal protections. It says so right there in the constitution.

Remember that whole "freedom" and "liberty" thing?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top