U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,084 posts, read 13,740,849 times
Reputation: 9779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
There is no proof that people are born gay. Until you have factual 100% proofs than your claim is dismissed and your argument is ignored.
....and there's no proof of an angry and vengeful airborne deity either, meting out punishments for having sex.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,084 posts, read 13,740,849 times
Reputation: 9779
Quote:

A widow/widower is a non-virgin (I hope). They're allowed to remarry.


Someone who got divorced is a non-virgin (again, I hope). Assuming the divorce
came about as a result of one or both of the two permissible conditions in the
Bible, and the person remarrying was not the perpetrator of those conditions,
he/she is allowed to remarry with no punishment.
I said nothing about divorces or widowed people. I said you should be standing on church steps, hurling rocks at a bride if she had ever known a man in the biblical sense. That's the way your God wants it. It's in your Big Book.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 5,081,372 times
Reputation: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Dude, you have no idea who you're dealing with.
You got me shaking in my boots, son.

You are clearly an intellectual giant.

One who doesn't believe homosexual people exist.

One who can't come anywhere near close to even attempting to make a cogent argument.

One who bases their opinions (ones they would like to enact into laws and inflict on everyone else) on ancient religious texts.

One who is clearly fearful, hateful, ignorant and bigoted.

We get it. Good for you.

You glossed over this by citing irrelevant superstitious nosense, but again-- the fact you should remain cognizant of is that there is not one single reason to be offended by or disgusted by homosexuals or homosexuality, or to oppose same sex marriage, that doesn't arise from hate, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things.

Not one.

You haven't presented one and neither has anyone else. Nor will anyone ever do so. Because no such reason exists.

Quote:
So why set the age of consent at 16?
Why keep pretending age of consent has anything to do with adult, consensual homosexual relationships?

Your entire "premise" is based on conflating adult/child physical relationships with same sex physical relationships. How very weak and baseless.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM
 
3,414 posts, read 6,929,499 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
We can use all the logic we want against the homophobes. They want to hate us, they need to hate us, so they will ignore it all to hold on to it. Their self esteem depends on their prejudice. Not a happy or fulfilling life, but we can't help them in a message board.
Sounds like a new version of the "race-card" song. People despise Black people for being so willing to play it in every situation. It seems homosexuals people are going to travel down the same stupid path.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
 
3,414 posts, read 6,929,499 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I am a conservative who is for gay marriage


They should be able to marry anyone except their closest family, meaning brother, sister, parents and grandparents. The reason they should not be able to marry them is because it increases the chance for genetic defects. That's not fair for the kids.


This is a more debated topic, but I am against it. I don't think most polygamy marriages are happy, and they are often forced.

I see marriage as a bond between two individuals, hence polygamy do not match that definition. But why not a bond between a man and a woman? That's because I don't see marriage as a christian institution. I just think of it as two individuals who agree to take care of each other till death do them apart.

If you are taking care of two women, then at best they get 50% of your time each. If every rich man did polygamy, then you would end up with heaps of single frustrated men. Part of the reason we have marriage is to build strong familes, and that's not the way you do it.


Absolutely not, and you are confusing curiosity with love. Kids are curious about their bodies, and it may feel good. But they don't fall in love the same way adults do.

People change their decisions and views a lot before they get older. Kids are not ready to get married. In fact, I don't think anyone younger than 20 should be able to marry.


Dog can't talk, hence they can't consent, so no.


Well, I didn't use any of the same reasons. I said marriage is a bond between two individuals. Hence polygamy is not acceptable. In addition polygamy has damaging effects, especially if everyone does it. I really don't see any good reason to legalize it.

Marrying relatives is okay with me, except very close family because of genetic mutations. Marrying children and animals is not okay because they cannot give consent.

But I will ask you, why is it so horrible if gays can marry. Gays are not going to take your women. There are really no damaging effects, and the only reason to forbid gay marriage is because its not acceptable in Christianity. But marriage is not a christian institution, so why should we follow christian rules for marriage. Why can't it just be a contract between two individuals. Gays experience love too, why shouldn't they be allowed to marry like everyone else.

I think if you want to preserve the institution of marriage, then do something about all the divorces happening in America. Bad divorces destroy families, and discourage people from getting married.
Just want to point out-
If dogs can be pets in your house forever and have their balls cut off without their consent, then their consent to do anything you want them to do is implied. If you can keep him as a pet- you can marry him.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM
 
29,797 posts, read 13,041,933 times
Reputation: 12211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
That's what the government wants. The reason why religion has been dying is because our government has been working toward its demise. Since the government has decided to take over all of the "charitable functions" once served by the church, if it causes the church to die, the result is more government dependence. That's exactly what they want, because there are people getting rich off of the present system and the more the system becomes entrenched into the lives of Americans, the more money these people will make thereby.
Oh please, let's just blame the government on everything negative. If religion is dying they have no one to blame but themselves. Let's look at catholics, which is my religion. The priests raped little boys and it was hidden for decades. This religion has no respect for women. Their motto is keeping them barefoot and pregnant and subservient to men. And you honestly think religion is dying because of government I think the younger generation is very wise and does not blindly believe unlike the generations before them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 PM
 
3,414 posts, read 6,929,499 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Where is the significant portion of the population who are, as siblings, seeking to be allowed to marry each other? Is this some major movement? Do you know a lot of sets of siblings struggling for the right to marry each other?

Incidentally, "arguments" like these are the exact same ones used by fearful, hateful, ignorant bigots a few decades back to oppose interracial marriage:

"If we let black people and white people marry each other it'll be anarchy! People will sue to marry their family pets! Fathers will marry their daughters! Farmers will want to marry tractors! It would be insanity!"
30 years ago their was no significant amount of the gay population interested in getting married. Not sure if their is a significant amount now but their very vocal. Things change. When the onus is off siblings and they don't have to feel guilty or like freaks, there is no reason not to believe some might want to be married.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,084 posts, read 13,740,849 times
Reputation: 9779
Quote:

You glossed over this by citing irrelevant superstitious nosense, but again--
the fact you should remain cognizant of is that there is not one single reason
to be offended by or disgusted by homosexuals or homosexuality, or to oppose
same sex marriage, that doesn't arise from hate, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or
some combination of those things.
He couches his arguments in superstitious claptrap, then insists there's no "proof" that gays are born that way. Then he challenges the rest of us to match wits with him? Too funny.
I could match wits with him with my brain stored in a Tupperware container in the fridge.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,084 posts, read 13,740,849 times
Reputation: 9779
Quote:
) Should people who wish to marry "children" be permitted to do so (assuming
the children also want it) because only then would they be getting equal
treatment under the law? Don't kid yourself... some kids know plenty about
love. I've been a lover since age 2
, and my development of feelings of romantic
love was at least three years ahead of the average. I can't be the only one.
Children can feel love too. The age of consent may be 16 but when people start
dating, for real, around age 12 (or even younger, these days), that shows that
they have an idea of what "love" is. And besides, many countries allow marriage
of children for any number of reasons. It's legal on most continents in the
world, and in most countries therein. American "children" engage in sexual
relationships and get each other pregnant all the time. Why not legalize
marriage of people under age 16 (without parental or judicial consent of any
kind) in America?
I still want to know what this means.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
 
29,797 posts, read 13,041,933 times
Reputation: 12211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
There is no proof that people are born gay. Until you have factual 100% proofs than your claim is dismissed and your argument is ignored.


Why the heck does anyone need to prove anything to you. Who made you superior. People are who they are. If you can't accept that then it's your problem
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top