U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 5,081,372 times
Reputation: 3860

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
...But you will listen to God.
Really?

Which one?

Thor? Vishnu? Baal? Astarte? Zeus?

Because there is absolutely no more reason to claim that Yahweh is real and all other gods are false than there is to make the same claim for any other god ever written of, worshiped, had stories and legends told about, had statues built to, etc.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 4,053,003 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Ah the race card... The desperate attempt fallacy that says you don't even have an argument. It's so stupid to bring up as it has nothing to do with gay marriage, most black people happen to be against it.

It does not matter if incest couples are a small minority, so are gay people. Eventually incest couples will become accepted by society. And your side is going to be the one to blame for it.
You see "race card" the rest of us see it as historic facts. And why are you so hung up on incest?

Last edited by okie1962; 08-31-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 10,130,140 times
Reputation: 4285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
There is no proof that people are born gay. Until you have factual 100% proofs than your claim is dismissed and your argument is ignored.
And there is no proof that one is born straight. SO WHAT, WHO CARES. There is absolutely zero proof a god, so until there is, there is no reason to believe or support the belief that there is one.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM
 
26,676 posts, read 27,666,548 times
Reputation: 7937
I have to say that I find it a little amusing to watch all of these anti-gay conservatives and their hysterical reactions to the fact that same-sex marriage is being accepted by more and more people every year.

I have to wonder what it's like to be so tightly wound that you just can't stand to see people gaining more freedoms. They are going to be happier with their lives, and the options that are available to them. That just really pisses some of you off, doesn't it? Your anger and frustration make me smile.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,634 posts, read 14,265,561 times
Reputation: 15881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

... Superstitious claptrap? God's going to have a field day with that one on your day of judgment. I'm glad I won't be there to witness it ...

... But you will listen to God. And by then it'll be too late. Disbelieve that if you will, but in so doing you are gambling "all-in" with your eternity ...
I would like to politely and respectfully voice my opinion that all of the "god" discussion is indeed superstitious claptrap.

It's mythology in my view.

Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

As a non-Christian I've heard all this nonsense before, just as my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and all my ancestors - who were not Christian - heard it. Dire warnings about where I'll be in eternity do not phase me. I'd rather be where my parents and loved ones are than with the haters and bigots.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,579 posts, read 2,227,623 times
Reputation: 1155
Yes.
Yes.
No. Children can not consent and pedophilia is still illegal.
No. Animals have no legal standing as person or a citizen.

Slippery slope arguments are stupid and could be applied to just about anything.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 10,130,140 times
Reputation: 4285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
You opened yourself up to more than a few Tupperware containers full of jokes with that one. I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognized that. Fortunately for you, I'm a nice guy and I won't tear you apart with any of them.

Superstitious claptrap? God's going to have a field day with that one on your day of judgment. I'm glad I won't be there to witness it. I'd have to try even harder to restrain the jokes if I were.

By the way, I didn't challenge the rest of you to match wits with me. I wouldn't want to embarrass y'all like that. I told one person who attacked my comprehensive ability that he would not want to match wits with me. I love how you change things around and manipulate words to suit your purposes. So typical.



I had my first crush, that I can recall, at age 2. And I had an endless stream of them since then. It didn't die upon getting married - it just stopped moving.



A very good question. I guess it can be said that I accept it because I have no choice. I don't like it, I don't think the government should be involved in marriage, but what choice do I have?

I know of no politician out there who is actively advocating for the removal of government from marriage. Surely some libertarians are doing so but they'll never be elected as long as the special interests and deep pockets keep supporting Republicans and Democrats. I could vote for such minor-party candidates until my fingers fall off and they still won't get elected. Even if they did get elected, they'd never amass any kind of Senate nor House majority in support of something so monumental as the removal of government from marriage - unless a whole bunch of like-minded people get elected. Won't happen, because, again, special interests with deep pockets... combined with an increasingly apathetic and ignorant voting populace.

Too many people believe that government is the only entity that should have authority to determine what is, and is not, a marriage - that it's extremely unlikely that any politician of any party who would advocate for removal of government from marriage would be "electable".

Essentially, I accept it begrudgingly because it's a consequence of our ever-strengthening tyrannical government. The government no longer fears the people.



Just because some of those verses give no reference to homosexuals doesn't mean that they do not give a very strong reference to what DOES constitute a valid marriage. If a man is to leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and if woman was made for man, and etc, and etc, then obviously anything contrary is exactly that - contrary.

And as for your blathering on and on about what the Greek says and how they were talking about male temple prostitutes and whatever, again, I don't give a rip. Are you going to stand before Almighty God Himself and try to play that card when He asks you why you supported something that He deemed "perversion"? Frankly, I think you're putting up a bunch of smoke and mirrors. It's all the same story - people will interpret the Bible endlessly so that it says what they want it to say, such that it supports, or at least does not condemn, whatever they want to do. My ex-father-in-law used the Bible to support his smoking habit. It's not just sex outside of a heterosexual exclusive marriage that people will try to justify using the Bible. You wouldn't listen to me if I tried to explain things to you. The fact that you attempted rebuttal of those Bible verses makes that obvious.

But you will listen to God. And by then it'll be too late. Disbelieve that if you will, but in so doing you are gambling "all-in" with your eternity.
You fail the moment you use god as your reason to deny gays full equal treatment. YOUR god means squat and any true intellectual would recognize that there is zero, zilch, nada proof of a god. There is more proof that gays did not choose to be gay and the proof is us, we are the living, breathing proof, your god does not exist, he is a figment of the ancient peoples imagination. They had no science, they had no explanation for what happened around them, so an almighty being was imagined to control all events that seemed supernatural. It was their god that created an earthquake to shake them up, a flood was brought upon by their god to punish them for their behavior. It became an answer for anything they could not explain. But there is not a god or creater, we should be past that and going forward intellectually.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 4,053,003 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have to say that I find it a little amusing to watch all of these anti-gay conservatives and their hysterical reactions to the fact that same-sex marriage is being accepted by more and more people every year.

I have to wonder what it's like to be so tightly wound that you just can't stand to see people gaining more freedoms. They are going to be happier with their lives, and the options that are available to them. That just really pisses some of you off, doesn't it? Your anger and frustration make me smile.
I'm glad I **** them off! I also love the way they use their bible for an instruction manual for hate.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM
 
29,797 posts, read 13,041,933 times
Reputation: 12211
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I'm glad I **** them off! I also love the way they use their bible for an instruction manual for hate.
I just don't get it. I was raised catholic and was never taught this hate. We were taught that we are all gods children. We were taught to accept and respect anyone who was different.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 4,053,003 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I just don't get it. I was raised catholic and was never taught this hate. We were taught that we are all gods children. We were taught to accept and respect anyone who was different.
I was reared the same way but in a baptist church. In church everyone loves all folks, but rest of the time it's all hate, you only have to looks at the post here on CD to see what I am talking about.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top